The use of language in today's world.

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2020, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The use of language in today's world.

I drink pop. I have always drank pop. The kind I prefer is Diet Coke and I have about one and a half a day. I was born in Ohio.

My friend likes to drink Cabinets. She is from Rhode Island.

I am not a Boomer, just got called a Boomer in another thread. I missed the cut off for Boomer. I am either better than a Boomer or older than a Boomer whatever you prefer.

We are a blended bunch here in The Villages. We say things and pronounce things quite differently from each other and I believe that some areas of this wonderful country have a little more "attitude" than my mother would have tolerated.

We were all raised with some things that sound normal to us and funny to others. Some people call that delicious dark brown liquid that many of us start the day with "Cu-aw-fee and I call it Cough-ee.

What do you say or call things that are a little different from other you have met here in The Villages. Just for fun.

Is it brisket or "cheap roast"? at your house??? Is it umbrella or bumbershoot. Do you eat hot dogs or franks?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-08-2020 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 04:29 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,314 Times in 383 Posts

Is it Halal or Kosher?
Old 08-08-2020, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

When I first went to work in Savannah, Georgia, I was introduced to the secretary, who said her name was pie-it. I said pie-it? She said, yes, pie-it, "P A T".

Maybe off topic, but I also made the mistake of offering a woman a piece of chewing gum. She made it very clear to me that southern ladies DO NOT CHEW GUM!!!
Old 08-08-2020, 04:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,021 Times in 5,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Is it Halal or Kosher?
Kosher for us
Old 08-08-2020, 04:56 PM
Sage

From our ruff I can see the crick while I set down eating my hot dog which will have only mustard and sauerkraut.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Cabinets? If you mean Cabernet, it's just a Rhode Island accent. They're saying cabernet. It just sounds like cabinet to you. If you're from New England it'd be 100% clear what she was saying AND you would recognize the accent (though I often confuse RI accent with a South Boston accent - they've very similar).

In college I took two courses: Voice and Articulation, and English Dialects. I learned that my accent didn't -quite- match my upbringing, but was fairly close. It turns out even the little state of Connecticut has several dialects. Mine was more of a West Hartford dialect, even though I grew up closer to the south-central shoreline area in central New Haven County.

We ALL called it soda though. In Boston it was called tonic. In Connecticut, tonic referred exclusively to tonic water, and in Boston, soda referred exclusively to soda water. In Boston outside the tourist areas, a milk shake was milk poured into a glass with chocolate syrup and shaken up. In the tourist areas, they all knew that us outsiders meant a frappe - ice cream, milk, syrup, all blended together in a blender.

We had hotodgs. But if we were in certain seafood and fried food joints, we'd have to be more specific. You'd order either a regular dog, a footlong, or a red-hot.

In certain parts of Connecticut, a lobster roll is hot lobster meat that's been simmering in a crock-pot of melted butter, dumped onto a grilled top-slit side-slanted hot-dog bun, and served with a wooden fork on the side for when the lobster falls out of the bun as you tip it to take a bite out of it.

In other parts of the state it's just cold lobster salad in a hotdog roll.

I call it a pocketbook. Some people call it a purse. For me, a purse is what you put the credit cards, bills, change, and drivers' license in, if you're a woman. If you're man it's called a wallet, not a billfold. A billfold holds ONLY bills, nothing else.

I call it a shopping cart and a shopping carriage alternately. I switch it out depending on which one spits out of my mouth at the moment. Down here apparently it's called a buggy. For me, a buggy is a basinette on wheels. Aka - a baby buggy.

Grace when you say you hear caw-fee vs your own cough-ee - the two sound exactly the same to me. However they are different from the pronunciation of crawfish or craw-dad, which is more of an "ahh" (open-mouthed) than an "ough" (less open mouthed).

Lastly - boomer is what the millennials call anyone over 50. If it makes you feel any better, when I was their age - I called your generation "fossils."
Old 08-08-2020, 05:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Is it Halal or Kosher?
Kosher hotdog - with bacon and cheese. And no - I am not allowed to be buried in the same cemetery as my grandparents. I also have a tattoo, and that is equally as verbotten as mixing beef with dairy, or eating pork.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Where I come from, we call it pop. However, we have always drunk pop, we have not always drank pop. Same with sink, sank, sunk. I guess it depends on whoever taught you junior high grammar. Edit: that should be whomever??

Soda to us was seltzer water and syrup mixed together, with a scoop of ice cream added at the end. If everything was blended together, it was a milkshake.

A rubber band was a gumband, people who stuck their noses in other people's business were nebby, and we tended to redd up if the house was untidy. I'm not sure how to spell redd up. Some people warshed their clothes, but we washed ours. If you enjoyed a beer with someone, you "pumped an arn--Iron City Beer."

I have been as far as Puerto Rico and picked out a person from Pittsburgh. Such a crazy accent, that I don't have because my parents were from elsewhere.

When we lived in New Jersey, our neighbor had to go to the dawktuh when she got sick.

When I went to school in Georgia, we "cracked the window" and "pulled the door to." My friend the elementary school teacher there would threaten to "pull a knot in y'all's tail" if they didn't stop misbehaving.

