TOTV March Monthly Luncheon

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: TOTV March Monthly Luncheon

I have just read the controversy about the March get together. Yes, it is Good Friday, and for many Roman Catholics 3pm is a significant hour. Any chance we could put moving the date to a vote via TOTV?

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-16-2008, 06:47 PM
JohnnyM

I'm sorry and I stand corrected. I was not aware that mass was held at 3pm. I should have known better than to voice an opinion without knowing all the facts. Mea culpa, Johnny
Old 02-16-2008, 06:50 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda
I have just read the controversy about the March get together. Yes, it is Good Friday, and for many Roman Catholics 3pm is a significant hour. Any chance we could put moving the date to a vote via TOTV?
I was raised a Lutheran so I am not sure of the significance of 3 pm on Good Friday for Roman Catholics but did Google it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Friday
Old 02-16-2008, 07:02 PM
Platinum member

Linda, I'm curious how a vote might turn out. But it's really immaterial because TOTV has several thousand members but only a relative few can make it to Crispers each month. It's really that group who should have a say on the March meeting, and they'll have their say March 21st.

I don't consider myself particularly religious but I consider a meeting of any kind on a significant religious holy day to be offensive. It shows a lack of respect for people of faith and is part of a general movement to marginalize religion in American. Redwitch, I salute you and your willingness to stand up and be counted.

George
Old 02-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Veteran member

George, I guess I am silly enough to believe that only those who might come would vote.

For me, I am certainly a practicing Catholic, but have never gotten hung up on the specific details. While I would not eat meat on Good Friday, I personally would go to a TOTV luncheon without feeling like that was somehow improper. I am sure that others would not be as casual as I am though.

Red, I'm sure you are not alone and I would vote to change to a different day. I want to meet as many of you as possible.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 02-17-2008, 04:55 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

LOL Linda -- I'll eat meat on Good Friday but Mass is important. Go figure.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2008, 05:15 AM
Eternal Member

It's from long ago memory, but I don't believe the RCs do Mass on Good Friday. There is a service, but no consecration and consequently, no mass. I remember from altar boy days that the priest had to consecrate extra host on Holy Thursday to use on Friday.

This could be considered a bit picky on my part, but I know you deal with the full truth. :joke:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-17-2008, 05:32 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Fine, services at 3:00 ... picky, picky, picky.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Wow! Being away from a computer for several days is very freeing and this thread surely is unexpected. I guess any subject can generate a debate.

I was one of the folks who discussed the March meeting. The main thing we talked about was consistency (same time, same place) since the TOTV meetings are in their infancy.

So, no offense intended to anyone. It is just a posted get together for anyone who wants to attend. The flow of folks is different from month to month, just depending on who is available. It would be impossible to accomodate everyone's wishes.

VK
Old 02-19-2008, 02:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelsea24
:dontknow: I wasn't even aware of a discussion about when to have it. Too busy having fun I guess. But geesh, take a chill pill peeps. George, I don't think a luncheon erodes the American culture at all. I think it is the American culture. I think we all respect everyone's religious rights. This is kind of like -- if you don't like what's on television, change the channel! Again, I hardly think a lunch at Crisper's is an attack on anyone's right to attend it or not to attend it because of their own personal beliefs. I know my personal Savior would smile down on a wonderful, friendly group of people enjoying each other's company. This is not about eroding America, this is America -- which translates to freedom. Just my opinion.
Well said.
Village of Hemmingway
Old 02-19-2008, 02:36 AM
Eternal Member

Oh dear - Just three meetings and we are already into this....

Personally, I think the meeting should be set permanently as is with the exception of Christmas and New Year's.

If March is rescheduled, then there will be another reason to reschedule in April, May, or whatever.
I respect and understand anyone's priorities.

Just my opinion.....

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Holy Molley! I agree with Handie, VK, and wiw1819. Same time, same place each month, otherwise, any reason - for anyone, would illicit a change of time and date,and then location - this would prevent people from planning and knowing when the luncheon is held each month. Why should a certain number of people be needed to make a decision like this? Last I recall, the 3rd of every month was the agreed arrangement. Tough that one of the months luncheon falls on Good Friday. Even if the luncheon date falls on Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc., I think it would be great to share our faith and thankfulness with other TVers.

Life is not fair, sometimes we cannot make every event (b/c of work, church, weddings, illness, etc.). IMHO,life is too short to be critical of stuff like this. There are real serious problems in our world where we need to take a stand. I don't think a 2 hr. luncheon on Good Friday is one of them. My 2cents.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage

Stay the course. Same place, same time.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Taltarzac

So, the 3rd Friday of...

March 2008 is March 21 (Good Friday)
April 2008 is April 18
May 2008 is May 16
June 2008 is June 20
July 2008 is July 18
August 2008 is August 15
September 2008 is September 19 (POW/MIA Recognition Day)
October 2008 is October 17
November 2008 is November 21
December 2008 is December 19
January 2009 is January 16
February 2009 is February 20
March 2009 is March 20
April 2009 is April 17
May 2009 is May 15
June 2009 is June 19
July 2009 is July 17
August 2009 is August 21
September 2009 is September 18
October 2009 is October 16
November 2009 is November 20
December 2009 is December 18
January 2010 is January 15
February 2010 is February 19
March 2010 is March 19
Old 02-19-2008, 02:17 PM

I'm for keeping to the schedule ... if you can't make it for personal or other reasons, I think that should be okay ... no explanation required. Life's too short...we should enjoy what we can when we can.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.