US issues global travel warning after terror attacks

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Tom - I hope you understand I was being facetious.
I'm sorry. I didn't and didn't mean to offend.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
As the Department of State continues to develop information on potential security threats to U.S. citizens overseas, it shares credible threat information through its Consular Information Program documents, including Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, Country Specific Information, and Emergency and Security Messages, all of which are available on the Bureau of Consular Affairs website at travel.state.gov. Stay up to date by bookmarking our website or downloading our free Smart Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well.

Since I posted earlier today there site has been updated.
There is now a world wide warning. click here
The one I posted at 10 AM today. The site is usually always very current.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
The one I posted at 10 AM today. The site is usually always very current.
The very same site. thank-you
Do you know the difference between a warning, an alert and a caution? I can compare an alert and warning defined by the site but unsure if a caution precedes [less of a threat] or succeeds [a greater threat] those two.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
I'm sorry. I didn't and didn't mean to offend.

No offense taken.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
The very same site. thank-you
Do you know the difference between a warning, an alert and a caution? I can compare an alert and warning defined by the site but unsure if a caution precedes [less of a threat] or succeeds [a greater threat] those two.
I can't offer an answer as I really don't know.

We used to operate on the basis if there was any note other than OK we did not allow our people to go there/where ever. It eliminated the usual opinions of the varying players from the equation. And usually customers in those areas completely understand/understood the situation. We made sure we had very competent reps in those areas to represent us in just such times.

Some companies did it by rank of those traveling. I could not in good consience ever expect anyone to go where I was not be allowed to go or would not go.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 AM
Sage

Quote:

We used to operate on the basis if there was any note other than OK we did not allow our people to go there/where ever. It eliminated the usual opinions of the varying players from the equation. And usually customers in those areas completely understand/understood the situation. We made sure we had very competent reps in those areas to represent us in just such times.

Some companies did it by rank of those traveling. I could not in good consience ever expect anyone to go where I was not be allowed to go or would not go.
An issued global warning means no one should travel? or at least understand that it is risky?
have you ever seen that before?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:

An issued global warning means no one should travel? or at least understand that it is risky?
have you ever seen a global warning before?
Old 01-11-2015, 02:39 PM
Eternal Member

Re-read the State Dept. page. It is a Worldwide Caution. It is an UPDATE of one posted in October.

Travel with the normal precautions and most of us are seasoned travellers so we already take precautions.

I am certainly not going to travel to Syria, African countries, or to the Mid-East and that is my own choosing and not based on written cautions.

I know enough not to go into unfriendly environments and sure hope my fellow travellers do, too.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:07 AM
Sage
Default Exactly. Common sense travel precautions & safety awareness.

Quote:
this link is to the federal travel and passports site with the specifics included:

Worldwide Caution

Before retiring (work!) and continue the practice....if the state department cautioned or warned against a particular country we would not allow our people to go there.

General cautions as above are more difficult to deal with as they are so wide and general. Best approach? Do what one MUST do....exercise common sense...be aware of your surroundings....alway/always/always be aware of entrances and exits to or from where one is.

Another tip is when you check into your room in any hotel/motel, be sure you know exactly where the exits are. It only takes a minute and could save your life.

Paranoid? NO! Common sense safety awareness.....huge return on investment of time taken!

Exactly. Common sense travel precautions & safety awareness as you mention.

Ditto for our own country (as what place is totally safe anymore with all of the nuts loose "out & about??").

When our son traveled with his wife to Australia, China.....& also New Zealand, they knew to be "aware". Same for Italy, Great Britain, etc.

I am a bit concerned when he has to fly to Mexico City on business, but he's a big boy at age 44.

We feel safe where we are in New England, however, the next book on our 2 Kindles might change that "perception or illusion of safety".........it's "Day of Wrath" released this past August by William Foerstner..........novel re Islamist terrorists** taking over schools all over OUR COUNTRY.......beginning in Maine, of all places.

A cautionary tale......same as his book on an E.M.P. strike in the U.S......which we are almost finished with. Those doomsday preppers weren't so crazy after all.

**ISIS to be exact.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Re-read the State Dept. page. It is a Worldwide Caution. It is an UPDATE of one posted in October.

Travel with the normal precautions and most of us are seasoned travellers so we already take precautions.

I am certainly not going to travel to Syria, African countries, or to the Mid-East and that is my own choosing and not based on written cautions.

I know enough not to go into unfriendly environments and sure hope my fellow travellers do, too.
It appears that the unfriendly environments are everywhere for people not of certain persuasions. This isn't meant to add fear, I don't think, but wise people are aware of a sea change lately.

I really don't think you are watching CNN, or MSNBC, Sandtrap. I haven't watched Fox News for days and I think CNN and MSNBC tends more toward your views. There is a danger to American citizens from Islamic extremists that wasn't there a month ago.

Trying to be fair, trying to see things, umm p correctly can obscure the facts of the world. Go back to defining the problem. It's your hide and mine and our kids and our grandkids.

Good morning Sandtrap. Keep an open mind to current information. You are a child of the universe. AND I am NOT a fearmonger. I am a realist.

Eric Holder added the disclaimer, "I hope I am not stereotyping anyone" when he said this. Hmmmmph.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:32 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It appears that the unfriendly environments are everywhere for people not of certain persuasions. This isn't meant to add fear, I don't think, but wise people are aware of a sea change lately.

I really don't think you are watching CNN, Sandtrap. I haven't watched Fox News for days and I think CNN tends more toward your views. There is a danger to American citizens from Islamic extremists. It is a more serious than what you are making it.

Trying to be fair, trying to see things, umm p correctly can obscure the facts of the world. Go back to defining the problem. It's your hide and mine and our kids and our grandkids.

Good morning Sandtrap. Keep an open mind. You are a child of the universe.

No news is good news! I'll just keep my head in the sand and not watch any news.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
No news is good news! I'll just keep my head in the sand and not watch any news.

Not a bad idea. Won't be long until we all die anyway.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Not a bad idea. Won't be long until we all die anyway.
That's why I postponed my mid-life crises until I was 55.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.