TSA allows knives on planes

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-14-2013, 10:54 AM
Heartnsoul Heartnsoul is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 467
Thanks: 2
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default TSA allows knives on planes

Oh great!! Just when you thought it can't get dumber , it does. Now the TSA is going to allow people to carry pocket knives on planes!! 2 1/2 " is just fine!! So now airlines stewardesses will have to watch out for the crazies and try to keep things calm if something happens. This is absolutely ridiculous when you should NOT be allowed to carry a knife at all on a plane as there is NO REASON in the world you should need a knive while traveling.

Now I will tell hubby to go out and purchase a pocket knife to carry with us on the plane just IN CASE someone else has one who is a crazy!! So we need to protect ourselves.

Don't think I'm going overboard on this one. If you remember 9/11 box cutters were used and they are smaller than knives!! Make any sense???
  #2  
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
KEVIN & JOSIE KEVIN & JOSIE is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 667
Thanks: 33
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Oh great!! Just when you thought it can't get dumber , it does. Now the TSA is going to allow people to carry pocket knives on planes!! 2 1/2 " is just fine!! So now airlines stewardesses will have to watch out for the crazies and try to keep things calm if something happens. This is absolutely ridiculous when you should NOT be allowed to carry a knife at all on a plane as there is NO REASON in the world you should need a knive while traveling.

Now I will tell hubby to go out and purchase a pocket knife to carry with us on the plane just IN CASE someone else has one who is a crazy!! So we need to protect ourselves.

Don't think I'm going overboard on this one. If you remember 9/11 box cutters were used and they are smaller than knives!! Make any sense???
Knives are OK? But we still must surrender our bottled water and take our shoes off. GO FIGURE. Hate to tell you, but if a pocket knife is used against a person at the right location, arteries, throat, you can do a lot of damage with one.
__________________
I rescued my best friend...Adopt a shelter animal.
Baltimore Md 42 years, Currently Pa
  #3  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
billethkid's Avatar
billethkid billethkid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 17,290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,759 Times in 782 Posts
Default

isn't there something right about finding so many knives??

I think so. So the TSA says because they find so many they can't do their job!!
Isn't finding the knives doing the job?

But let me try to understand. When the powers that be decided no knives, knitting needles, tweezers, etc were a danger there must have been a reason for that decision. Now because they are finding too many ut is called a distraction????

So a box cutter with less than an inch of blade exposed is still a danger....but a knife with a 2" exposed blade is not.

There is something very stupid going on here. And these are the brainiacs charged with our safety......I think not.

This decision only ubderscores what the rest of the world knows about our airport security...it is a political joke run by bobble heads.

btk
__________________
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it"...Mark Twain
  #4  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:28 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,960
Thanks: 1
Thanked 151 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Bobble heads???? I can think of much more appropriate descriptors, but
I'd better not post them here.
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
  #5  
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM
BobnBev's Avatar
BobnBev BobnBev is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 1,960
Thanks: 1
Thanked 151 Times in 67 Posts
Default

*****
__________________
Patriot Guard Riders--"Standing for Those Who Have Stood for US"!

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
  #6  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:34 PM
Kimandhim19981@gmail.com Kimandhim19981@gmail.com is offline
Member
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 34
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have always been able to take my knitting needles does not matter whether metal, plastic 6 inches or 12 inches but no nail clippers!!
  #7  
Old 03-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Dr Winston O Boogie jr's Avatar
Dr Winston O Boogie jr Dr Winston O Boogie jr is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6,978
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1,185 Times in 389 Posts
Default

We flew up to Boston to vist my family at Christmas time. My wife had a bottle of water in her carry on and they took it away. I was annoyed because she knows better. She said it's a stupid rule. I said it may be, but it's the rule and it's foolish to try to get by with anything.
So an hour later we're at 30,000 feet and I look over at her and she's filing her nails with the little file on her Swiss Army pen knife.
__________________
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
  #8  
Old 03-15-2013, 05:05 AM
l2ridehd's Avatar
l2ridehd l2ridehd is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bridgeport At Miona Shores
Posts: 3,527
Thanks: 1
Thanked 200 Times in 64 Posts
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd
Default

I recall coming through Frankfurt in Germany shortly after 9/11 and having the extra safety razor blades taken away. Which I thought how stupid was that. I was flying back to the US in first class (lots of miles and free upgrades) and when dinner was served, had very nice cloth napkins, had a bic pen, which by wrapping your hand with the napkin and using the pen as a weapon, you could kill someone very fast.

