sportster vs. big harley

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Default sportster vs. big harley

should I buy the sportster that I can afford now..or should I keep saving my money? No long trips..just an around town machine. Are there any reasonable substitutes for H.D.?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: sportster vs. big harley

If you're not doing long trips, I'd go with the Sportster. It's more fun, anyway, and just think of the fun you can have tinkering with it and tricking it out.

If you think you're going to do long trips, though, go for the bigger, more comfortable bike even though I happen to think a fully dressed hog is a travesty.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 04:25 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to kregski

I had a sportster 1200 and my daughter had an880 model.we both enjoyed them very much.Im 190 lbs 5 11 my bike fit me fine..
Old 12-10-2007, 05:13 PM
Banned

Oh...the question of life...how big a bike???

I guess I'm an old-school type. I go by the philosophy "never get a bike bigger than you can lift." Eventually, the day will come when the bike is laying on its side and you have to raise it. This is not to say that you dumped the bike, because it has been known that scurrious folk will knock it over when you are not to be seen.

I've got a 2005 XL1200R Sporty and wouldn't trade it for the most expensive hog on the road. The bike and I have seen Interstate time in several states (including FL), and it has proven to be as responsive on the Interstate as it is on the back roads. It sits "wet" at around 575 pounds, and non-muscular me is able to raise it without help. I ride it everywhere, from local spins to Rolling Thunder, with no complaint. There are some who want more "mileage" out of a tank of gas (I get about 125 tops), but then again, after 90 minutes I'm more than ready to give the rear end (mine, not the bike's) a break anyway.

While I love my Harley, if I ever was to go after a monster-bike, the Yamaha Star line to me has the best bang for the buck. Had a Yamaha 650 roadster and it was fabulous. But, the odds of a change are very slim, mainly because the Sporty does everything I want - decent on long trips and fabulous on shorter ones.

The price of the bike should not be the issue - it's what do you REALLY feel comfortable handling?

All that aside, if you get the Sporty, suggest you consider a windscreen (love bugs don't taste good!), engine guard (it pays for itself 10X if the bike is knocked over), and the replacement seat (the stock seat is lousy, but the big cushion seat is great).

Old 12-10-2007, 05:23 PM
Sage

OK, Steve, when do I get a ride?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 05:43 PM
Banned

redwitch - that is totally up to my spouse!

There is an old biker's proverb: Never mess with She who feeds you, for eventually you must fall asleep!
Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM
Sage

Tell her I promise to behave -- only interested in the bike, not the man. ;D I haven't ridden on a decent bike in years and soooo miss it!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

As soon as I bring the bike back to TV. Right now it's still in Maryland at the "other" house. This commuting between MD & FL (6-8 weeks MD, followed by 2-3 weeks FL) has been a headache, but it's down to just under 16 months to go.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:58 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

And your discussion goes to the real issue in answer to the question of which bike to buy. Does he plan to ride alone or have someone on the back. I have owned both a Sportster and a full size and even though me and the spouse are not heavy, 180 and 130, the full size Harley gives a better ride for two. Mine is currently a Dynaglide low rider, but am even thinking of a Hertiage softail, Road King or an Electro Glide to make it even better. Steve is right about one thing, after 2 hours on the bike the back side needs a break. However the bigger bikes give a much better ride and less buttache.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:28 AM

just me, and the handeling is the most important aspect...weight is important, I dont want to have to manhandle a big brute...I prefer the styling of the sportster, but is all the rest ( braking, cornering, overall comfort) worth the money? Again, it will only be used for short trips, without the benefit of companionship! I'll take the porsche when I need company...
Old 12-11-2007, 01:23 PM

Everyone is always talking "HARLEY" I love my Goldwing
Old 12-11-2007, 06:25 PM

whats a goldwing?
Old 12-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned

Goldwing = The motorcycle equivalent of the Mercury Grand Marquis (LOL)

All kidding aside, it's a fabulous bike which has all of the accessories/toys one can hope to have and still be on two wheels.

As far as the Sporty's handling, The XL1200R has dual discs up-front for braking (which I prefer) versus single-discs on just about everything else. The handling is very responsive and it has the highest torque on the market. The Sporty is definitely better as a single-ride versus companion (have done it both ways and the difference is noticeable but not brutal). The ride is decent now that the Sporty has rubber engine mounts.

The bottom line is it's a matter of choice. All rides are great, just some are more "Goldilocks fit" than others.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Veteran member

Get a 3 wheeler and dont listen to the O thats not a motorcycle never have to worry about it falling over great in traffic and really comfortable . Any brand you want and they are not hard to handle.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve0528
whats a goldwing?
I believe the Goldwing was the first bike to have reverse? Yeah, that's what I said. I don't ride anymore but Sporster is my choice. Of course extended front end, pull back Z bars, few other mods.

F16
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.