Trying to Adopt a Rescue Dog

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Default Trying to Adopt a Rescue Dog

I know that there are many of you on this board that are involved with rescue organizations. I have a question for you.

I attempted to adopt a 3-year-old Yorkie on Pooch and Poodle Rescue, only to be told that because we didn’t have a fenced-in yard we weren’t a good “fit.” No personal interview or anything like that. I could probably understand if I was trying to adopt a very large dog. But a YORKIE?? In addition to 2 to 3 good walks a day, our other Yorkies got plenty of exercise with us throwing a ball down the hall and running after him, playing keep away and tug of war, etc. You get the picture.

Is this standard procedure? I thought rescues were in dire need of good, loving homes for their rescue pups, but apparently that isn’t the case.

My husband and I would like to have a little fur-baby back in our family and I wanted to go with a rescue this time. In the past we have had two Yorkies (not at the same time). The first was part of our life for 15 years. The second was ours for 18 years, passing about 2.5 years ago. We have missed having that little ball of fur to play with and walk with and cuddle to us while watching TV. Due to allergies, we have to be careful with the breed. We love Yorkies for their personality and intelligence and the fact that they do not affect our allergies.

Based upon this experience, I guess we’ll just abandon the idea of a rescue and seek out a breeder. Not what I wanted to do at all, but if the fact that we don’t have a fenced-in yard is a requirement, then it appears to be our only option. I certainly am not going to sell my home and move so I can get a yard with a fence. I was taken aback as the determination of our being “unfit” was made without even talking to us. Just No Fence then no dog.

I don’t know if my experience is standard or an anomaly. Hoping that someone on the board can shed some light or at least make some sense of it for me. My husband and I are extremely disappointed. I at least expected to actually speak to someone so that they would get to know us. As it turned out, they knew nothing about us, but rejected us out of hand.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:34 PM
Gold member

Wow, very surprised to hear this. Please do not abandon the idea of a rescue, there are other organizations out there, Maxines Pet Rescue, etc. Last October, I attended Blessing of the Animals at Hope Lutheran Church here in The Villages. Had no notion to adopt but there he was...….and we are one happy family and our house is a home now. He came from Lake Panasofkee (spelled right I hope) Humane Society. The next Blessing of the Animals is October 20th, great fun to walk around and you never know who might tug at your heart strings (in fact, there was a Yorkie rescue group last year I am almost certain).....good luck, your fur baby will find you, and I do believe October is Pet Adoption month!
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Bennie bow tie.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	76737  

Last edited by Debfrommaine; 10-03-2018 at 06:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoInTV View Post
I know that there are many of you on this board that are involved with rescue organizations. I have a question for you.

I attempted to adopt a 3-year-old Yorkie on Pooch and Poodle Rescue, only to be told that because we didn’t have a fenced-in yard we weren’t a good “fit.” No personal interview or anything like that. I could probably understand if I was trying to adopt a very large dog. But a YORKIE?? In addition to 2 to 3 good walks a day, our other Yorkies got plenty of exercise with us throwing a ball down the hall and running after him, playing keep away and tug of war, etc. You get the picture.

Is this standard procedure? I thought rescues were in dire need of good, loving homes for their rescue pups, but apparently that isn’t the case.

My husband and I would like to have a little fur-baby back in our family and I wanted to go with a rescue this time. In the past we have had two Yorkies (not at the same time). The first was part of our life for 15 years. The second was ours for 18 years, passing about 2.5 years ago. We have missed having that little ball of fur to play with and walk with and cuddle to us while watching TV. Due to allergies, we have to be careful with the breed. We love Yorkies for their personality and intelligence and the fact that they do not affect our allergies.

Based upon this experience, I guess we’ll just abandon the idea of a rescue and seek out a breeder. Not what I wanted to do at all, but if the fact that we don’t have a fenced-in yard is a requirement, then it appears to be our only option. I certainly am not going to sell my home and move so I can get a yard with a fence. I was taken aback as the determination of our being “unfit” was made without even talking to us. Just No Fence then no dog.