I do understand the water issue, because it could be a flammable liquid, a liquid that could be used to put someone out, or something else. And how else could they sell so much water behind security? And I am sure they check everyone of those bottles before being allowed in.

Airline safety is almost impossible without shutting down the system. It will happen again, not if but when. The only way to prevent another 911 is to catch the bad guys during the planning phase. That causes a bigger impact on freedom then the scanners at the airports.

The only way to stop this type of terrorism is to make the pain and retaliation much worse then the crime. And we as a free people don't support that type of war.
__________________
Life is to short to drink cheap wine.
  #9  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
villages07's Avatar
villages07 villages07 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,058
Thanks: 2
Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default

If you read a little further into current news reports you will see what the logic was in making this proposed change. Not saying I/you agree with it, but, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

TSA's job is to prevent a takeover of the aircraft where it can be used as a missile, a la 9/11 or the inflight destruction of the aircraft via an explosive. The hardened cockpit doors prevent persons with small weapons from taking over the aircraft. That does not prevent attacks or injuries from occurring in the main passenger cabin...but, again, that won't bring an aircraft down.

The ban on liquids, the shoe inspection, etc are to prevent explosives from getting on board. These can bring a plane down.

The proposed update to banned items continues to ban box cutters....not because they can bring a plane down but because of the emotional baggage associated with them.

Part of TSA's rationale is that finding small knives and other items consumes a lot of attention on the part of their officers and may detract from attention to more important items like guns and explosives.

I offer no opinion for or against the proposal, only some clarification of the facts.
__________________
Maryland (DC Suburbs) - first 51 years
The Villages - next 51 years
  #10  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM
scarecrow1 scarecrow1 is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The villages
Posts: 264
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm surprised the NRA isn't all over this. If we have good people with knives aboard a plane then wouldn't the bad guys be at a disadvantage? After all knives don't kill people, people kill people.
  #11  
Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,781
Thanks: 3,604
Thanked 3,531 Times in 1,229 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
If you read a little further into current news reports you will see what the logic was in making this proposed change. Not saying I/you agree with it, but, there is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

TSA's job is to prevent a takeover of the aircraft where it can be used as a missile, a la 9/11 or the inflight destruction of the aircraft via an explosive. The hardened cockpit doors prevent persons with small weapons from taking over the aircraft. That does not prevent attacks or injuries from occurring in the main passenger cabin...but, again, that won't bring an aircraft down.

The ban on liquids, the shoe inspection, etc are to prevent explosives from getting on board. These can bring a plane down.

The proposed update to banned items continues to ban box cutters....not because they can bring a plane down but because of the emotional baggage associated with them.

Part of TSA's rationale is that finding small knives and other items consumes a lot of attention on the part of their officers and may detract from attention to more important items like guns and explosives.

I offer no opinion for or against the proposal, only some clarification of the facts.
AS USUAL. Good information from a respected source.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #12  
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
sobell sobell is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Didn't I read that they were also allowing wine openers. I was a flight attendant and allowed to carry a wine opener. That was my secret weapon. Open the thing up and hold it with the cork screw sticking out of your clinched fist. Can you imagine how much protection that is. Atleast, I think so
  #13  
Old 03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
jblum315's Avatar
jblum315 jblum315 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,876
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Default

TSA has always been very inconsistent. For years I carried my father's 3-inch pocket knife in my purse on airplanes and everywhere else. No one even looked at it. Then last month a very officious dame at Charlotte NC airport took it away. When I used to smoke I usually carried 2 or 3 Bic lighters and that was usually OK. but one time they confiscated my only lighter and matches
__________________
. . .there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to enjoy themselves, and also that everyone should eat and drink, and find enjoyment in all his toil. . .
Ecclesiasites 3:12
  #14  
Old 03-16-2013, 07:04 AM
Cantwaittoarrive Cantwaittoarrive is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN & JOSIE View Post
Knives are OK? But we still must surrender our bottled water and take our shoes off. GO FIGURE. Hate to tell you, but if a pocket knife is used against a person at the right location, arteries, throat, you can do a lot of damage with one.
That was my first thought, I can bring a knife but my Diet Coke is not allowed
  #15  
Old 03-16-2013, 03:16 PM
Heartnsoul Heartnsoul is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 467
Thanks: 2
Thanked 35 Times in 20 Posts
Default

And it's the crazy people with the knives that will try to kill and let's ENCOURAGE them by letting them know it's FINE to take a knife on a plane!! Makes sense, right??
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:25 AM.