New Car and GPS

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Default New Car and GPS

We're in the market for a new car. Need some advice. Would you rather buy a car with or without a GPS and why? We were concerned about updates to the GPS.

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
Old 04-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Platinum member

I prefer a car without a GPS. One reason, the last time I checked, an
update for the GPS in a GM product was $150. Another reason is that you can not work with your GPS when the car is in gear. The rider cannot program the GPS while the car is in gear. You must be parked to program it.

My Garmin can be taken into the house and programed. It can be taken in any car and golf car. The last update was about $75. When my husband is driving, I can be working with the Garmin, changing the route and finding places to get gas, sleep and eat.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I prefer a car without a GPS. One reason, the last time I checked, an
update for the GPS in a GM product was $150. Another reason is that you can not work with your GPS when the car is in gear. The rider cannot program the GPS while the car is in gear. You must be parked to program it.

My Garmin can be taken into the house and programed. It can be taken in any car and golf car. The last update was about $75. When my husband is driving, I can be working with the Garmin, changing the route and finding places to get gas, sleep and eat.
Thanks for the tips we have a Garmin now and I had planned to have factory GPS in my next car, but now I think may keep the Garmin for all the reasons you stated.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Without a doubt the better GPS is one you buy separate from the car. The built in GPS is more convient in many respects and loooks nice but we found ours simply is not as reliable and the updates are expensive (and still not as good).
Old 04-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Gold member

I agree with the above whole heartedly. We also have a Garmin that we love. Built ins are expensive and you can get a wonderful Garmin for under $150. Hubby drives; I play with the settings. I did not want to get one at first, chalking it up as another of Hubs electronic toys. Now I can not imagine traveling without one.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

When we bought our Chevy Uplander it came equipped with Onstar and we love it. Most new GM products come equipped with it. There are many features you'll discover if you check out their web page. We even get a monthly report by email that tells us our milage, oil life and other information, even tire pressure readings and recommendation. Don't know though if it will be on any installations other than factory installations.

There is a monthly or annual fee for this service, but with the way Onstar works, there are no updates you would have to purchase to keep updated. I've provided a couple of links those who may be interested can go to in order to learn more about Onstar and the soon to be available aftermarket Onstar for more than just GM vehicles.:

http://www.onstar.com/

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/04/o...pring-of-2011/

p.s. a few more thing... it's great for hands-free operation when you're driving alone and you can make phone calls through the system!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"

Last edited by skyguy79; 04-08-2011 at 12:44 PM. Reason: To add p.s. information
Old 04-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default New Car and GPS

I have a new Acura and can downlaod updates for about $90 presently. I agree that separate offers benefits I suspect the cost for a built in navagation system is much higher than a Garmin which I also own. We don't travelmuch which my wife keeps remidning me about and is using the navigation system as leverage to get me on the road....God love her heart
Old 04-08-2011, 02:17 PM
Default Acura Rear Looking

We drove an Acura loaner last week while our Acura was in for work. The navigation system display was neat, but the best feature was that whenever reverse gear was engaged, the "nav" window switched to a view looking out the rear. Great safety benefit. It was difficult to return the car.

I've long preferred the flexibility and cost benefits of a portable auto GPS. We've have had TomTom and now have a Garmin with lifetime map updating. Can't beat the price and convenience.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 04-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Sage

A number of the 'store bought' GPS brands have certain units with lifetime map updates included in the purchase price.

Bill
Old 04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Sage

I have never owned a car with built-in Nav and I have never owned a TomTom or Garmin. Now that I have an Android smartphone with Google navigation, I don't think I will ever spend the money to get them. The Google nav is great!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:21 PM

We have had GPS systems for about 4 years now. We have found that the best type is the portable kind (that you can remove from view of potentiel thieves when away from your vehicle) and can switch between vehicles (if you are a two car family) to be the best. I'm sure that the GPS has prevented numerous accidents while we have travelled in unfamiliar territory. I know for sure that it has prevented numerous fights over which way to turn - and how to get "unlost"!

Last edited by Lianne from CT; 04-09-2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: First day with the new brain!
Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

I did not realize that OnStar had to be in connection with a navigation system. Our last two GM cars have had the nav system and OnStar. Although I do not like the nav system, neither my husband nor I will ever have a car without OnStar. At our ages and travels, it is a wonderful security blanket, even if the nav system is not used.

We still use our Garmin.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Thanks for all the great advice!

Now we just need to find the right car.

"Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first."
Old 04-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

A word from a really old-fashioned guy:

Any body ever use a paper map to find their way around? It's a really very simple device, and doesn't constantly tell you, "Recalculating!"

SWR
Old 04-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Gold member

When we travel I use the nav, and my wife keeps the Atlas on her lap and uses it to second guess the nav, and occasionally yell at me for making a wrong turn.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.