TV and FL government are not doing what it takes to curb COVID-19

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Spring break 2020 with coronavirus: COVID-19 not stopping Florida guests | 10News WTSP - YouTube
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Pool Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
This just goes to show that warnings are not enough. People disregard the experts and congregate anyway. Coronavirus can not survive in the swimming pool water due to the chlorine. But when people fail to distance themselves from others on the pool deck or in the swimming pool water, the powers that be have to act.
Chlorine does not kill the virus. Do you have a source that proves otherwise?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:48 AM

A recent report indicates that there have been a grand total of 33 COVID-19 tests conducted upon Villagers.

Perhaps that is why some Villagers say no big deal...there really aren't Villagers who are positive. I would suggest it is best to be circumspect rather than throw caution to the wind. For those businesses, particularly restaurant and bars that continue to avoid Public Health guidelines, I would say not only would I not support any bailout of your business, but I will intentionally avoid patronizing in the future! Close up shop and lets all hunker down a bit here. Wouldn't your really rather say in hindsight, gosh we really overreacted, than have your Will read to your beneficiaries that includes a line, "Well, he didn't really give a damn about himself or those around him."
Old 03-19-2020, 08:56 AM
Veteran member

The outside temps don’t stop the virus from spreading because the virus lives in the body. Then we pass the droplets on to others when we talk, sneeze, cough etc. outside temps only come into play (if at all) when the virus is on a surface outside of the body.
Old 03-19-2020, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Just wondering ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
Stop expecting and waiting for the government to take care of you. If people would take care of themselves the government would not have to step in; it would just have to make recommendations, under the expectation that the info is being given to adults who would listen and take heed. Instead, we have huge numbers of “me, me, me” people who say it doesn’t apply to “me”, it won’t happen to “me”, and no one will stop “me” from doing what I want, when I want, and regardless of how it affects everyone but “me”.

Businesses should close or implement work from home because it’s the right thing to do to protect their employees and customers.

People should stay home because that is what they have been advised to do and so they don’t get sick.

The press should report on the situation accurately and not sensationalize it to further their underlying agenda and gain viewership (to attract advertisers).

Our governments should be able to use their resources to combat the disease, not deal with stupid people who refuse to act responsibly and heed the advice of the experts.

‘Nuff said.
I agree. But too many people do not “take care of themselves” and do not “listen and take heed,” thus putting the rest of us at risk, which is why “the government” does have to “step in.” After all, there is nothing I can do to require them to alter their behavior, but “the government” DOES have that authority.

Apart from the usual denial, ignorance, self-centeredness, alcoholic attitudes, and (hate to say it) just plain stupidity, is it possible that those who embraced the initial response to this deadly and unprecedented (in our lifetimes) pandemic as being a political hoax simply continue to agree with this completely unrealistic view because it somehow supports them and their views in general? Curious to hear what others think....
Old 03-19-2020, 09:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Some beach "areas/towns" are closing their respective beaches.

DeSantis still thinks the social distancing and no more than 10 in a group will work.

The very vivid aerial shots of too many of the beaches still show very clearly those guidelines are meaningless to the participants.

Write to DeSantis to man up and order ALL BEACHES CLOSED.

Early closing of bars. Useless. Just check the bars here in TV.....crowded.

By actions not being taken in the face of a national emergency demonstrates lack of leadership and responsibility.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM

It is time for all the people who have nothing better to do than criticize the work of others. You need to put yourselves in the shoes of them before you have any basis to complain. The decision makers are in lots of stress and the decisions are not easy to make. Sad thing is they will get criticized no matter what they do... We need to work together, not be divisive. Sorry to preach, just expressing common sense...
Old 03-19-2020, 11:37 AM
Default Calm down

[Why don't we all calm down for the time being and let the "Pros" be our guide. We are only making our blood pressure rise, which in the Villages, is a no no.

QUOTE=billethkid;1729660]All one has to do is view the pools in TV and the beaches packed with spring breakers.

