Upstairs,Downstairs redux

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage
Default Upstairs,Downstairs redux

The three-part sequel to Masterpiece Theater's Upstairs Downstairs began last night. I was a passionate fan of the original series, and I think this one is even better. It's wonderful that Jean Marsh is still there and saves the day again!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Unfortunately, I missed the original series so I am thoroughly enjoying this one!
Old 04-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Gold member
Default Thanks K-9

That was going to be my next question - if you missed the original, would you enjoy the new one? Apparently, you did!
Old 04-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Thank you, jblum,

I did not know this was going to be on. I just searched with the DVR, under Masterpiece, and found I can catch the first one when it repeats in the wee hours of the morning. I have set it to record. I think it can be seen online, too. I am so glad you let us know about this.

Boomer
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

Loved it! Too bad it is only 3 episodes. Did you know you can watch it online? If you missed Downton Abbey you can also watch that online. Just go to the pbs website.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM
Gold member

I never really watched the original that much though I have always heard great things about it. I did love the new one this past Sunday night and can't wait for the next episode.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
The three-part sequel to Masterpiece Theater's Upstairs Downstairs began last night. I was a passionate fan of the original series, and I think this one is even better. It's wonderful that Jean Marsh is still there and saves the day again!
I loved it! It brought back the same atmosphere as the original which I loved. Between this and Downton Abbey, PBS has really done well.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:07 PM

We enjoyed watching it too and looking forward to part 2. Downtown Abbey was great too!
Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Soaring Parsley

Part II brought me to tears with the tragic story of the lovely, brave, young Jewish woman and her child. The different attitudes and reactions of those living in the house. The marbles. A powerful episode.

Last week after watching the first part, I checked Netflix to see what the odds were of being able to get the old series that way. Yeah right. A wait. A big wait. Probably a never-ending wait.

So my next stop was Amazon where I sprung for the 40th Anniversary Edition of "Upstairs Downstairs," 68 episodes on 20 discs, plus a bonus disc. I doubt that I will ever get around to watching the bonus disc. But I do want to see the entire series -- which is going to take me a while.

I don't often buy DVD's and this set was kind of expensive. So before I ordered, I ran it through that part of my brain that I call "expenditure justification" and found that when I divided the overall cost by the cost per episode, and then factored in the value of a little time out to watch, that math worked for me. (You know how that old cost-per-wearing thing can work for us girls. Well, it was sort of like that.)

Boomer
Old 04-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Okay, Boomer! You are to blame for making me part with a good chunk of change. I just ordered it, too.

Seriously, thanks for the recommendation. Since I missed it in the 70's, I've been wanting to see the series.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:49 AM
Sage

I wanted to give it to my daughter but she says she hasn't got time (full-time job, 2 little kids) to watch 68 hours of TV.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Okay, Boomer! You are to blame for making me part with a good chunk of change. I just ordered it, too.

Seriously, thanks for the recommendation. Since I missed it in the 70's, I've been wanting to see the series.
Hey K-9,

Sounds like our "expenditure justification" parts of our brains aligned through cyberspace. And I know we are going to be happy to have those 68 hours of episodes at our beckon call --- or is it "beck and call"? -- I have never known for sure......I think it has to be the first one.....oh well....I digress.....imagine that......so anyway.....

About that chunk of change -- I tend to look at numbers first and then somehow move those numbers into story-problem form..... --

Story-Problems! Story-Problems -- those horrors from elementary school......

Between story-problems and those drills to duck and cover, some of those elementary school days could get pretty stressful.....

And then I had to try so hard to keep my mouth shut to keep myself from saying to my teacher, "How will hiding under our desks possibly save us from the bomb?"...... Whoops -- uh, please forgive this morning's flashback.

So anyway, buying the entire series of Upstairs Downstairs cost about as much as a couple of decent theater seats in Cincinnati for the Broadway Series. And that would be just for one night.

See how I can make this "expenditure justification" stuff work.....And I tend to pick stocks in much the same way. Glance at a few numbers and then convert those numbers into a story-problem.

And nobody better come in here and call that English-major-math. (I kind of like the narrator who lives in my head.)

Anyway, K-9, I think you will be happy that you bought in.

Consumer Staples Boomer
Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

Expenditure Justification = HoneyBoy's Birthday

But first I have to ask... Do the 40th Anniversary DVDs have Closed Captions?
I love the British programs, but I can't understand them. It's as if they're speaking a foreign language. I need the captions. We have a brand new set of Foyle's War, but it doesn't have CC, so there was a lot of "What did he say?" "Wait, go back so I can hear that again." I was exhausted from listening by the time the show was over.

I read the entire Upstairs Downstairs description at Amazon, but I didn't see anything about closed captions. It does say SDH Subtitles. Would that be Spanish, Deutsch & Huguenot languages? I need the subtitles to be in English, please. If you know the answer, please caption back to me.
Gracias, Danke, Merci.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 PM
Soaring Parsley

Hi uujudy,

It is subtitled in English.

I am only on episode 4 of the first season. I just checked it, turned the subtitles on, and they are in English.

I know what you mean though because I was having a hard time, some of the time, with the new episodes that just ran on PBS. It's like I cannot quite get my ear tuned to the rhythm of the speech for a while.

But so far, I have been fine with the DVD's, even though I had the same concerns as you have. Of course, I am not too far in yet. But the subtitles are there, just in case.

Boomer
Old 05-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Uh oh, I'd better hurry up and watch my dvds so I can catch up with you, Boomer. I placed the box set near the tv, hoping Mr. K9 would say something like, "Wow! Let's watch some of that Upstairs Downstairs show tonight." But, he just keeps watching hockey. The Stanley Cup Playoffs have sucked him into hockey mode (he used to play hockey professionally). So, now I'll get started without him. Seems that whenever I watch British movies featuring croquet, garden parties and pianoforte he ends up snoring in the recliner (which I'm trying to sell) and I have to keep poking him in the ribs so we can watch together. So now, since you are watching, I'll pretend you are sitting next to me just soaking in all that British wonderfulness.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.