TV Virus numbers in The Sun

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2020, 10:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
As with al statistics, it's difficult to get an exact handle on the Villages numbers. Usually, stats are provided by county. Since The Villages lies in three different counties, it's difficult to determine exactly how many of the cases in each county are in The Villages proper.
Actually, if you go to the Department of Health dashboard and click on "SEE STATE REPORT" about 8 or 9 pages in there are breakdowns by location based upon zip code.

Here were yesterday's numbers:

720 The VIllages/Sumter County
39 The VILlages/Lake County
5 The Villages/Marion County
351 Lady Lake/Lake County
43. Lady Lake/Sumter County
Old 10-21-2020, 02:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,689 Times in 1,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansasr View Post
Actually, if you go to the Department of Health dashboard and click on "SEE STATE REPORT" about 8 or 9 pages in there are breakdowns by location based upon zip code.

Here were yesterday's numbers:

720 The VIllages/Sumter County
39 The VILlages/Lake County
5 The Villages/Marion County
351 Lady Lake/Lake County
43. Lady Lake/Sumter County
Sumter's 21% Positivity Linked To COVID-19 Cases At Coleman Prison
By JOE BYRNES - WMFE • OCT 1, 2020

BYRNES

An increase in COVID-19 cases in Sumter County is tied to newly reported data Wednesday from the federal prison complex in Coleman.

But The Villages retirement community also added 20 cases, according to the state, as it prepares to revive its social life next week.

The Villages will begin nightly concerts on the town squares and club activities in the recreation centers.

Sumter added 61 new positive tests on Tuesday and one additional death, bringing its death toll to 70. The positivity rate was 9.4% on Monday and more than 21% on Tuesday.

A Florida Department of Health spokeswoman says cases from Coleman are contributing to the spike.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons reports 257 active cases among prisoners there and 106 among staff. So far, three inmates have died.

Sumter's 21% Positivity Linked To COVID-19 Cases At Coleman Prison | Health News Florida

COVID-19 outbreak continues at prison in Bushnell as state tallies 38,828 cases | News Break
Old 10-21-2020, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Can someone help me with finding the daily Florida and TV virus numbers in The Sun. It seems to have become a guessing game on what page they are today.

I saw someone from Dade County last evening saying his numbers in Dade are escalating.
Stop relying on third-hand information for accurate information. You can get the data directly here:

Experience

That's from the people who actually collect the data, all compiled and neatly categorized. Scroll down for the "picture" of the state, and you can use your mouse's scrollbar to zoom in and out, and click on whichever county you want to know more about, or even input a specific zip code.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Gold member

FDOH
ArcGIS Dashboards

Click on each county.
Takes a few days for deaths to show accurate readings
Old 10-22-2020, 04:58 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Can someone help me with finding the daily Florida and TV virus numbers in The Sun. It seems to have become a guessing game on what page they are today.

I saw someone from Dade County last evening saying his numbers in Dade are escalating.
FROM NPR
Two new peer-reviewed studies are showing a sharp drop in mortality among hospitalized COVID-19 patients. The drop is seen in all groups, including older patients and those with underlying conditions, suggesting that physicians are getting better at helping patients survive their illness.

"We find that the death rate has gone down substantially," says Leora Horwitz, a doctor who studies population health at New York University's Grossman School of Medicine and an author on one of the studies, which looked at thousands of patients from March to August.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie0723 View Post
Sumter's 21% Positivity Linked To COVID-19 Cases At Coleman Prison
By JOE BYRNES - WMFE • OCT 1, 2020

BYRNES

An increase in COVID-19 cases in Sumter County is tied to newly reported data Wednesday from the federal prison complex in Coleman.

But The Villages retirement community also added 20 cases, according to the state, as it prepares to revive its social life next week.

The Villages will begin nightly concerts on the town squares and club activities in the recreation centers.

Sumter added 61 new positive tests on Tuesday and one additional death, bringing its death toll to 70. The positivity rate was 9.4% on Monday and more than 21% on Tuesday.

A Florida Department of Health spokeswoman says cases from Coleman are contributing to the spike.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons reports 257 active cases among prisoners there and 106 among staff. So far, three inmates have died.

