USPS can make me "Go Postal"

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Default USPS can make me "Go Postal"

I'm sure many can relate but I feel the need to vent somewhere. Monday of this week I needed to return an item to a retailer in Tampa. So, I take it to the closest pack and ship and have it sent via standard UPS ground service. The next morning I receive an email that my return was received and processed and my replacement item would be shipped out before the end of the day. It was, and I received a USPS tracking number in my email. I click the link and find the scheduled delivery date to be today, Friday Dec. 14th. So, I'm thinking wow, 3 days to get from Tampa to The Villages? Maybe it will arrive earlier but, if not, so be it. I check it again this morning and it now shows delivery date tomorrow, the 15th, instead and that it just arrived at the Lady Lake post office. Okay, maybe I can just check with the post office and see if I can come by and pick it up. I look up the number and it just rings, rings, rings until Verizon decides I've tried long enough and just cuts me off. Try again several times with the same results.

I know it's the season and the shipping business must be crazy, but, to me, this is beyond reasonable.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

That is pretty much standard procedure for the Post Office. They just don't answer the phone. And, it has nothing to do with the time of year. But, you probably couldn't pick it up anyway. And, even if you could, do you really want to wait in their long lines? Life is too short. Stay away from the Post Office.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-14-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,846 Times in 2,405 Posts

Hey, be happy you or they got it this time of year? IMO they do pretty good job. I see the local postal truck stuff fill of boxes they have to deliver them after they put up the tons of junk mail. I cut them some slack this time of the year.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

To pick it up in person, I'm guessing someone at the station would have to go in the back and root around looking for it....while other customers are in line up front.

To me, one extra day to have it delivered...wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:01 PM
Gold member

Don't get me started on the post office! The tracking number says my package arrived in Jacksonville on December 10th and was leaving there December 10th for it's next destination. I have no idea where that next destination might be, probably Orlando and no idea when it will get there. Then the trek to The Villages will begin. But that leads to other issues. Our contracted carriers seem to have a system of their own when filling our mailboxes. Sometimes no mail for two days then the third day the box is stuffed. We have had several semi small items shoved into our box, we couldn't get out due to the lip on our side of box, impossible to get out without breaking item. We have given up on complaining.
Not even going to check to see if package arrived today.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:02 PM

I get the cutting some slack. That's kind of what I had in mind when I was surprised to see a 14th delivery date on something shipped on the 11th from less than 100 miles away. And if there were no competition to compare to, it wouldn't seem so unreasonable, perhaps. But I shipped a package that weighed 4+lbs out of a pack and ship, via UPS cheapest possible method (my cost was $12.25 on a box that was 36" tall and 6" square) at about 3pm on a Monday and it arrived and was processed before noon the following day. So, even if the return route took 2, even 3, times as long to make it back to me, I'd consider that cutting some slack. Beyond that, I'm in the "you need to get your act together" category.

I won't be attempting to pick it up, especially if I can't call first to check into it. It's not something life changing, but I realistically expected it yesterday, but really needed by today for an event tomorrow. But because it's a package that won't fit in the box at the postal station, I'm sure I won't get it until late tomorrow, which is too late for my original plans, but I will survive.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage

I agree with most of the comments, except that the Post Office is doing a "good job" and that they have "competition". In my opinion, the Post Office is just wasting our tax dollars and should be shut down. Real companies, working for a profit, like UPS and FEDEX could deliver all of the mail and it wouldn't cost the taxpayers anything. It is a shame about the money, effort, and energy wasted to deliver tons of junk mail that most people just toss in the garbage every day.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I think that some of us need PATIENCE, Grasshopper.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:59 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree with most of the comments, except that the Post Office is doing a "good job" and that they have "competition". In my opinion, the Post Office is just wasting our tax dollars and should be shut down. Real companies, working for a profit, like UPS and FEDEX could deliver all of the mail and it wouldn't cost the taxpayers anything. It is a shame about the money, effort, and energy wasted to deliver tons of junk mail that most people just toss in the garbage every day.
Just had to respond. The USPS does not get tax dollars. When you buy a stamp or mail a package they get income. just like UPS and FedEx. If they didn't have what you describe as junk mail producing income your first class mail would cost as much as a letter in Japan or Germany. Both about 79 cents for 7/10 of an ounce. Advertising works that way, do you think that everybody who read today's paper bought one of everything advertised? Same with advertising mail, you send it to everyone and hope for a 4-5% response. (Which, by the way, is a much better response rate than email ads.)
Old 12-14-2018, 02:10 PM
Sage

We will just have to agree to disagree. There have been many audits that show that the USPS loses tax dollars every year. They deny it because they don't want count the huge cost for retiree pensions and benefits which are real costs for the taxpayers. If delivering junk mail is profitable, then why doesn't UPS and FEDEX deliver it?

