Today's paper weather emphasis...another sign of media theatrics/emphasis?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Today's paper weather emphasis...another sign of media theatrics/emphasis?

The front page news this morning was all about the "bomb" storms.
Before the advent of 24/7 news this was nothing more than a winter storm back in Erie, PA.

Now it has all the pin point focus or a wind blown spot or a dune forming or somebody walking against the wind driven snow.

I do believe the weather is a simple example of all the rest of the news and how reported.

In my humble opinion.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Before the advent of 24/7 news this was nothing more than a winter storm back in Erie, PA.

Now it has all the pin point focus or a wind blown spot or a dune forming or somebody walking against the wind driven snow.

I do believe the weather is a simple example of all the rest of the news and how reported.

In my humble opinion.

I understand your skepticism but it does appear to be a winter storm coupled with level one tornadoes and it is widespread in the upper middle west and across the map. I don't like their use of the word "bomb" and I think it was first used last year. Early spring is the time for the most tornados in the very place they are happening, but it usually follows a very warm day.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-15-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

In my humble opinion.
"Back in Erie", did the weather folks have all the tools they have today ?

"Back in Erie", did the weather folks have their own channel and educated meteorologist's available ?

Are we now calling the weather report "fake news" ?
Old 03-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

"Back in Erie" did you ever see a storm pick up an 18 wheeler and turn it upside down while several feet of the ground?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-15-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
"Back in Erie" did you ever see a storm pick up an 18 wheeler and turn it upside down while several feet of the ground?
Didn't get that channel that may have reported something like that from anywhere....facts is, weather was all local unless killing folks like an intense hurricane.

We are moving forward......cable TV has lots of ears and eyes, and time to fill and that includes the weather guys.

Actually, they are very educational and sure have learned lot I did not know from watching.

No ipads for weather, "back in Erie", and Erie, a great city by the way, didn't know the weather in St Mary's (adjoining city)
Old 03-15-2019, 02:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
That was something to see JoMar.

Here it is;

Semi truck blown over by 'bomb cyclone' winds (Video) Any Articles News - YouTube
Old 03-15-2019, 02:47 PM
Sage

The term "bomb" has been around for at least 30 years, that I can remember, perhaps longer. While not particularly "scientific" sounding, it does have a pressure fall rate associated with it. I can't remember the exact value, something like 24 millibars in 24 hours, weighted by the sine of the latitude, or something like that. It is essentially a hole in the atmosphere and does occur fairly often. There is certainly more attention (i.e. advertising dollars) associated with weather events today that were just as common in the past. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I understand your skepticism but it does appear to be a winter storm coupled with level one tornadoes and it is widespread in the upper middle west and across the map. I don't like their use of the word "bomb" and I think it was first used last year. Early spring is the time for the most tornados in the very place they are happening, but it usually follows a very warm day.

Last edited by biker1; 03-15-2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
The term "bomb" has been around for at least 30 years, that I can remember, perhaps longer. While not particularly "scientific" sounding, it does have a pressure fall rate associated with it. I can't remember the exact value, something like 24 millibars in 24 hours, weighted by the sine of the latitude, or something like that. It is essentially a hole in the atmosphere and does occur fairly often. There is certainly more attention (i.e. advertising dollars) associated with weather events today that were just as common in the past. It is what it is.
You are right Biker.

I just never heard it before last year. But a huge drop in pressure triggers it.

I remember when you weren't so quick to correct me.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:16 PM
Sage

I know I am right - a 40 year career. Just setting the record straight, sorry if it ruffled your feathers. Certain flow patterns result in very large pressure falls - it actually happens fairly often over water. Don't get all wrapped up with the terminology. It is nature's way of moving cold air south and warm air north.

Quote:
Quote:
You are right Biker.

I just never heard it before last year. But a huge drop in pressure triggers it.

I remember when you weren't so quick to correct me.

Last edited by biker1; 03-15-2019 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:19 PM

All fake news. Just have to try to weed it out as best we can. Comes at us from all directions.....
Royal Air Force Benson, England
Eielson Air Force Base, AK, Clark AFB, Philippines
Kadena AFB, Okinawa Japan, Yakota AFB, Japan
Osan AB, Pyeongtaek, South Korea, Yangsan Army Garrison, Seoul South Korea
Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Sage

Fake news? Nope. Somewhat sensationalized (exploited) for advertising purposes? Probably. As weather events go, it was an impressive case. People were impacted, big time. I don't know if anyone died but I wouldn't be surprised. People dying is hardly fake news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
All fake news. Just have to try to weed it out as best we can. Comes at us from all directions.....

Last edited by biker1; 03-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I know I am right - a 40 year career. Just setting the record straight, sorry if it ruffled your feathers. Certain flow patterns result in very large pressure falls - it actually happens fairly often over water. Don't get all wrapped up with the terminology. It is nature's way of moving cold air south and warm air north.
Correct and this type activity by news outlets is fair but not unheard of.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage

Silly me. I really thought this thread was about the weather and how frequently weather conditions are "hyped" and storms just pass us by.

But I have reread this thread three times and I read and feel antagonism that is not warranted.

And do not understand most of the posts to be frank.

There are "bomb cyclones" happening across the U.S. which means tornadoes produced by a huge change in air pressure over a very short time. The winds produced are strong enough to tear off roofs and topple 18 wheelers.

You can call it Ray or you can call it Fay.

OR you can read much more into it.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Silly me. I really thought this thread was about the weather and how frequently weather conditions are "hyped" and storms just pass us by.

But I have reread this thread three times and I read and feel antagonism that is not warranted.

There are "bomb cyclones" happening across the U.S. which means tornadoes produced by a huge change in air pressure over a very short time. The winds produced are strong enough to tear off roofs and topple 18 wheelers.

if I misread..sorry, but....

Closing line before signature...

TITLE OF THREAD....ENDING..

"Another sign of media theatrics/emphasis"

So if I misread the intent, this is why. Of course I am stupid and non sophisticated and took the words literally.

I do not believe it is any sign of anything, and I also responded to his memories, when the information and means did not exist.

His summary is what I find a bit offensive. He actually was quite dismissive of the term "bomb" and I saw no mention of The Villages storms or them passing us by. That would actually be a discussion of weather

Last edited by Bucco; 03-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Sage

This is wrong. While some deep low pressure centers do spawn tornadoes, it is not the norm and it would be incorrect to assume that tornadoes are typical. Regardless, the post is pretty much pointless. If someone wants to start a post about weather, please do so. I will be happy to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Quote:

Closed Thread

Tags
news, weather, wind, walking, spot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.