Tour guides in Italy

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Gold member
Default Tour guides in Italy

For our 50th anniversary our kids bought us round trip tickets for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Rome.
I’ve just started looking for tour guides. But most of the big names stop tours in Oct.
Anyone have suggestions for tours only?
Thank you!
Old 05-23-2018, 05:28 PM

About 12 years ago, we used Trafalgar for a 1 week bus tour. The tour was great and the guide was outstanding.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Two small Roman tours that I remember best are one of the Vatican and a walking "foodie" tour in Trastevere.

There were only six of us on the Vatican tour. The docent was a lovely young lady, Canadian I think. She made sure to honor our special request to see the Papal apartments from my wife's family. Context Travel provided that tour.

Of the Roman "foodie" tours that we've taken, I enjoyed the walking tour of Trastevere the best. Man, do I love porchetta. That tour was provided by Eating Italy Food Tours.

Enjoy your trip to Italy. Eat everything and drink lots of wine. My wife likes the Aperol spritzes.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
For our 50th anniversary our kids bought us round trip tickets for 2 weeks, flying in and out of Rome.
I’ve just started looking for tour guides. But most of the big names stop tours in Oct.
Anyone have suggestions for tours only?
Thank you!
We did a Mediterranean cruise two years ago and used Rome In Limo for our tours in Italy. Top notch! Wonderful guides, nice vehicles, small groups! Here is their link. Also check out their reviews in Trip Advisor.
Rome In Limo
Old 05-24-2018, 12:19 AM

We are also very satisfied customers of Context. Rome and Florence.

Rick Steves lists Rome tours into December. We've been on 3 of his other tours and found them to be excellent.

Both would be high quality experiences for the serious traveller.

Hint #1: Assume your pocket will be picked so take adequate precautions.
Hint #2: Try to get to Ostia Antica in addition to the usual places.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

If you are doing the Vatican tour, Sistine and Museum, take a pair of good walking shoes, body armour, and get fit before hand. Its long, crowded, and the guides don't hang about!!
Old 05-24-2018, 06:12 AM

What a wonderful gift from your family! Rome is a great place to start and easy to get trains to other major cities in Italy. If you are an adventurer, use Trip Advisor or Viator to schedule tours that interest you. We used 'See Amalfi Coast' when in Naples (one place I would definitely hire someone for touring) so we could visit the coastline from land. Bruno was our awesome guide, but it looks like he is no longer with them. You can book the tours you want and have a more personalized experience. Also, it's easy to find accommodation kiosks at train stations to book a hotel for a few days. They are typically more "local" types of accommodations so you get less of the "American" experience and a more European one, which we prefer. The biggest recommendation I have is to travel light. Italy is wonderful and romantic...don't rush through!
Old 05-24-2018, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

My suggestion is to forget the organized tours and its 'herding cattle' mentality and instead rent a car in Rome, head to Genoa via Firenze/Florence (set aside some money to purchase top-of-the-line leather coats/goods in Firenze), then slowly head down the the Italian Riviera coast and tour all the way to Naples...then back to Rome.

Suggestion though, while in Rome itself keep the car parked and use the public transportation system...to get around and see the sights. Most drivers in Rome think they should be a top sponsored driver in Formula 1...and are out to prove it.

Being able to drive, will allow you the opportunity to stop as long, or as short, as you like...in any one location..

PS. Do your research and make sure you're OK being there during 'Holiday' (typically in August) as a lot of things shut down...and a lot of brochures either skip over or minimize that little fact.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Portofino-(Italy).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	75158  
Old 05-24-2018, 07:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

Trafalgar 15 day tour, starts in Rome and finishes in Rome. Tour was great, guide was fantastic, and they bring in a extra local guide in each area.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:01 AM

Went on Mediterranean Cruise with Celebrity Equinox and it was the best vacation of my life! We signed up for tours with the cruise ship which was wonderful but I know that is not an option. Would like to give some advice though. Don't go in the summer months. (we went in August). It is extremely hot and Europe does not believe in Air conditioning. My clothes were very damp and stuck to me, it was so hot. There is nowhere to cool down. Plus very crowded in the summer. You will do ALOT of walking and standing in lines. When you are with tour groups, you have an advantage of getting to your tourist site faster than if you did it on your own. The bathrooms are NOT free. If you need to go, you have to buy something to use their bathrooms. Have spare change on you and buy a bottle of water. You will need to stay hydrated anyways. The Vatican was AMAZING as well as the Coliseum. You will LOVE Italy!
Closed Thread

Tags
tours, tour, guides, names, stop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.