USPS can make me "Go Postal"

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2018, 04:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I don't think that is entirely right......the Post Office consistently shows they lose money and asks Congress to allow them to charge fees based on costs and to eliminate some services that cannot be competitive. Congress doesn't give it to them because it would hurt us consumers...yeah right. Congress continues to cover the deficit with our tax money, but the post office has been up front that they are losing money and will continue to do so.
Here are some facts about the Postal Service, read carefully, especially the last item.

Top twelve things you should know | Postal Facts - U.S. Postal Service

The USPS is losing money but it still has cash to keep going. Here is an excerpt from a recent RStreet article regarding the Postal Service's financial situation:

"Nevertheless, thus far, the Postal Service has endured. Its sizable cash holdings ensure—at least in the immediate future— that it will not face a liquidity crisis that forces it to close operations, or to be bailed out by taxpayers."

Interesting article, here's a link if you're interested and don't want to throw around unsubstantiated fake news:

https://www.rstreet.org/wp-content/u...ort-No.-54.pdf

I could go on about mandates from congress that impact the USPS.
Old 12-14-2018, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I think you're not understanding how shipping and mail service works, at all. The person who sent the package to you via USPS determines HOW it gets sent to you. It sounds like they sent it non-priority ground. Or possibly even book rate, which is slower. What happens is - the company sends the post office a request for a shipping label. This happens electronically. The label is printed at the company, and the post office now has notification that there's a pickup needed. Some time within the next 24 hours, the post office goes to the company *specifically* to pick up packages (this isn't drop-off, it's pickup). You would have received notification that shipping label was printed, the day before.

Then, the post office truck brings the package to his station. Then, his station sends it to the local regional distribution center. Then, the distribution center sends it to the distribution center that includes your state's distribution region in it. Then, that distribution center sends it to the distribution that is assigned to the area where your zip code is located. Then, that distribution center sends it to the post office assigned to your zip code. Then, that post office sorts the mail and sets your package into the bin that gets loaded onto your driver's truck. Then your driver delivers it.

This is how it works, whether it's the company two counties away, two states away, or the guy next door sending you a Christmas card in the mail. If it's book rate or non-priority ground, that is the process. And yes it can take several days.

"First Class Mail" is a very specific designation, which bypasses some of the above. But it would still take a couple of days, and it would cost extra since it's a package, not a letter.

If you wanted it sooner you might have been able to request that the company send it to you priority or 2nd day, but you would've had to pay extra for that.
If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can get most items in 2 days for no charge. At about $119 per year, it is a great deal.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I think you're not understanding how shipping and mail service works, at all. The person who sent the package to you via USPS determines HOW it gets sent to you. It sounds like they sent it non-priority ground. Or possibly even book rate, which is slower. What happens is - the company sends the post office a request for a shipping label. This happens electronically. The label is printed at the company, and the post office now has notification that there's a pickup needed. Some time within the next 24 hours, the post office goes to the company *specifically* to pick up packages (this isn't drop-off, it's pickup). You would have received notification that shipping label was printed, the day before.

Then, the post office truck brings the package to his station. Then, his station sends it to the local regional distribution center. Then, the distribution center sends it to the distribution center that includes your state's distribution region in it. Then, that distribution center sends it to the distribution that is assigned to the area where your zip code is located. Then, that distribution center sends it to the post office assigned to your zip code. Then, that post office sorts the mail and sets your package into the bin that gets loaded onto your driver's truck. Then your driver delivers it.

This is how it works, whether it's the company two counties away, two states away, or the guy next door sending you a Christmas card in the mail. If it's book rate or non-priority ground, that is the process. And yes it can take several days.

"First Class Mail" is a very specific designation, which bypasses some of the above. But it would still take a couple of days, and it would cost extra since it's a package, not a letter.

If you wanted it sooner you might have been able to request that the company send it to you priority or 2nd day, but you would've had to pay extra for that.
This is good information. It's a complex business. Like any major shipping business, FedEx, USP, etc., they have to have hubs/distribution centers. You may not think it makes sense for your FedEx package to go to Tennessee before it goes to New Jersey but they've proved it does make sense. In 2017 the USPS handled almost 150 billion pieces of mail. A lot of opportunities for something to go wrong. Like your scribbled 3 looked like a 7 in the address. Or the carrier's wife was in the hospital and he took the day off and the sub-carrier missed your hidden mailbox. Or the truck bringing mail to Lady Lake got involved in an accident. All in all I still say they do a good job.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,595 Times in 5,192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
Here are some facts about the Postal Service, read carefully, especially the last item.

