The U.S. Now Has The Most Cases.

Closed Thread
Old 03-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Default Testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
We have done significantly more testing than South Korea did!
Significantly less in terms of population - South Korea's population is 1/6th of the USA.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:41 AM
Default Deaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
Hmmm, yes, I think the "grim statistics" state that 1,000 people in the U.S. are now deceased from the covid 19 virus. So 79,000 more people would have to die from the current virus to match the amount of people that died from influenza just 2 years ago.
The CDC estimates 34200 deaths from the flu in the 2018-2019 season.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

I realize the "national" message is to attack those in New York. Have you checked out Mass ? You have your head in the sand concentrating on New York.

The National message was almost exactly the same as New York's at exactly the same time.

Our leaders are National......again, as much as I can....let's stop laying blame. This is a National crisis, not one in which we look to the mayor of New York for leadership.

If these diversions help you fine, but your "aim" is way way off.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:13 AM
Default Whrere' the context?

It always bothers me how people use numbers. Having worked with stats and risk analysis for many years when I hear numbers out of context it really bothers me. There are two numbers here that are important. Percent of total population and profile of people who died. Yes, we have surpassed Italy in the total number of cases, but Italy has ~ 61 million people, we have as of the end of January almost 330 million people. So to effectively match Italy's death rate we would have 5 X the number of deaths. Also, it is known that the disproportionate number of deaths is in people over 80 with three or more underlying conditions, followed by people over 65, also with one or more underlying conditions. A risk based analysis says - target the "hot spots" and prioritize your approach with the resources you have available. What is going on now tells me that the available, or soon to be available resources, need to be sent to the critical areas as quickly as possible (as is the current plan), the guidelines for slowing the spread need to be followed and you and I must assess our personal risk and do what we need to do to be safe. It also says we should not cripple our children's future by destroying jobs and panicking the entire population. It is interesting to note that the target population in the 1918 flu were young people. It has been suspected that older people had had a weaker version of the flu at some point previously and developed an immunity, which is why they were not so heavily affected. Stay safe.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:14 AM

Just a month ago we were told the cases would go to zero and people believed him
Old 03-27-2020, 07:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Yea and now we're going to let a Cruise ship with sick people onboard dock here. Why?
We have enough sick people of our own!
Old 03-27-2020, 07:33 AM
Default Masks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper1 View Post
The sad part of this for me is PPE should be readily available for all of us but it seems the mighty USA can't even get masks to their hospitals. Early on a number of "experts" said wearing an N95 mask would not help curb transmission of the virus, bull!!!!. It is costing thousands of dollars to treat a single person with this virus while these masks, gloves, and hand sanitizer cost almost nothing. Everyone going into a grocery store or working in a store should be wearing at least a N95 mask and gloves but none are available. I know we Americans think we are a lot more intelligent than the Chinese, Koreans, and Japanese but I can't help notice they are all wearing masks and gloves. But cheer up the stock market rallied today with record unemployment claims and there are a million checks going out to everyone who can vote, maybe we can attach a couple rubber bands on them and use them for a mask. Thank you for letting me vent.
Maybe the problem is that all those masks, hand sanitizer etc. are made in China
Old 03-27-2020, 07:39 AM

We have more test kits! According to the CDC the US is 6th in number of deaths from the corona virus, just over 1,000. According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States
Pass facts please not fear.

By the way...
The reports are that the truckers are getting supplies to the stores. People are stocking the shelves all night and letting old people shop first. Carnival Cruise line told Trump “We can match those big Navy Hospital ships with some fully staffed cruise ships” GM said hold our cars and watch this; we can make those ventilators where we were making cars starting next week. Women and children are making homemade masks and handing out snacks to truckers. Restaurants and schools said, We’ve got kitchens and staff; we can feed kids.” Churches are holding on-line services and taking care of their members and community. NBA basketball players said, “Hold our basketballs while we write checks to pay the arena staff.” Construction companies said, “Here are some masks for the medical staff and doctors”. Breweries are making sanitizer out of the left-over ingredients. We thought we couldn’t live without Baseball, NASCAR, NBA or going to the beach, restaurants or a bar. Instead, we’re trying to keep those businesses open by ordering take-out.

What communist China didn't count on was America saying "Hey, hold my beer and watch this."

I think a Japanese Admiral in the middle of the Pacific said it best in 1941, "I think we have awakened a sleeping giant."

Give us a few more weeks (maybe months) and we will be doing much better! And stop listening to the hysterical media!!

Sharing this from another FB friend. We have wonderful country and an amazing God.

God’s got us!🇺🇸🙏🏻🙌🏻🙏🏻🇺🇸

#unitedwestand

Copy and pasted. Author unknown.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:41 AM

That's because we test more and our test kits work. We also have the lowest death rate because our health services and treatment is much better than letting people die
Old 03-27-2020, 07:42 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

How can you believe anything coming out of China? They lie continuously and then accuse US of spreading the virus to THEM and now have closed their boards so FOREIGNERS do not being the virus into their country? Really? Who knows what the status is there now? We did a good job and if we can improve on that, we should and will.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
3 weeks ago Mayor Deblasio was urging New Yorkers to go out on the town.
And now...he's criticizing the gov't for not doing more.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:48 AM

In cases per million, we're quite low: 239, to Italy's 1,333, Spain's 1,202, Germany's 521, France's 447, ...

We're low on deaths per million.

We're high in total cases mainly because we're high in total population.

We're low in per-million deaths because the feds shut down a lot of transportation early and closed the borders.
Old 03-27-2020, 08:03 AM

But not in deaths....
Old 03-27-2020, 08:24 AM

Correct don't wear a mask if you are not sick.it does not prevent particles from flying in.. if you are out and about and have a compromised immune system then I wouldn't hesitate to wear one but normally no...
Old 03-27-2020, 08:47 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

The death toll here was supposed to be 3.4 percent but looks like it may be as low as 1.5 percent. Italy had a 10 percent death rate.
Closed Thread

Tags
cases, confirmed, china, italy, passed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.