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-14-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2018, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,304 Times in 866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
We will just have to agree to disagree. There have been many audits that show that the USPS loses tax dollars every year. They deny it because they don't want count the huge cost for retiree pensions and benefits which are real costs for the taxpayers. If delivering junk mail is profitable, then why doesn't UPS and FEDEX deliver it?
I don't think that is entirely right......the Post Office consistently shows they lose money and asks Congress to allow them to charge fees based on costs and to eliminate some services that cannot be competitive. Congress doesn't give it to them because it would hurt us consumers...yeah right. Congress continues to cover the deficit with our tax money, but the post office has been up front that they are losing money and will continue to do so.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-14-2018, 03:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
I'm sure many can relate but I feel the need to vent somewhere. Monday of this week I needed to return an item to a retailer in Tampa. So, I take it to the closest pack and ship and have it sent via standard UPS ground service. The next morning I receive an email that my return was received and processed and my replacement item would be shipped out before the end of the day. It was, and I received a USPS tracking number in my email. I click the link and find the scheduled delivery date to be today, Friday Dec. 14th. So, I'm thinking wow, 3 days to get from Tampa to The Villages? Maybe it will arrive earlier but, if not, so be it. I check it again this morning and it now shows delivery date tomorrow, the 15th, instead and that it just arrived at the Lady Lake post office. Okay, maybe I can just check with the post office and see if I can come by and pick it up. I look up the number and it just rings, rings, rings until Verizon decides I've tried long enough and just cuts me off. Try again several times with the same results.

I know it's the season and the shipping business must be crazy, but, to me, this is beyond reasonable.
Based on my previous experience your problem may have started when you used a "Pack and Ship' business for a USPS shipment. There is a good possibility your package did not get into the USPS system for at least 24 hours after it was dropped off at a "pack and ship" store.

I find USPS does a very good job, including our frequent international shipping. We always create and pay for our shipping label, domestic or international, online at USPS.com, and then drop off our package(s) at one of the local PO's. It is rare that a package does do arrive by the committed date given when we paid for the postage/shipping label.

It can be frustrating at times trying to get something delivered in the time frame needed. Not trying to deflect criticism from USPS, but sometimes they are just an easy target.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Based on my previous experience your problem may have started when you used a "Pack and Ship' business for a USPS shipment. There is a good possibility your package did not get into the USPS system for at least 24 hours after it was dropped off at a "pack and ship" store.

I find USPS does a very good job, including our frequent international shipping. We always create and pay for our shipping label, domestic or international, online at USPS.com, and then drop off our package(s) at one of the local PO's. It is rare that a package does do arrive by the committed date given when we paid for the postage/shipping label.

It can be frustrating at times trying to get something delivered in the time frame needed. Not trying to deflect criticism from USPS, but sometimes they are just an easy target.

Don
Don, I think you misread my post. I used pack and ship to send my item to Tampa via UPS (not USPS). And, actually, now that I think of it, I went to the UPS Store, not pack and ship. It cost me 12 bucks and change and got there the next day (morning). It was when the store shipped the replacement item back to me via USPS that the issue started. They sent me a tracking number that showed the item was picked up and in the system on the evening of the 11th. The tracking never showed anything new until last night when it said it was in the Lake Mary distribution center. This morning it said it was in the Lady Lake post office and the delivery date was changed from today to tomorrow. Now, just to make it more interesting, it shows the delivery date as today again and the status is out for delivery. So, will be interesting to see if they bother to come out in the slop to actually get it to me today after all.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Don, I think you misread my post. I used pack and ship to send my item to Tampa via UPS (not USPS). And, actually, now that I think of it, I went to the UPS Store, not pack and ship. It cost me 12 bucks and change and got there the next day (morning). It was when the store shipped the replacement item back to me via USPS that the issue started. They sent me a tracking number that showed the item was picked up and in the system on the evening of the 11th. The tracking never showed anything new until last night when it said it was in the Lake Mary distribution center. This morning it said it was in the Lady Lake post office and the delivery date was changed from today to tomorrow. Now, just to make it more interesting, it shows the delivery date as today again and the status is out for delivery. So, will be interesting to see if they bother to come out in the slop to actually get it to me today after all.
I don't know what you ordered, but I have found that you can order almost anything on Amazon.com, because most retailers cannot afford to not sell through Amazon. When you return an item purchased through Amazom, they will send you a prepaid shipping label via email, and they will credit your account even before you return it, so you can reorder immediately.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

I think you're not understanding how shipping and mail service works, at all. The person who sent the package to you via USPS determines HOW it gets sent to you. It sounds like they sent it non-priority ground. Or possibly even book rate, which is slower. What happens is - the company sends the post office a request for a shipping label. This happens electronically. The label is printed at the company, and the post office now has notification that there's a pickup needed. Some time within the next 24 hours, the post office goes to the company *specifically* to pick up packages (this isn't drop-off, it's pickup). You would have received notification that shipping label was printed, the day before.

Then, the post office truck brings the package to his station. Then, his station sends it to the local regional distribution center. Then, the distribution center sends it to the distribution center that includes your state's distribution region in it. Then, that distribution center sends it to the distribution that is assigned to the area where your zip code is located. Then, that distribution center sends it to the post office assigned to your zip code. Then, that post office sorts the mail and sets your package into the bin that gets loaded onto your driver's truck. Then your driver delivers it.

This is how it works, whether it's the company two counties away, two states away, or the guy next door sending you a Christmas card in the mail. If it's book rate or non-priority ground, that is the process. And yes it can take several days.

"First Class Mail" is a very specific designation, which bypasses some of the above. But it would still take a couple of days, and it would cost extra since it's a package, not a letter.

If you wanted it sooner you might have been able to request that the company send it to you priority or 2nd day, but you would've had to pay extra for that.
Closed Thread

Tags
rings, number, post, tampa, usps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.