The USPS is losing money but it still has cash to keep going. Here is an excerpt from a recent RStreet article regarding the Postal Service's financial situation:

"Nevertheless, thus far, the Postal Service has endured. Its sizable cash holdings ensure—at least in the immediate future— that it will not face a liquidity crisis that forces it to close operations, or to be bailed out by taxpayers."

Interesting article, here's a link if you're interested and don't want to throw around unsubstantiated fake news:

Not sure what your point is, but the report you referred to says that the USPS has 500,000 employees and 600,000 retirees receiving pensions and health benefits. And, the chart on operating expenses shows a loss, and it is not clear if the operating expenses even include funding for the future pensions and health expenses for the 500,000 future retirees. I know that the postal union always wants to define operating expenses as not including the future and current liability for pensions and retiree health expenses. These are real expenses that should be funded as part of their operating costs. When a Government employee retires, he/she may live 30 or 40 years in retirement and very well could receive benefits during retirement that exceed the total income that they earned while they were working.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not sure what your point is, but the report you referred to says that the USPS has 500,000 employees and 600,000 retirees receiving pensions and health benefits. And, the chart on operating expenses shows a loss, and it is not clear if the operating expenses even include funding for the future pensions and health expenses for the 500,000 future retirees. I know that the postal union always wants to define operating expenses as not including the future and current liability for pensions and retiree health expenses. These are real expenses that should be funded as part of their operating costs. When a Government employee retires, he/she may live 30 or 40 years in retirement and very well could receive benefits during retirement that exceed the total income that they earned while they were working.
And that's what life is all about, folks. It is what it is. I am very happy with the Post Office, they do a great job.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-14-2018, 06:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My point was to steer people in the direction of some facts, not the usual "my tax dollars are paying for the post office".

Operating expenses would not include prefunding (if they paid it). It would be an asset. Suppose you prefund my retirement at 1 million - 50k per year. I retire and i die tomorrow. You now have the 1 million. The "expense" would only be each year that I actually collected the retirement check. Saying I may live 30 or 40 years - I hope so!

Of course this is all different with the post office, they have to pay the prefund dollars to the government plan.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiots View Post
Don, I think you misread my post. I used pack and ship to send my item to Tampa via UPS (not USPS). And, actually, now that I think of it, I went to the UPS Store, not pack and ship. It cost me 12 bucks and change and got there the next day (morning). It was when the store shipped the replacement item back to me via USPS that the issue started. They sent me a tracking number that showed the item was picked up and in the system on the evening of the 11th. The tracking never showed anything new until last night when it said it was in the Lake Mary distribution center. This morning it said it was in the Lady Lake post office and the delivery date was changed from today to tomorrow. Now, just to make it more interesting, it shows the delivery date as today again and the status is out for delivery. So, will be interesting to see if they bother to come out in the slop to actually get it to me today after all.
I did mis-read it, sorry about my unhelpful reply ...

I should read twice then reply....

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 12-14-2018, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post

If you read The Hill they project that at the current rate of loss and with Congress continuing it's mandates the tax payers will need to bail out the Post Office. My inference that they were doing that now was incorrect, but I believe it's coming.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-14-2018, 07:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you read The Hill they project that at the current rate of loss and with Congress continuing it's mandates the tax payers will need to bail out the Post Office. My inference that they were doing that now was incorrect, but I believe it's coming.
Just noticed Berks County, I used to live in Berks County.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:38 AM
Veteran member

And who says Verizon cut you off?
Old 12-15-2018, 07:28 AM
Veteran member

Interesting little factoid...which has very little to do with the actual post: FedEx actually carries the USPS priority mail on their aircraft. It is the first stuff off loaded and trucked immediately to the Post Office for delivery that day. At least, this was the case when I retired in 2011.
Aside from that, I'd just like to say all the delivery services have their place in the market, depending on what it is you need. Yes, you pay more for some, but usually you are paying for a "bigger" service. There are the occasional horror stories for each of them, and some people swear by only 1. (like me ...gotta keep those pension checks coming ) Also...this time of year is a nightmare for all the delivery services. Everyone is working hard. Have some fa-la-la and try to cut them a break!!
Closed Thread

Tags
rings, number, post, tampa, usps

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.