Today's paper weather emphasis...another sign of media theatrics/emphasis?

Closed Thread
Old 03-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Are you waiting for a Bombshell report on the Bombed out weather report?

Bomb, Bomb, BombShell! Enough already.

I'm not sure of the guy's name on Wesh 2 News but before Irma, this guy had us more upset by his reporting theatrics than the actual storm did. We were very new and between him acting up and the Weather Radio, we were going nuts. I put my faith in Tuccillo on TOTV because it was all facts and no add on info to upset us.

We have come to really like the guy Tony Mainolfi but will never forget his BombShell reporting. We just were not accustomed to his style.

Billy, I like your post and understand what you were saying, no problem you are correct. A big show for NOTHING.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I know I am right - a 40 year career. Just setting the record straight, sorry if it ruffled your feathers. Certain flow patterns result in very large pressure falls - it actually happens fairly often over water. Don't get all wrapped up with the terminology. It is nature's way of moving cold air south and warm air north.
I had no idea you were a meteorologist. I had not heard the term "bomb cyclone" until recently.

This explains why...….

This Is The Man To Blame For The Term 'Bomb Cyclone' | HuffPost
Old 03-16-2019, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Advances in predicting weather events has increased in accuracy tremendously... in the last 20 years or so.

Anything used to make people take dangerous weather more seriously, or to make them stay at home during the peak...is fine in my book.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Fake news? Nope. Somewhat sensationalized (exploited) for advertising purposes? Probably. As weather events go, it was an impressive case. People were impacted, big time. I don't know if anyone died but I wouldn't be surprised. People dying is hardly fake news.
Not sensationalized if you live along the Midwest waterways. IMO the flood in Midwest will probably go down as the worst since record keeping.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Advances in predicting weather events has increased in accuracy tremendously... in the last 20 years or so.

Anything used to make people take dangerous weather more seriously, or to make them stay at home during the peak...is fine in my book.
So, who still thinks this 'bomb cyclone' weather event, that triggered so much devastation (and which has just begun, as more spring melting takes place)...was "over-hyped?"

Bomb Cyclone (poke here)

Quote:
The "bomb cyclone" storm that bloated rivers as it roared through much of the Midwest last week combined with spring snowmelt Sunday to drive some Midwest rivers to record levels and forced people in hundreds of homes to evacuate.

While there may be a few Floridians raising their hands right now, I don't think you'll find too many of even those still saying it...once the full ramifications to farmers and "our country's breadbasket" are calculated.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We can't relate the weather that is happening right now to what was going on when we were kids. Walking to school in February with the snot freezing the insides of your nose together was one thing. This is different. People are losing power for weeks. Storms are stronger. More people are dying. This isn't your grandmother's weather.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We can't relate the weather that is happening right now to what was going on when we were kids. Walking to school in February with the snot freezing the insides of your nose together was one thing. This is different. People are losing power for weeks. Storms are stronger. More people are dying. This isn't your grandmother's weather.
Yep.

With so many historical records being broken, or equaled, in so many places in recent years...this IS the 'new normal.'

Even though, my record of walking to school 50 miles every day, one-way, up-the-mountain in both directions...will probably never be broken.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

With so many historical records being broken, or equaled, in so many places in recent years...this IS the 'new normal.'

Even though, my record of walking to school 50 miles every day, one-way, up-the-mountain in both directions...will probably never be broken.
Did you forget you did that barefoot?
Old 03-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Did you forget you did that barefoot?
I just thought it went, along with having only a t-shirt at -30 and 40mph winds...without saying.
Closed Thread

Tags
news, weather, wind, walking, spot

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.