Sumter's 21% Positivity Linked To COVID-19 Cases At Coleman Prison | Health News Florida

COVID-19 outbreak continues at prison in Bushnell as state tallies 38,828 cases | News Break
I'm more worried about the 106 employees and their possible effect on the general population.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:54 AM
Default Covid numbers in TV

Focus on deaths and hospitalizations not cases. Remember there are no specific numbers for just The Villages bubble.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:24 AM

Experience
Old 10-22-2020, 06:46 AM

The idea of "cured" figures is also misleading. We have no idea what long term effects these folks may suffer from. Of course I don't want people to die, but if covid damages your lungs or heart and forces serious live style changes you also a victim.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woderfulwendy1 View Post
Focus on deaths and hospitalizations not cases. Remember there are no specific numbers for just The Villages bubble.
On the main Florida dashboard, you can select the tab at the bottom that says "Cases by Zip Code" and zoom in on The Villages areas. With that view, you can see sections of The Villages broken out from the rest of their counties. You can break out everything in The Villages north of 44 except for the historic section -- today, it shows there have been 811 cases in these areas (it doesn't list fatalities). You can't beak out areas south of 44 or in the historic section, and it only shows cases.
Old 10-22-2020, 06:59 AM

Political comment deleted.

Last edited by Moderator; 10-22-2020 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce213 View Post
The idea of "cured" figures is also misleading. We have no idea what long term effects these folks may suffer from. Of course I don't want people to die, but if covid damages your lungs or heart and forces serious live style changes you also a victim.
Seems a LOT of people either don't understand, or are intentionally obfuscating, the situation. The people who are dying are dying from complications of COVID-19. That means - the virus is producing a pneumonia in their lungs that they end up dying from.

Those who get sick, and don't die, will be sick with a pneumonia, and all the POTENTIAL resulting illnesses that come with surviving pneumonia. Including permanent lung damage, heart damage, joint pain, susceptibility to other illnesses in the future, etc.

People who already had some kind of heart or lung problem, who ALSO get the COVID-19 pneumonia, will have a higher risk of death, and a higher risk of the lasting debilitating damage that results from surviving the pneumonia - if it doesn't kill them first.

The death rate, at this point, is not even all that relevant. What's more relevant now is the burden placed on society to care for all the people suffering from lung and heart damage AFTER SURVIVING Covid-19. If that doesn't take a significant hit on our economy, I don't know what will. Dead people don't cost a dime, once the funeral expenses are paid off. The ones who will need medical care for the rest of their lives and can no longer work to earn that care - they're the ones who'll cost us dearly.

So to those who care only about economy...consider that opening the state, opening the country, NOT closing it when we should have, not keeping it closed while we should have, not mandating masks, not mandating social distancing - has increased the number of sick people who will now be a burden on the tax payer.

Kind of makes me glad I'm in the "just barely above poverty" level. It means *I* won't have to pay that bill to cover the sick people in this country.

But you will.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,642 Times in 1,513 Posts

I am not overly interested in the infection numbers, as they have been proven to be an inaccurate gauge for determining the current health risk. I am more interested in the death rate--current death rate. The infection rate is only determined by the positive test results and we have already seen how inaccurate that information is, considering all the faulty recording and false positives. If you have more testing, you have a higher infection rate. If you have less testing the rate goes down. Death rates give you an accurate assessment of how dangerous the virus is at the current time period.
The death rate has been very low in The Villages, in comparison to other areas of the country. My opinion is that the reason for this is that there are very few school aged children in the Villages, capable of infecting seniors. There are also less working adults that might be exposed to the virus on a daily basis. This is all my opinion with a sprinkling of speculation.
Infection rates can be manipulated according to the amount of testing. Death rates are a more accurate means of measure, even though a lot of deaths are attributed to the virus purely because the victims tested positive for COVID.
I feel fine, but I have no doubt that I could easily have a positive test for the virus. Most folks that have tested positive for the virus in The Villages have felt fine. When you watch as a long line forms at the testing sights daily, you can see that many folks are just looking for confirmation that they are not infected, and feel fine.
Death count is the most accurate means of determining the current extent of the virus scourge.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aacosner View Post
On the main Florida dashboard, you can select the tab at the bottom that says "Cases by Zip Code" and zoom in on The Villages areas. With that view, you can see sections of The Villages broken out from the rest of their counties. You can break out everything in The Villages north of 44 except for the historic section -- today, it shows there have been 811 cases in these areas (it doesn't list fatalities). You can't beak out areas south of 44 or in the historic section, and it only shows cases.
Actually the dashboard does break out the whole Villages area- there are only two zip codes that are villages only, 32162,32163, those numbers include south of 44. When you test positive and they collect your address and zip, you are included in the to Villages areas. You’ll see other zip codes that are for Coleman, Wildwood etc
Old 10-22-2020, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,939 Times in 5,278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Stop relying on third-hand information for accurate information. You can get the data directly here:

Experience

That's from the people who actually collect the data, all compiled and neatly categorized. Scroll down for the "picture" of the state, and you can use your mouse's scrollbar to zoom in and out, and click on whichever county you want to know more about, or even input a specific zip code.
Would think that info on what is happening with the virus would be important news and the paper would want to get the info to its subscribers.

Silly me to think otherwise.
Closed Thread

Tags
numbers, sun, virus, dade, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.