two bright shinny things in the western sky

Closed Thread
Old 06-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts
Default two bright shinny things in the western sky

For those of us that look up and wonder what the two brightest shinny things are in the sky that seem to be getting closer are! well They are! It's Venus the big bright one and Jupiter the smaller bright one getting ready to Conjunction. Venus will be over taking Jupiter and will actually move in front of it, thus blocking out or view. Here more if interested Watch the great race of Venus and Jupiter in June 2015 | Tonight | EarthSky
Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 PM
Gold member

I just noticed them last night on the way home from Spanish Springs.

The sky was clear and they were exceptionally bright. I thought that perhaps I had just never noticed them before. Makes me wish I had a telescope.

Thanks for the info. I always wish I knew more about astronomy. It is fascinating!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:13 AM
Gold member

I've been watching them for a while. I love looking and wondering ...
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
For those of us that look up and wonder what the two brightest shinny things are in the sky that seem to be getting closer are! well They are! It's Venus the big bright one and Jupiter the smaller bright one getting ready to Conjunction. Venus will be over taking Jupiter and will actually move in front of it, thus blocking out or view. Here more if interested Watch the great race of Venus and Jupiter in June 2015 | Tonight | EarthSky
Thank you for this post. I'm afraid I didn't even look up. I will now

I know we aren't supposed to make jokes or be snarky anymore, but that is who I am. My husband told me it was Sky King And Penny.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager Joyce View Post
Thank you for this post. I'm afraid I didn't even look up. I will now

I know we aren't supposed to make jokes or be snarky anymore, but that is who I am. My husband told me it was Sky King And Penny.
Thanks for the old time tv reference--it struck a chord.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,479 Times in 712 Posts

Noticed the sight last night. Looking forward to the next few nights.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti105 View Post
I just noticed them last night on the way home from Spanish Springs.

The sky was clear and they were exceptionally bright. I thought that perhaps I had just never noticed them before. Makes me wish I had a telescope.

Thanks for the info. I always wish I knew more about astronomy. It is fascinating!

You really do not need a telescope. If you have a device that allows downloads of apps then try SkyView Free app. You can see planets and constellations along with the space station and Hubble telescope. Pretty neat app.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Sage

yes,,,thank-you for the post
I noticed them friday night. I thought is was a USO [unidentified stationary object]
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you for this; we've been watching it as well. Do you have any idea when this phenomenon last occurred? We can't seem to find that info.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
Thank you for this; we've been watching it as well. Do you have any idea when this phenomenon last occurred? We can't seem to find that info.
Planet conjunction happen frequently, but I think (but don't know for sure) the last time venus and Jupiter was this close (by our view from the earth) was 2000 years ago? About the time son of the Lord was born? Some think it was the star of Bethlehem?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Planet conjunction happen frequently, but I think (but don't know for sure) the last time venus and Jupiter was this close (by our view from the earth) was 2000 years ago? About the time son of the Lord was born? Some think it was the star of Bethlehem?
Thanks; had no idea. Very glad for the info, and that you initiated this thread.
Old 06-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Thanks! Been watching it during dog's last whizzes of the day. (Can't believe spell check accepted that.)

Tags
bright, venus, things, jupiter, sky, shinny, front, move, taking, interested, blocking, view, western, brightest, big, smaller, ready, closer, conjunction

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.