Fun stuff, Gracie. And I'm pretty sure you knew what cabinets are.

Last edited by CFrance; 08-08-2020 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

I love to eat a good grinder, while others call them subs, or hogies, or heros? Go figure, I always thought superman was a hero, but I guess a grinder can also be a hero?
Old 08-08-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Cabinets? If you mean Cabernet, it's just a Rhode Island accent. They're saying cabernet. It just sounds like cabinet to you. If you're from New England it'd be 100% clear what she was saying AND you would recognize the accent (though I often confuse RI accent with a South Boston accent - they've very similar).

In college I took two courses: Voice and Articulation, and English Dialects. I learned that my accent didn't -quite- match my upbringing, but was fairly close. It turns out even the little state of Connecticut has several dialects. Mine was more of a West Hartford dialect, even though I grew up closer to the south-central shoreline area in central New Haven County.

We ALL called it soda though. In Boston it was called tonic. In Connecticut, tonic referred exclusively to tonic water, and in Boston, soda referred exclusively to soda water. In Boston outside the tourist areas, a milk shake was milk poured into a glass with chocolate syrup and shaken up. In the tourist areas, they all knew that us outsiders meant a frappe - ice cream, milk, syrup, all blended together in a blender.

We had hotodgs. But if we were in certain seafood and fried food joints, we'd have to be more specific. You'd order either a regular dog, a footlong, or a red-hot.

In certain parts of Connecticut, a lobster roll is hot lobster meat that's been simmering in a crock-pot of melted butter, dumped onto a grilled top-slit side-slanted hot-dog bun, and served with a wooden fork on the side for when the lobster falls out of the bun as you tip it to take a bite out of it.

In other parts of the state it's just cold lobster salad in a hotdog roll.

I call it a pocketbook. Some people call it a purse. For me, a purse is what you put the credit cards, bills, change, and drivers' license in, if you're a woman. If you're man it's called a wallet, not a billfold. A billfold holds ONLY bills, nothing else.

I call it a shopping cart and a shopping carriage alternately. I switch it out depending on which one spits out of my mouth at the moment. Down here apparently it's called a buggy. For me, a buggy is a basinette on wheels. Aka - a baby buggy.

Grace when you say you hear caw-fee vs your own cough-ee - the two sound exactly the same to me. However they are different from the pronunciation of crawfish or craw-dad, which is more of an "ahh" (open-mouthed) than an "ough" (less open mouthed).

Lastly - boomer is what the millennials call anyone over 50. If it makes you feel any better, when I was their age - I called your generation "fossils."

Oh yeah. That makes me feel a LOT better. Not.

And it is cabinet. You are from Connecticut. In Rhode island a creamy coffee drink is a cabinet. Cabernet. C'est une vin. Mon cher.

rhode island cabinet drink - Bing
Old 08-08-2020, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Kosher hotdog - with bacon and cheese. And no - I am not allowed to be buried in the same cemetery as my grandparents. I also have a tattoo, and that is equally as verbotten as mixing beef with dairy, or eating pork.
Bacon and cheese on a kosher hotdog? Really?

Anyone know what an egg cream is?
Old 08-08-2020, 06:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I came from a place where we parked our car at Harvard Yard...growing up what some call 'pop' we called tonic

when someone says 'ya'll' to me, I still look around to see if my whole family followed me into the store

I have aunts....never had a 'ant'

and the liquor stores were all referred to as 'packies'....we never made a U-Turn...we "banged a youee"

and roundabout were called rotaries
Old 08-08-2020, 06:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Bacon and cheese on a kosher hotdog? Really?

Anyone know what an egg cream is?
Yup. Hebrew National. When we weren't eating those, it was Hummel's hotdogs. No casing, skinless, all beef. Hummel invented the skinless dog. Those aren't kosher though. The best hotdogs I've ever eaten, anywhere, ever (I've had at least one dog in every state in this country except for Alaska and Hawaii, only because they're the only 2 states I've never been to). Made in New Haven, CT.

My dad used to drink egg creams when he was in college. But that was before I was conceived

On the other hand, we used to go to the 5 and dime for sundries.. and the corner soda fountain at Silver's Pharmacy for ice cream sodas. They had balloons and you would pay 50 cents to pop one. Inside was a slip of paper, and whatever was written on it is what you got for your 50 cents. Sometimes it was just a double-scoop cone. Sometimes it was a banana split. It was always worth at least 50 cents though!

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 08-08-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I came from a place where we parked our car at Harvard Yard...growing up what some call 'pop' we called tonic

when someone says 'ya'll' to me, I still look around to see if my whole family followed me into the store

and the liquor stores were all referred to as 'packies'....we never made a U-Turn...we "banged a youee"

As they used to say in M'head: that's wicket p*i*s*s*ah!

You were over in the Woosta eh-reeyur.

Connecticut by upbringing - but became a full-fledged independent adult in Boston.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post

You are definitely from my neck of the woods.
Closed Thread

Tags
boomer, things, call, villages, pop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.