Tommy rant. Yo God

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2014, 12:56 PM
Platinum member
Default Tommy rant. Yo God

A friend of mine,June Kempf" wrote a wonderful memoir about her special needs son. "Yo God! Jay's Story" has been banned in a public school because of "God" being mentioned in the title. To some it is politically incorrect.

It is so sad what is happening to this country. Pretty soon "In God we Trust" will be removed from all currency and "God Bless America" will not allowed to be sung. And what next. Will Santa Claus be arrested for being an imposter? This country is doomed. Glad I am in my final third of my life and I won't be alive to see the total destruction awaiting us.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Public schools are supported by ALL people, Christians and non-Christians, so not sure why anyone would think it's "politically correct" to ban religion in school. It's just proper. Christians had dominance for many, many years. There are a lot of different beliefs, and tax dollars should not support one over the other.

Teach your kids at home, take them to the church of your choice, send them to a private, religious school. Don't put the responsibility on the public, tax supported, schools. Oh, and it's the law!

Last edited by casita37; 11-22-2014 at 01:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Sage

The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:57 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.
Well stated dbussone. i am sick of that lame excuse atheist are intent on stripping God loving people of their inalienable rights
Old 11-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

"Oh" (I caught that.), I still say one religion should not stand out over others in a tax supported education. I also think the "political correctness" excuse gets a bad rap. Seems whenever an old, outdated or biased, belief draws attention, people like to play the politically incorrect card. There is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post
"Oh" (I caught that.), I still say one religion should not stand out over others in a tax supported education. I also think the "political correctness" excuse gets a bad rap. Seems whenever an old, outdated or biased, belief draws attention, people like to play the politically incorrect card. There is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.
Yes! Exactly! Some people do play the "politically incorrect card" in bizarre ways to excuse their own bias. VERY tired of that. And I totally agree that there is nothing incorrect about treating all people fairly and equally.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 11-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

[QUOTE=dbussone;971585]The separation of church and state refers to creation of a state sponsored religion or official religion. It does not prohibit various interactions between governmental agencies and independent religious organizations. Unfortunately political correctness has bred a climate of inappropriate reaction. Oh, and it's not the law. For example schools are allowed to offer space for Sunday church, under the same rules allowed for other organizations...unless a state or other governmental entity has precluded such by policy or legislation.[/QUOTe

Exactly and thank you dbussone for reminding all of us, including those who want religious thought and expression banished from our country.

If anyone wants to see examples of tortured thinking and embarassing misuse of history, logic and jurisprudence, take a good look at the string of Supreme Court cases involving prayer in schools, released time bussing and so on.

The stance complained about by the OP is completely dishonest and improper, not proper. It's the 'law' is a facile and perhaps smarmy way of ignoring the fact that our country got along just fine for over one hundred and fifty years without "it" being the law.

I agree fully with Tommy's last sentence.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Government/ Religion

As with other "freedoms" and "rights", I would be willing to defend Americans with my life ,if necessary, in their practice of faith privately and in public.

I think however that our "governments" should play no part in the validation of any religion. Whether we like it or not we are a multi cultural, multi religion country , with many more atheist, agnostics , and deist, than you might imagine, where each has equal rights under law. To add symbols and references to specific religious sects creates a very slipery slope that will lead to more , rather than less divisiveness and resentment throughout this exceptional country.

I share religious celebrations with jewish, buddahists and christian friends in their private homes , temples ,churches , and other non government venues.

As I recall, "'in God we trust" was added to the pledge in the early 1950's and to currency only a few years before.

Yes , I am unsure who or what created the cosmos, but I support all who do good, show mercy, and kindness whatever their faith or lack thereof.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by casita37 View Post

I'm not sure what makes an old or outdated belief no longer valid, other than someone calling them such. I still support and believe in the founding principles of our country. I may be old fashioned but I have 5 relatives who fought for these principles in the Revolutionary War. I don't believe it was to support political correctness.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Veteran member

If you look up the book on line and read some of the reviews it appears there are many references to the authors faith and the challenges she faced in raising her son while maintaing her faith. So while it's easy to say the book was allegedly banned in one school because it mentions God in the title, it appears there could be a lot more to it than just the title that resulted in the alleged banning at the unknown school.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

No matter how you cut it, political correctness is just another form of smiley faced fascism with the iron fist in the ever so velvet glove of Big Brother knows better than us.

Outdated? By what honest, not parroted criterion?
Old 11-22-2014, 04:27 PM
Veteran member

Hey, I know! Burn all books!

No book should be banned. Parents (and, I suppose teachers) may choose to shied young minds from some books, but let's never ban any.

Where does it end?

Go back and read Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451
Old 11-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
No matter how you cut it, political correctness is just another form of smiley faced fascism with the iron fist in the ever so velvet glove of Big Brother knows better than us.

Outdated? By what honest, not parroted criterion?
Would you be equally indignant if the school had banned "Heather has two Mommies", or Christopher Hitchens' "God is not Great"? Would that be political correctness, or protecting children from indecent ideas?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:42 PM
Veteran member

Good Lord........
Old 11-22-2014, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter123 View Post
Good Lord........

Exactly. (Another lob.)

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.