Dumbest car feature ever designed

Closed Thread
Old 03-17-2019, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts
Default Dumbest car feature ever designed

I have a 2017 Ford Escape. Whenever I start the vehicle, I need to remember to push a button on the dashboard that turns off the automatic engine shutdown feature. When I forget to push the button, the engine will shut off every time I stop the vehicle at a red light or stop sign. I guess this is supposed to save gas, but I hate the feature and will never buy another car that has it. Does anyone else have this feature and do you like it? Is there any plan to eliminate it on future vehicles?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:33 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

I have been told it is required on all gasoline powered passenger vehicles sold in the USA courtesy of our all seeing and all knowing government. My 2017 BMW X5 xDrive50i has it. When mine is turned off it remains turned off when I restart the engine although at times I inadvertently push the button which is adjacent the starter button on the vehicle, thereby reactivating this extremely annoying feature.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage

I have a friend who has a 2018 Lexus that does not have the feature.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When I forget to push the button, the engine will shut off every time I stop the vehicle at a red light or stop sign. I guess this is supposed to save gas...
It reduces air pollution. Saving gas is an added benefit.

Admittedly, it takes a bit of getting used to.

Most cars have the option to turn it off until you choose to turn it on again, so why Ford took a different route...
Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
I have a friend who has a 2018 Lexus that does not have the feature.
I just found that not all cars have it and whether it is "latching" or "nonlatching" depends on the manufacturer. The Real Reason Stop/Start Systems Won’t Stay Turned Off | News | Car and Driver

Also vehicles that have it have beefed up bearings and starters. What is auto stop start and does it cause more wear and tear on my car?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-17-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

I always thought that starting a car took more energy than idling it for 2 minutes. If you have to start it up every time you're at a stop light or even a stop sign, it seems to me you'd be burning a LOT more gas than if you just idled til it was time to go again.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:17 PM

I've had it on my last 3 vehicles. Don't have a problem with it. Even the golf cart engine stops when I stop. Hmmm...
Old 03-17-2019, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I always thought that starting a car took more energy than idling it for 2 minutes.
That used to be the case, but modern computerized fuel injection systems are more efficient than the carburetors of old.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Veteran member

I have automatic stop/start on my car and don't have problem with it, though it does take getting used to. I know some people hate it and will go to great lengths to defeat it including hacking the car computer to keep it turned off. If you search online for your car model and auto stop start elminate you will probably find directions or a product that will hack its computer that will keep it shut off.

Auto stop/start does not use more gas than leaving the car idle, it uses less. That's why mfg's add it to cars. It's not like you have to pull out the choke to richen up the mixture to start a car that was just shut down.

However it does drain your battery to keep all the fans and electronics going. A lot of auto stop/start cars will start the engine up after a stop before you take your foot off the brake if you are stopped for too long.

I don't know if auto stop/start is mandated but it will probably be the norm on most cars soon if it is not already. Manufactures will do anything to boost their EPA numbers.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,931 Times in 2,454 Posts

So, that’s why I got to set in line at stop lights for all the cars to start up before they move and I miss the light.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Location: Brooklyn, Staten Island, Mount Hope, NY, Villa De Laguna

And i thought from the title it was about turn signals.
Old 03-17-2019, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

The least they could do is let you know when they loan you a car or truck. We zipped out of Village Ford, A great dealer in a loner F350 Behemoth. It was as comfortable as driving from your Living Room Couch. When we stopped at the first Red Light it started getting warm inside the truck, these Florida Traffic Lights leave you there so long you could need a shave by the time it turns green. Anyway, keys out the hood open, engine to high didn't see anything wrong, no steam or garbage that was obvious so back in and it started up and we made it home. I called Mrs. Jay at the dealer and that's when I found out, we were the victim of more technology. There was a way to program it to stay off all the time and until you find out what it just drive the Escape in the Sports Mode. No Charge, I hope it works and programming the real fix is a walk in the park.

Last edited by Nucky; 03-17-2019 at 08:32 PM. Reason: lone vs loan = tired
Old 03-17-2019, 06:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
The least they could do is let you know when they lone you a car or truck. We zipped out of Village Ford, A great dealer in a loner F350 Behemoth. It was as comfortable as driving from your Living Room Couch. When we stopped at the first Red Light it started getting warm inside the truck, these Florida Traffic Lights leave you there so long you could need a shave by the time it turns green. Anyway, keys out the hood open, engine to high didn't see anything wrong, no steam or garbage that was obvious so back in and it started up and we made it home. I called Mrs. Jay at the dealer and that's when I found out, we were the victim of more technology. There was a way to program it to stay off all the time and until you find out what it just drive the Escape in the Sports Mode. No Charge, I hope it works and programming the real fix is a walk in the park.
If you have a programing fix, I sure would like to know what it is. The only thing I could find on google was to remove part of the dashboard and wire the contacts together, which I don't want to do. As far as I know, there is no program fix, but please let me know if there is one. My Escape doesn't have a sport mode.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 03-17-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, that’s why I got to set in line at stop lights for all the cars to start up before they move and I miss the light.
Should be a nano second for the car to start; our Traverse starts as soon as my foot leaves the brake. So the reason you’re having to wait is probably for the idiots to quit playing ticky tac on their phones and realize the light has turned green.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Default My opinion

Quote:
I have a 2017 Ford Escape. Whenever I start the vehicle, I need to remember to push a button on the dashboard that turns off the automatic engine shutdown feature. When I forget to push the button, the engine will shut off every time I stop the vehicle at a red light or stop sign. I guess this is supposed to save gas, but I hate the feature and will never buy another car that has it. Does anyone else have this feature and do you like it? Is there any plan to eliminate it on future vehicles?
As said in reply #9-I doubt you are the only person who objects to this ?????? feature???????

I would expect, if your research it on the internet, there is a way to disable it. Before you do any such thing I would check to be sure it does not void your warranty.
Closed Thread

Tags
feature, button, push, stop, engine

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.