I don’t know if my experience is standard or an anomaly. Hoping that someone on the board can shed some light or at least make some sense of it for me. My husband and I are extremely disappointed. I at least expected to actually speak to someone so that they would get to know us. As it turned out, they knew nothing about us, but rejected us out of hand.
I found this year's flyer, yes, there is a Yorkie rescue group that will be there on the 20th, see flyer. Thanks for considering rescue!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Blessing of the Animals October.pdf (394.3 KB, 77 views)
Old 10-03-2018, 06:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I hope this has a wonderful ending. Hope we get to see pictures.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

My sister and her husband adopted a 2 year old Since that time she has adopted 2 rescue dogs. She said it is amazing that adopting a child is far less difficult than adopting a rescue dog. Go figure.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
My sister and her husband adopted a 2 year old Since that time she has adopted 2 rescue dogs. She said it is amazing that adopting a child is far less difficult than adopting a rescue dog. Go figure.
I have some friends that made the same comment, I could not believe the hoops they had to jump through. I did not get which agency they were using, but as I understand it they went somewhere else.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 AM
Gold member

Try South Lake Animal League in Groveland. The Animal League - Central Florida Humane Society

We rescued our mixed blend Rat Terrier two years ago and she has been a wonderful addition to our home. We had no issues with their process.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:29 AM

I had the EXACT experience when we tried to adopt a 5lb Yorkie. My husband and I are both in the medical field, our sons were a backup to take the dog if we became ill or worse and to top it off our daughter-in-law is a Vet tech. They turned us down because we didn't have a fence also! A fence for a 5lb Yorkie in Florida???? We gave up and got our sweet little Morkie from a breeder.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:11 AM
Default Rescue

I adopted a 1 year old Maltise from South Lake Animal Rescue last year. Great place & they do great work.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:26 AM

Don't give up. Pooches and Poodles are particularly difficult to work with. We were turned down because WE were too old (77) to adopt a 9-year-old dog!!! Use PetFinders as a way to look at dogs available from a wide range of rescue operations. We ended up falling in love with a 10-year-old mutt that was deaf and heartworm positive. She had probably been part of a puppy mill, and somewhere along the line she broke and wore down most of her teeth - trying to get free?? We came along when she needed us most. We ended up driving up to Georgia to pick her up and enjoy the fact that she will be very comfortable the rest of her life. And, yes, if we don't outlive her, she already has a home with any one of our kids. So, don't take no for an answer, just move on until you find the right dog.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:30 PM
Veteran member

I volunteer with Max's Pet Connection and we don't require a fence. Actually we would prefer that the dog NOT be left in a yard by itself (at least the medium/small dogs) due to potential predators taking the dog.

We don't have any purebred Yorkies right now, and only get them rarely. Hypoallergenic purebred dogs are always in high demand, so you may have a long wait unless you go to a breeder. If you are not locked on a purebred, we do have several Yorkie mixes. One in particular is Romeo, who is a Yorkie/Maltese mix. Frankly I am surprised we still have him-he is such a sweet dog.

Here is a link to the adoptable dogs web page for Max's Pet Connection: Link You can scroll through the different dogs-but if you click on a dog and don't see information, please scroll to the top of the web page and you will see some additional information. Max's Pet Connection has the fosters bring their dogs to PetSmart on 441 in Lady Lake almost every Saturday from 10-2.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:17 PM

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch.
There are a lot of Kooks Cooks Crooks and Wackos out there
but a lot of good people too.

There are rescues every where - a lot of people want to do good
and a lot of "know it alls" that are not worth your time.

Find another rescue or go to Craigslist.
When I was turned down I found mine on craigslist from people
needing to give up and avoid animal control.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

JoInTV, please see my post Yorkie mix for adoption: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...doption-273929
Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
JoInTV, please see my post Yorkie mix for adoption: https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...doption-273929
She is adorable!! If I were looking to adopt right now I would be making a visit to that shelter.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I volunteer with Max's Pet Connection and we don't require a fence. Actually we would prefer that the dog NOT be left in a yard by itself (at least the medium/small dogs) due to potential predators taking the dog.

We don't have any purebred Yorkies right now, and only get them rarely. Hypoallergenic purebred dogs are always in high demand, so you may have a long wait unless you go to a breeder. If you are not locked on a purebred, we do have several Yorkie mixes. One in particular is Romeo, who is a Yorkie/Maltese mix. Frankly I am surprised we still have him-he is such a sweet dog.

Here is a link to the adoptable dogs web page for Max's Pet Connection: Link You can scroll through the different dogs-but if you click on a dog and don't see information, please scroll to the top of the web page and you will see some additional information. Max's Pet Connection has the fosters bring their dogs to PetSmart on 441 in Lady Lake almost every Saturday from 10-2.
We met Romeo last Saturday at your display at Pet Smart. If we didn't already have two dogs, a yorkiepoo and a Heinz, we'd have adopted him. Romeo looks like a great little dog.
Closed Thread

Tags
rescue, adopt, yorkies, good, yard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.