Truckers ,stockboys & medical professionals-more important than Stars & athletes

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Default Truckers ,stockboys & medical professionals-more important than Stars & athletes

Maybe after we get thru this national speed bump, we will access who really does more for society

It really irked me during the Vietnam War, a soldier fighting for his country & his life, had to play second fiddle to "the thriller in Manila"

And today, people give more hype to Tom Brady--than a trucker hauling respirators & vital health care equipment into high contamination locations, NYC,etc
Old 03-22-2020, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Mother always used to say.

"Nothing changes, or stays the same!"
Old 03-22-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage

‘Hype’ is one thing. Understanding and appreciating people that are helping society in a meaningful way is another.

Hype for sports and entertainment stars is a natural part of society. It doesn’t mean people don’t appreciate the real superstars who help folks every day.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Maybe after we get thru this national speed bump, we will access who really does more for society

It really irked me during the Vietnam War, a soldier fighting for his country & his life, had to play second fiddle to "the thriller in Manila"

And today, people give more hype to Tom Brady--than a trucker hauling respirators & vital health care equipment into high contamination locations, NYC,etc
I agree what you stated about truckers. I drove over the road for 9 years before retiring a little over a year ago.

It's truly a thankless job. Most companies and quite frankly most people treat drivers with very little respect. Of course there are some very rude and disrespectful drivers but few and far between. I've sat out major snowstorms and hurricanes sitting in the truck for days hoping that I wouldn't run out of fuel. FEMA has many truckers "at the ready" for all types of disasters. The drivers will make their sacrifices to get us the things needed as quickly and as safely as possible, I know a few drivers who do just that, bring essentials to those in need. I've always had a high regard for medical professionals, what they must deal with on a daily basis must be extremely difficult.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

The 'Thrilla in Manila' was in Octoner of '75, the war was over. Always looked at truckers as the princes(ses) of the highway.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:47 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Charles View Post
I agree what you stated about truckers. I drove over the road for 9 years before retiring a little over a year ago.

It's truly a thankless job. Most companies and quite frankly most people treat drivers with very little respect. Of course there are some very rude and disrespectful drivers but few and far between. I've sat out major snowstorms and hurricanes sitting in the truck for days hoping that I wouldn't run out of fuel. FEMA has many truckers "at the ready" for all types of disasters. The drivers will make their sacrifices to get us the things needed as quickly and as safely as possible, I know a few drivers who do just that, bring essentials to those in need. I've always had a high regard for medical professionals, what they must deal with on a daily basis must be extremely difficult.
An early childhood memory of mine is being in the Studebaker on the way to Grandma’s house, a couple hundred miles away and no interstates in-between.

That is when I remember first hearing about “The Knights of the Road” which is what my mom and dad called truckers.

Now, in these surreal times, we need those Knights of the Road more than ever before.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:49 AM
Sage

Ok maybe is was another heavy weight fight--just hated it when grunts where dying and boxers were being paid millions & their lives were not in jeopardy
Old 03-22-2020, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

My son has been hauling food and paper products over the road without a stop ( unless mandatory rest) for over a month, his family is bunkered down in NC doing the best they can...he doesn't consider himself special, just doing his job and hoping not to get sick..
Old 03-22-2020, 10:12 AM

The Hollywood so call "Stars" are way overrated as heroes in-bedded by themselves into our minds...
And you don't see (Non-TV) Medical workers, Truckers, Stockboys, Cooks, Policeman, Firemen, Servicemen or even Sanitation personnel giving us their political lectures like these "my don't stink" Stars do...
Old 03-22-2020, 10:54 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
My son has been hauling food and paper products over the road without a stop ( unless mandatory rest) for over a month, his family is bunkered down in NC doing the best they can...he doesn't consider himself special, just doing his job and hoping not to get sick..
We ALL appreciate the sacrifices he and a few hundred thousand others are making to get us through this. Yes, I too hope he's safe. Truck-stops aren't the cleanest you'll encounter either.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
An early childhood memory of mine is being in the Studebaker on the way to Grandma’s house, a couple hundred miles away and no interstates in-between.

That is when I remember first hearing about “The Knights of the Road” which is what my mom and dad called truckers.

Now, in these surreal times, we need those Knights of the Road more than ever before.
Nice to hear about "The Knights of the Road"

With the climate of a law-suit happy society these days almost all truck driving companies have a strict policy against stopping to help a troubled motorist. It is called a "sitting duck ploicy". If we had stopped to help someone on the side of the road and God forbid someone not paying attention runs into the back of the truck, many lawyers will line up to sue the trucking company. You could lose everything you had trying to be a good Samaritan. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.
Old 03-22-2020, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post

Amen!!
Old 03-22-2020, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Nice to hear about "The Knights of the Road"

With the climate of a law-suit happy society these days almost all truck driving companies have a strict policy against stopping to help a troubled motorist. It is called a "sitting duck ploicy". If we had stopped to help someone on the side of the road and God forbid someone not paying attention runs into the back of the truck, many lawyers will line up to sue the trucking company. You could lose everything you had trying to be a good Samaritan. Unfortunately, those days are long gone.
Same here.
Back in the day I drove trucks all over Europe.
Picked up hitchhikers, stopped to change wheels for car drivers, and other truckers never gave it a thought.
These days I don't even let fresh air in the car!!
Old 03-22-2020, 01:32 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:

You may not hear the thanks but many of us do appreciate the trucking industry, particularly the drivers. We have made the trip between our northern and southern home for more than a dozen years. As we made the nineteen hour trip home this year amongst the every increasing traffic and sometimes hostile drivers, we discussed how little respect truckers receive for their work. We watched as truckers slam on brakes for the inconsiderate or ignorant people angling for a car length gain on the highway and in Nashville we waited almost 2 hours in traffic as a semi burned beyond recognition from an accident. Hats off to our nations truck drivers, you make this country function.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

hopefully we're discovering who keeps our civilization functioning properly,,, its never been politicians, sports team members, movie/recording 'stars', or other non-essential fame seekers,,, if you watch the videos posted by some of them, most of you will not be surprised to realize how many are actually hair-brained & intellectually challenged in terms of common sense & real life
Closed Thread

Tags
fiddle, soldier, fighting, country, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.