Tisk tisk... NBA finals viewership

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2020, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,037 Times in 5,329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've enjoyed watching Brady playing for Tampa, but that's the extent of it for me. I too find the 'canned' crowd noise silly and annoying...like we needed to know when to cheer, hoot and holla??? The cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands is truly laughable.

The good news for me is that I really don't care who wins anymore...I will no longer stay up to watch the 8 0'clock games and even if Brady is playing a 4 o'clock game when dinner is ready I'll turn off the game, and chow down
My son taught me a better way to watch football.

Tape the game say starting at say 1 pm and than sit down watch starting at 2.

Fast forward thru all the dead time (and there is lots of it) and in the fourth quarter we typically of catch up and decide if game is worth watching..
Old 10-05-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
NBA viewership keeps sinking: Game 2 of NBA finals was reportedly the least-watched NBA finals game on record. Article link below.
People make choices. Pro sports (especially NBA) wants to focus on police brutality. I believe there needs to be a more balanced discussion of "black lives matter." I believe a discussion of the killing of blacks in the inner city is a more relevant discussion.
Maybe LeBron will be a little more attentive if ratings tank. Just like he's a little more concerned with his own and the league’s bottom line than fundamental human rights. LeBron has deep, lucrative ties to China because of his partnership with Nike, which does considerable business there.

NBA viewership keeps sinking: Game 2 of NBA finals the least-watched game on record
Your source (Washington Examiner) is spinning the story a bit..

From Sports Media Watch, viewership is hitting record lows for a lot of sports including golf's US Open final round. Theories trying to put political ties to the decline are...well...just BS.
The steep decline and record-low is in keeping with the trend for sporting events rescheduled from their traditional times of year. Stanley Cup Final viewership sank 61% to a 13-year low; the Kentucky Derby 43% to a record-low; the final round of golf’s U.S. Open 56% to a record-low; the Indy 500 a comparably modest 32% to a record-low. All of those events, like the NBA Finals, are staples of May and June that were relocated to August and September.

NBA Finals opens with record-low audience - Sports Media Watch
Old 10-05-2020, 01:28 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I've enjoyed watching Brady playing for Tampa, but that's the extent of it for me. I too find the 'canned' crowd noise silly and annoying...like we needed to know when to cheer, hoot and holla??? The cardboard cutouts of fans in the stands is truly laughable.
Completely, totally, absolutely agree with you on All points. Lived outside Boston for 20 years. Down here for 15 and still like to follow TB12. Even bought a TB Brady #12 jersey. I will watch TB games and quickly check out others. The canned noise and cutouts are truly juvenile.

For those bettors - I will put up $1,000 that the K.C. Chiefs will win this year's Super Bowl. I'll even give points.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

Fast forward thru all the dead time (and there is lots of it) and in the fourth quarter we typically of catch up and decide if game is worth watching..
I do that all the time - haven't watched a commercial since the Super Bowl. And, we have DirecTV. Our remote has a 20-second fast forward. PERFECT to use between football plays - if one only wants to see the action.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
You don’t want to watch basketball, don’t watch , you don’t want to watch football don’t watch ,this look at me I’m boycotting sports attitude is comical even more laughable is one or two guy after. Seeing my patriots hat in Publix feel the need to tell me there not watching football I usually say with a straight face excuse me are you talking to me and move on
And why would anybody care what hats people wear, especially sports hats. There not hero’s.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:14 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

DirecTV has provided me, unrequested, FREE NFL Sunday Ticket Max for the season. Now why would they do that if not to increase the viewing numbers for various reasons? I have not taken the bait and frankly have lost all stomach for watching NFL games for obvious reasons.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post

I have been doing that for many years........
Old 10-05-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
DirecTV has provided me, unrequested, FREE NFL Sunday Ticket Max for the season. Now why would they do that if not to increase the viewing numbers for various reasons? I have not taken the bait and frankly have lost all stomach for watching NFL games for obvious reasons.
Take the political blinders off. Its definitely bait, but not because of NFL viewership. DirecTV is hemorrhaging subscribers for the last several years. So the bait is to get you to subscribe to their overall DirecTV service; not to boost NFL viewership.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:41 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
Take the political blinders off. Its definitely bait, but not because of NFL viewership. DirecTV is hemorrhaging subscribers for the last several years. So the bait is to get you to subscribe to their overall DirecTV service; not to boost NFL viewership.
I have had DirecTV for years, the same package. This is the first time it has ever offered me this NFL or for that manner any extra package free. It is no coincidence.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-05-2020, 06:34 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

The NBA made their bed and now they're lying in it. They can thank one, Lebron James, for their demise. Moral? Never do business with one who thinks Communism is OK.

Tags
nba, finals, discussion, tisk, lebron

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.