Two spaces after period..no longer the rule?

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Someone needs to inform my ipad
Old 10-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

wow this is an earth moving event that I somehow missed!
Old 10-29-2014, 06:30 PM
Sage

I will continue to use the two spaces. It actually makes it more readable, I think.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:36 PM
Gold member

I think the same committee that eight-sixed the second space also revoked Pluto's status as a planet.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Sage

Forgive me for not reading the link. Did it mention indenting? Whenever I don't indent I think someone down here is taking 2 points off.
.....How's that Sister Jovita?
Old 10-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
The lady who wrote the article did a follow up in the comment section where she acknowledged that the rule had changed back to two spaces.

"Well, here’s a new wrinkle: One of my facebook readers pointed out the although APA guidelines at one time reduced the required spacing after a period from two down to one, they returned it to two in 2009 in the 6th Edition (see section 4, first bullet)."

Perhaps she should have just removed her posting.

Now, here's how it works on computers. If you type something and leave ragged right margins, then spaces have the same value as letters. But, if you go up to the format line and select "justified margins" so the right edge is even, as in a book, then you get differences in the sizes of the spaces between words to make the right margin even. That option is not available on the TOTV format line.

By the way, no "rulemaker" is going to prevent me from doing two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence.

Thanks for the explanation, and it's nice to hear from you, Carl. Been missing you!
Old 10-29-2014, 10:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Thanks for the explanation, and it's nice to hear from you, Carl. Been missing you!

More Carl makes my day better.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
By the way, no "rulemaker" is going to prevent me from doing two spaces after a period at the end of a sentence.

Me too Carl, but my computer won't let me.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

You can put as many spaces as you want and then when you do spell check, MS Word will tell you that you have extra spaces. You can either let Word make it one space or leave it at two or more.

I do not think that many of the people that write memos, letters, documentation, etc. on their PC ever took any kind of typing class. I know that I did not. But in my years as a techie, I wrote a lot of procedures, memos, etc.. The only things that I cared about was the content, spelling and the punctuation.

Z
Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hankg42 View Post
For me, I'm guessing it was the nuns at Catholic school!

no way. The nuns never talked about periods. space space

http://www.slate.com/articles/techno..._invaders.html
Same subject longer explanation from 2011
Old 10-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Sage

I love two spaces after the period. A period is a longer pause than a coma. So say what you will, two spaces at the end of a sentence flows like a good conversation. It's like leaving enough space for a full stop.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I have been using two spaces too. Now I think it may be time for a change. Okay, I just changed over to one space and it looks just fine. Hey, it works! From now on it will be one space. Think of all the energy I'll save.
I was taught two spaces at the end of a sentence when I took a journalism course. I will not change. With only one space, regardless if it is proportional or monospace, it looks like a run-on sentence. When a sentence ends in a l or exclamation point and the next sentence begins with an I, you still don't know what the hell you're reading. Here's an example: -- That's all! I love it. -- Two spaces would definitely make it easier to read.

Now to the nitty-gritty . . .

You never realized it, but TOTV automatically changed your two spaces to one. Regardless of what you do, when you submit anything on TOTV, the site automatically uses one space only at the end of each sentence It really doesn't matter; TOTV has taken poetic license and have changed the two spaces to one!

Last edited by Bonanza; 10-30-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
You can put as many spaces as you want and then when you do spell check, MS Word will tell you that you have extra spaces. You can either let Word make it one space or leave it at two or more.

I do not think that many of the people that write memos, letters, documentation, etc. on their PC ever took any kind of typing class. I know that I did not. But in my years as a techie, I wrote a lot of procedures, memos, etc.. The only things that I cared about was the content, spelling and the punctuation.

Z
I wish everyone felt the way you do.
Can we add grammar to your list of things?
Old 10-30-2014, 08:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I've noticed for quite some time that my computer will remove one space when I go back and read it.
I think the change in your computer may have something to do with your settings.
I always use two spaces after each sentence.
My computer doesn't change that.

Last edited by Bonanza; 10-30-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2014, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I was taught two spaces at the end of a sentence when I took a journalism course. I will not change. With only one space, regardless if it is proportional or monospace, it looks like a run-on sentence. When a sentence ends in a l or exclamation point and the next sentence begins with an I, you still don't know what the hell you're reading. Here's an example: -- That's all! I love it. -- Two spaces would definitely make it easier to read.

Now to the nitty-gritty . . .

You never realized it, but TOTV automatically changed your two spaces to one. Regardless of what you do, when you submit anything on TOTV, the site automatically uses one space only at the end of each sentence It really doesn't matter; TOTV has taken poetic license and have changed the two spaces to one!
And what's more interesting is when I got the TOTV email alert that someone had posted further on this topic (you), the email (that always lists what the poster said) left the two spaces in between your sentences, except for your example sentences where you intentionally only left one space.

SO... who is in charge? How come the TOTV emails do it correctly but the postings do not? Are they using some third party for putting up the postings, who changes it to one space? Or is the third party sending the emails who leave it at two spaces?

I'm all for two spaces. And PARAGRAPHS, please, in very long posts. Breaking it up makes it so much easier to read.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.