U.S. Social Security

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Sage
Default U.S. Social Security

In another thread, it was stated that "Canadian snowbirds"add a lot of dollars to the U.S. and it costs the U.S. nothing.

One of our former neighbors was a Canadian snowbird and had worked in the States during the times he and his wife were here. Both he and his wife collected Social Security each month. This was the first I knew a non-citizen could get Social Security and also for his wife who had never worked in the U.S.

I realize they would have paid US taxes on the money earned and also contributed to FICA. However, in the end, they may end up costing the U.S. depending how much Social Security they collect.
Old 06-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
In another thread, it was stated that "Canadian snowbirds"add a lot of dollars to the U.S. and it costs the U.S. nothing.

One of our former neighbors was a Canadian snowbird and had worked in the States during the times he and his wife were here. Both he and his wife collected Social Security each month. This was the first I knew a non-citizen could get Social Security and also for his wife who had never worked in the U.S.

I realize they would have paid US taxes on the money earned and also contributed to FICA. However, in the end, they may end up costing the U.S. depending how much Social Security they collect.
Good points. I think a major question is why our immigration and IRS monitor so capably and effectively our northern border entrants' immigration documentation and status, but not the southern border entrants. Somebody wants and allows the difference in surveillance, registration, and accounting.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Good points. I think a major question is why our immigration and IRS monitor so capably and effectively our northern border entrants' immigration documentation and status, but not the southern border entrants. Somebody wants and allows the difference in surveillance, registration, and accounting.
I think I can answer that? They have money to take. The northern border willing to work with us not against us. Going southwest can't get blood from turnip. Unless if comes from Reefer's cash or Florida Snow.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Although they are not US citizens, they are here legally with a green card and able to get work and pay taxes. They can collect SS when they reach the right age and has worked for 10 yrs. His wife would collect 1/2 his. Years ago it was very easy to come to US, basically buy a airplane ticket or drive. Once here, apply for a SS card and drivers license and you are good to go. Very easy. They may also be eligible of medicare. One other thing, you would need a sponcer to get a green card.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

North = work. South = free.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It was the Chinese that built our railroads for free. Fortunately, we now have the Mexicans to work in our restaurants, yard work and construction for almost nothing. We have to keep those profits up! I wonder why we don't see many Mexicans working in Starbucks. Must be one of the good jobs with health care and college assistance. Only in America are we allowed to take advantage of the latest immigrants.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
It was the Chinese that built our railroads for free. Fortunately, we now have the Mexicans to work in our restaurants, yard work and construction for almost nothing. We have to keep those profits up! I wonder why we don't see many Mexicans working in Starbucks. Must be one of the good jobs with health care and college assistance. Only in America are we allowed to take advantage of the latest immigrants.

And the latest immigrants are allowed to take advantage of us.

Just before we moved here year 'round in Cincinnati where we lived I was standing in the grocery behind a young couple with their baby, obviously Hispanic. I waited for a long time while they put their groceries in order, all of the fruits and vegetables check, they handed the checker a slip of paper. Then all of their canned goods, check, another piece of paper, Then paper products. etc. etc.
When they left I asked the check out person what was all that paper? And she said that it was vouchers for Aid to Dependent Children. the young family had just arrived and needed help.

I am the granddaughter of immigrants. My father was the first in his family able to attend college. My grandparents and aunts and uncles worked hard and not one of their children or grandchildren have yet to get in trouble with the law, they all have taken care of themselves. At the time my grandfather immigrated from Germany, he had to have a sponsor and he was indentured for awhile. I too believe our lifeblood is our cultural diversity, but people have to be able to make their own way if they plan to make such a big move. I see people working hard here from other countries and I know they won't stay in menial jobs very long. They will succeed just like my family. But we cannot encourage people to live off of us without working.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
My cousin from Sweden visited recently, and I asked her who did the less than desirable work there. She said that it was Algerians and Moroccans. So I doubt if we have the corner on taking advantage of the latest immigrants.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
And who do you think took advantage of these workers that built the railroads? Immigrates that immigrated here. Since the beginning of time someone has been taken advantage of some on else. No one had to immigrate. the do it to get out of the S%%%HOLE country their in.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Our current laws require that anyone petitioning to immigrate must prove that they are self sufficient and will not be a burden on the U.S. Our government has chosen to ignore that law as well as refusing to enforce virtually all other immigration laws. Yes, we Americans really take unfair advantage...NOT!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:

The original thread you were referring to would account for somewhere in the 90 percentile of Canadian Snowbirds. Canadian Snowbirds are typically retired so they would not and should not get any benefits from the US. We understand that monies made on properties owned in the US would be subject to appropriate taxation and we pay that with a smile on our face. We have our own hospitalization when up North and pay for health care when we are down south. We certainly would not want anything for nothing.

We love the country, the people, the weather, and more importantly, the way of life. We pay a full year of costs for 6 months of paradise...what a deal! We can't wait to get down there again to spend more money to help the local economy.

Thanks for being you.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:18 AM
Sage

In The Villages, would you rather see an ethnic and religious mix of residents equal to the percentile makeup of the entire state of Florida or a homogeneous mixture that has the same uniform appearance and composition throughout. Naturally, I am talking all in the same 55+ age group.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
In The Villages, would you rather see an ethnic and religious mix of residents equal to the percentile makeup of the entire state of Florida or a homogeneous mixture that has the same uniform appearance and composition throughout. Naturally, I am talking all in the same 55+ age group.
Oh. Please.

What are ya gonna do to get that utopian "ethnic and religious mix"? Handcuff, shackle, and put a bag over their head and drag them in and put them in a house somebody else pays for???

The best "mix", I think, is a mix that occurred when people freely chose where to live and work, where they have the personal freedom to make that choice.....legally.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:41 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
Oh. Please.

What are ya gonna do to get that utopian "ethnic and religious mix"? Handcuff, shackle, and put a bag over their head and drag them in and put them in a house somebody else pays for???

The best "mix", I think, is a mix that occurred when people freely chose where to live and work, where they have the personal freedom to make that choice.....legally.
How about to target advertise in their communities around Florida and around the USA? There are plenty of people of various ethnic and religious backgrounds that are not fully represented in The Villages who are the middle-class and upper middle-class couples like the rest of us are who would fit in perfectly.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Some of the hardest working people I have ever met were from the "south" as you put it. You wouldn't have been able to keep up with them.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.