The U.S. Now Has The Most Cases.

Closed Thread
Old 03-26-2020, 08:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
NY ignored the issue too long and now they are "paying for it."

The NY area is over 1/2 of the USA cases and they are 10 times the next state.
And they're all flying down here to escape the quarantine (and to enjoy the warm weather and cheap airline fares). Entitled. Not following orders. How can this end well?
Old 03-26-2020, 10:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
& over 90% of China has recovered already.
Who says? China? I would believe anything that comes out of that government’s mouth.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
The sad part of this for me is PPE should be readily available for all of us but it seems the mighty USA can't even get masks to their hospitals. Early on a number of "experts" said wearing an N95 mask would not help curb transmission of the virus, bull!!!!. It is costing thousands of dollars to treat a single person with this virus while these masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer cost almost nothing. Everyone going into a grocery store or working in a store should be wearing at least a N95 mask and gloves but none are available. I know we Americans think we are a lot more intelligent than the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese but I can't help notice they are all wearing masks and gloves. But cheer up the stock market rallied today with record unemployment claims and there are a million checks going out to everyone who can vote, maybe we can attach a couple rubber bands on them and use them for a mask. Thank you for letting me vent.
Well should be deleted due to political over tone.

Can’t get toilet paper either, where do you think majority are made? CHINA, what happens when there run of on anything? It becomes very, very, VERY hard to get. Takes time for company to quadruple production of anything in crisis.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Just in case you didn't think we had a problem.. We just passed Italy and China in confirmed cases.

Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center
Majority of us watch the news also.
I wouldn’t trust anything Chinese government says.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Just in case you didn't think we had a problem.. We just passed Italy and China in confirmed cases.

Hmmm, yes, I think the "grim statistics" state that 1,000 people in the U.S. are now deceased from the covid 19 virus. So 79,000 more people would have to die from the current virus to match the amount of people that died from influenza just 2 years ago.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Actually the report is that the US has the most REPORTED cases. It is highly likely that China (for instance) had many unreported cases. The US has been aggressive in testing for COVID19 and that drove the number up. Good information to have but it should not be used purely as a measure of our response - or lack of.
I am not sure of your definition of aggressively testing. IMO the US is still actively avoiding aggressively testing and has in place a policy of very selectively testing only the most ill patients. And even with that policy there are still shortages of test kits, testing sites. In Italy they are doing mass testing of everyone in some regions. Not just the symptomatic but those who have absolutely no symptoms. That defines aggressive testing. South Korea had walk in testing for everyone, no doctor's order. That is aggressive testing.
Here, you need a doctor's order to have private testing done. The doctor must collect the sample unless you happen to have a mobile lab set up for a few days in your polo field. Most doctors are NOT collecting samples.
But the point is, the US is among the most restrictive in testing both because of the way our health care system is organized, the still great shortage of testing kits and sites. Do you really believe that if today you developed a sore throat and mild runny nose that there is anyplace you could get a Covid test easily done?
If there is anything about testing rates in the US, it is how unaggressive or unprepared we have been so far. I have a distant relative in rural Ohio, in bed with 102 fever and respiratory symptoms. She has been told she does not need testing. No test for her. There have been no reported cases in her rural county. Do you see why?
Are other countries less prepared than the US, certainly. Are other countries struggling with lack of testing, certainly. Are countries fudging their numbers.. I don't know.

Things are improving as to test kits and in terms of people and leaders taking this much more seriously than they did 2 weeks ago. Both of those attitude adjustments will help. But we have certainly not changed the approach from very selective testing to anything aggressive. When you get that phone call from someone you ate with last week who now has cold symptoms and you ask, "Did you get a Covid test?", you know that it is very likely the answer will be "I called my doctor and I don't qualify." So now you're in the dark about that potential exposure. Then it won't seem like we're aggressively testing anymore.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
3 weeks ago Mayor Deblasio was urging New Yorkers to go out on the town.
Absolutely accurate. It was Gov Cuomo who shut down Broadway, and the St Patricks Day parade when De Blasio didn't. The Governor gets high marks for acting to flatten the curve. De Blasio failed to act until NYC was in trouble.
Old 03-27-2020, 05:43 AM

Quote:
3 weeks ago Mayor Deblasio was urging New Yorkers to go out on the town.
Florida’s Governor still hasn’t ordered everyone to stay home except groceries or prescriptions. Does he intentionally want Florida residents to get sick?

Why so many non symptom testing available in TV but none available for other states? Just keeping voters intact?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 AM

Exactly, not to mention from the start the Chinese have lied about and distorted the severity of the problem they had.

A comparison to tests vs population, percentage of tests that were done that came back positive, and positive tests vs deaths are far better indicators of the severity of the problem.

In yesterday’s press conference they said only 15% of the tests come back positive.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Who says? China? I would believe anything that comes out of that government’s mouth.

Jus reporting data from John Hopkins.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:09 AM
Gold member
Default Don’t be fooled!

Quote:

You can not trust any information from China. No one really knows what is going on there!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:13 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

At this time it is more of a New York problem than it is a U. S. problem. And the reason why we’re showing more cases is because we have tested more than anyone or any country despite what you may hear...
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 AM
Thanked 1,306 Times in 237 Posts

We have done significantly more testing than South Korea did!
Old 03-27-2020, 06:15 AM

"The US has been aggressive in testing for COVID19 and that drove the number up. "

Exactly!

And, I see no mention of the number of those suffering from seasonal flu.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Default Believing

Quote:
Believing anything China says is dangerous for your health,
Believing anything that is said in the Coronavirus task force news conferences except by the doctors is extremely dangerous for your health.
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, confirmed, china, italy, passed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.