Today's paper weather emphasis...another sign of media theatrics/emphasis?

Today's paper weather emphasis...another sign of media theatrics/emphasis?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 03-15-2019, 03:25 PM
Platinum member

Fake news? Nope. Somewhat sensationalized (exploited) for advertising purposes? Probably. As weather events go, it was an impressive case. People were impacted, big time. I don't know if anyone died but I wouldn't be surprised. People dying is hardly fake news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seoulbrooks View Post
All fake news. Just have to try to weed it out as best we can. Comes at us from all directions.....

Last edited by biker1; 03-15-2019 at 03:31 PM.

Old 03-15-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I know I am right - a 40 year career. Just setting the record straight, sorry if it ruffled your feathers. Certain flow patterns result in very large pressure falls - it actually happens fairly often over water. Don't get all wrapped up with the terminology. It is nature's way of moving cold air south and warm air north.
Correct and this type activity by news outlets is fair but not unheard of.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2019, 04:28 PM
Sage

Silly me. I really thought this thread was about the weather and how frequently weather conditions are "hyped" and storms just pass us by.

But I have reread this thread three times and I read and feel antagonism that is not warranted.

And do not understand most of the posts to be frank.

There are "bomb cyclones" happening across the U.S. which means tornadoes produced by a huge change in air pressure over a very short time. The winds produced are strong enough to tear off roofs and topple 18 wheelers.

You can call it Ray or you can call it Fay.

OR you can read much more into it.
Old 03-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Silly me. I really thought this thread was about the weather and how frequently weather conditions are "hyped" and storms just pass us by.

But I have reread this thread three times and I read and feel antagonism that is not warranted.

There are "bomb cyclones" happening across the U.S. which means tornadoes produced by a huge change in air pressure over a very short time. The winds produced are strong enough to tear off roofs and topple 18 wheelers.

if I misread..sorry, but....

Closing line before signature...

I do believe the weather is a simple example of all the rest of the news and how reported.

TITLE OF THREAD....ENDING..

"Another sign of media theatrics/emphasis"

So if I misread the intent, this is why. Of course I am stupid and non sophisticated and took the words literally.

I do not believe it is any sign of anything, and I also responded to his memories, when the information and means did not exist.

His summary is what I find a bit offensive. He actually was quite dismissive of the term "bomb" and I saw no mention of The Villages storms or them passing us by. That would actually be a discussion of weather

Last edited by Bucco; 03-15-2019 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Platinum member

This is wrong. While some deep low pressure centers do spawn tornadoes, it is not the norm and it would be incorrect to assume that tornadoes are typical. Regardless, the post is pretty much pointless. If someone wants to start a post about weather, please do so. I will be happy to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Old 03-15-2019, 08:12 PM
Sage

Old 03-15-2019, 08:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

Are you waiting for a Bombshell report on the Bombed out weather report?

Bomb, Bomb, BombShell! Enough already.

I'm not sure of the guy's name on Wesh 2 News but before Irma, this guy had us more upset by his reporting theatrics than the actual storm did. We were very new and between him acting up and the Weather Radio, we were going nuts. I put my faith in Tuccillo on TOTV because it was all facts and no add on info to upset us.

We have come to really like the guy Tony Mainolfi but will never forget his BombShell reporting. We just were not accustomed to his style.

Billy, I like your post and understand what you were saying, no problem you are correct. A big show for NOTHING.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
I know I am right - a 40 year career. Just setting the record straight, sorry if it ruffled your feathers. Certain flow patterns result in very large pressure falls - it actually happens fairly often over water. Don't get all wrapped up with the terminology. It is nature's way of moving cold air south and warm air north.
I had no idea you were a meteorologist. I had not heard the term "bomb cyclone" until recently.

This explains why...….

This Is The Man To Blame For The Term 'Bomb Cyclone' | HuffPost
Old 03-16-2019, 05:31 AM
Sage

Advances in predicting weather events has increased in accuracy tremendously... in the last 20 years or so.

Anything used to make people take dangerous weather more seriously, or to make them stay at home during the peak...is fine in my book.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Fake news? Nope. Somewhat sensationalized (exploited) for advertising purposes? Probably. As weather events go, it was an impressive case. People were impacted, big time. I don't know if anyone died but I wouldn't be surprised. People dying is hardly fake news.
Not sensationalized if you live along the Midwest waterways. IMO the flood in Midwest will probably go down as the worst since record keeping.

Tags
news, weather, wind, walking, spot