Until such time as they close down these places there is nothing but lip service being rendered.

I have been trying to remain positive about what is being done and changes to how we live has been significant.

When Las Vegas closes down and Disney closes down what does it tell everybody when the Florida beaches and pools in TV remain open.......social distancing....not where it needs to be.

And so why are the decision makers ignoring the open violation of social distancing by hundreds of thousands of people here?[/QUOTE]
Old 03-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Default As I reflect ...

SOOOoooooo … As I reflect on so many posts in this forum concerning Covid-19 and how we all should behave and what governments should dictate, I infer the following: from several VERY SENSIBLE posters that you probably would disagree with this one:
"We need to shut down EVERYTHING!"

and others would argue that this is NOT ENOUGH

Suffice to say, when I read that, I immediately envisioned Chicken Little running around in circles shouting "the sky is falling, the sky is falling"

Let's everyone stand back, take a deep breath (hold it for 10 secs without coughing and/or excessive "tightness" - some say a good test for the virus) and, perhaps, let saner minds prevail. I thank God that some of the folks on this forum are NOT making decisions for me and my family. For those who are cowering in fear as they witness others on the beaches (mostly younger folks who have NEVER been in touch with their mortality - were YOU?) and partaking in activities that you disapprove of, NO ONE is forcing you to partake. You can always self quarantine and let the others throw caution to the wind. If you were honest about YOUR viewpoint, you might realize it probably stems from a statist viewpoint regarding life and feel that everyone should do as you do because YOU know what's best. The Quiz - The Advocates for Self-Government For me, I'll take LIBERTY every time. I seem to remember a country being birthed on that same principle! Inform me honestly about the given situation (something ALL governments and the media are incapable of doing, unless it happens to correspond with the agenda) and I'll decide what my actions should be. I don't want ANY of you folks or government dictating to me; I must be under a mistaken impression that slavery ended 155 years ago in this country. Folks still capable of sane reasoning and critical thinking can't help but wonder what the bigger picture is here and if there is possibly something more sinister at work. As wiser folks than I have posited, Government is not reason, it is not eloquence — it is force. Like fire it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.

"... every time people get scared they just ramp it up… because they can, and because they’re addicts! Humans will agree to all sorts of horrific things if you can first get them afraid… and modern media is little more than a fear delivery system.
Control Is An Addiction

As I questioned in an earlier post, why were activities, e.g. sports events and other outdoor or arena events canceled that could have occurred, without spectators, which could have provided entertainment to "shut-ins" during these times? I could elaborate but questions such as these, IMHO, are worth asking.

Something to think about

Fred
Old 03-19-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

What do you call a partial quarantine ? A failure ! Now I understand give me liberty or give me death!
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=Quixote;1730015]I agree. But too many people do not “take care of themselves” and do not “listen and take heed,” thus putting the rest of us at risk, which is why “the government” does have to “step in.” After all, there is nothing I can do to require them to alter their behavior, but “the government” DOES have that authority.

Please cite your EXACT source for this statement

Fred
Old 03-19-2020, 01:26 PM

why would anyone take a chance and go into the pools anyway??
Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Sports pool

sports-pool-jpg
Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM
Default Keep pools open for safety

People are not that close at the pools and germs should die in the water. The pool is much needed exercise with everything else canceled.[/QUOTE]

You are right! Pools kill every virus you have on your body with the chlorine content. The other day I heard millions of virus screaming as they died in the pool. Not really, but there is nothing better for residents to stay clean of virus than pool waters. If those in charge would give us back that protection and exercise mode but keep attendance as in their restaurants at 50% and people emptied out every two hours to let others in would be fair. Common on, let's be smart about fighting this virus and not cause residents to bunch up in yards with nothing to do. Ray
Old 03-19-2020, 05:33 PM

Turn off the television and breath. We are miles from the beaches and pools are closed. Don’t panic, it negates faith and logic, be healthy. CDC.gov is a good resource
Closed Thread

Tags
beaches, remain, closes, open, social

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.