US issues global travel warning after terror attacks

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2015, 06:34 AM
Sage
Default US issues global travel warning after terror attacks

US issues global travel warning after terror attacks:

For those of us who either have adult children or grandchildren who travel internationally, whether for business, pleasure or for educational reasons; or, for those of us planning an upcoming trip.........please read below statement from Washington.

Even domestically, we are not 100% safe from harm while traveling, nor are our brave military personnel, or athletes, whether home or abroad (never forget the Ft. Hood terrorism which was certainly NOT workplace violence nor the Boston Marathon bombing which harmed innocent children as well as adults).

""WASHINGTON — The United States has issued a global travel warning after recent terror attacks in France, Australia and Canada.

The alert comes hours after French police killed three hostage-takers in a pair of incidents. Two of the men are believed responsible for Wednesday's attack on a satirical magazine in Paris. **Twelve people were killed in that assault, France's deadliest terror incident in decades.

The State Department's warning says attacks against Americans are becoming increasingly prevalent.

It also cites an increased risk of reprisals against U.S. and Western targets for the U.S.-led intervention against Islamic State militants in Syria and Iraq.

The warning also cited last month's hostage standoff at a Sydney cafe and the October killing of a soldier near Canada's parliament.""

p.s.
**Actually, 17 people total, killed, (the last I heard) in all incidents involving the terrorists in France.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

So SC, are you here on campus?
Old 01-10-2015, 08:52 AM

Personally, after watching the news this morning, I would feel safer travelling in Paris than I would in Michigan! Then again, I flew to Turkey in October out of JFK on Turkish Air one month after 9/11. One has to pick their fears and concerns.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

this link is to the federal travel and passports site with the specifics included:

Worldwide Caution

Before retiring (work!) and continue the practice....if the state department cautioned or warned against a particular country we would not allow our people to go there.

General cautions as above are more difficult to deal with as they are so wide and general. Best approach? Do what one MUST do....exercise common sense...be aware of your surroundings....alway/always/always be aware of entrances and exits to or from where one is.

Another tip is when you check into your room in any hotel/motel, be sure you know exactly where the exits are. It only takes a minute and could save your life.

Paranoid? NO! Common sense safety awareness.....huge return on investment of time taken!
Old 01-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
this link is to the federal travel and passports site with the specifics included:

Worldwide Caution

Before retiring (work!) and continue the practice....if the state department cautioned or warned against a particular country we would not allow our people to go there.

General cautions as above are more difficult to deal with as they are so wide and general. Best approach? Do what one MUST do....exercise common sense...be aware of your surroundings....alway/always/always be aware of entrances and exits to or from where one is.

Another tip is when you check into your room in any hotel/motel, be sure you know exactly where the exits are. It only takes a minute and could save your life.

Paranoid? NO! Common sense safety awareness.....huge return on investment of time taken!
BTK: You are spot on with everything in your post. I also had work experience with this issue and our company had a similar philosophy. And, while living overseas, would always advised company visitors to do as you advised, and we also gave them business card-size cards with the address of the U.S. Embassy in case they ever had to jump in a taxi real quick for some reason. Still to this day, when we go anywhere on vacation trips, I make sure the Embassy is marked on our travel map, along with the hotel, museums, restaurants and, of course, bars we plan to visit! Cheers!!
Old 01-10-2015, 11:43 AM
Gold member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennisnut View Post
Personally, after watching the news this morning, I would feel safer travelling in Paris than I would in Michigan! Then again, I flew to Turkey in October out of JFK on Turkish Air one month after 9/11. One has to pick their fears and concerns.
What's wrong with Michigan?
Old 01-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

My wife works for DOJ; WE DO NOT TRAVEL OUT OF THE US. Simple as that. There are things she knows that due to her security clearance, she CANNOT tell me, but I do know this, SHE SAYS WE DO NOT TRAVEL OUT OF THE US.

As far as protecting us, in the States, we stay protected.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:34 PM

not out of thought. What is in the mind of the builders of the terror. very disgusting
The Villages Florida
Old 01-10-2015, 02:29 PM
Eternal Member

[QUOTE=kcrazorbackfan;993314

As far as protecting us, in the States, we stay protected.[/QUOTE]

Gotta protect yerself from them chair poachers on The Villages squares!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Gotta protect yerself from them chair poachers on The Villages squares!
Old 01-10-2015, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post

[emoji381][emoji3]
Old 01-10-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage

What am I missing?
This site is managed by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State.
click here
There was a worldwide travel alert released December 19th.
There are alerts and warnings. Warnings are more serious.
Maybe they don't keep the site current.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
What am I missing?

This site is managed by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, U.S. Department of State.

click here

There was a worldwide travel alert released December 19th.

There are alerts and warnings. Warnings are more serious.

Maybe they don't keep the site current.

It is only applicable to illegal aliens. If you are looking for a site or sites for US citizens, there are none. They really don't care about us.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
It is only applicable to illegal aliens. If you are looking for a site or sites for US citizens, there are none. They really don't care about us.
As the Department of State continues to develop information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents, including Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, Country Specific Information, and Emergency and Security Messages, all of which are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at travel.state.gov. Stay up to date by bookmarking our website or downloading our free Smart Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well.

Since I posted earlier today there site has been updated.
There is now a world wide warning. click here
Old 01-10-2015, 09:36 PM
Sage

Tom - I hope you understand I was being facetious.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.