USPS "Informed Delivery"

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Default USPS "Informed Delivery"

In case you'd like to know how many sales luncheon meeting invites are coming to your mailbox - LOL - of if you're looking for the arrival of a significant piece of mail, you might be interested in the USPS "Informed Delivery".

You can check to see if your zip and address is eligible and sign up on the link.

June

Informed Delivery™ - Email Notification
Old 06-26-2017, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Thank you.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,600 Times in 5,194 Posts

Well, I just signed up. I hope it works, because it will save me a lot of wasted trips to the mailbox to pick up junk mail. I would rather just opt out of USPS mail altogether, but the government won't allow that.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Well, I just signed up. I hope it works, because it will save me a lot of wasted trips to the mailbox to pick up junk mail. I would rather just opt out of USPS mail altogether, but the government won't allow that.
You should sign up for the services that take you off of "junk" mail lists. The postal service is getting paid by the sender to deliver the mail, not by you. They are just doing what they get paid to do.

Also, keep in mind that advertisers only expect a 3-4% response on a direct mailing. So if they mail to 1000 people, you and 965 other people are tossing the ad.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyBoy View Post
You should sign up for the services that take you off of "junk" mail lists. The postal service is getting paid by the sender to deliver the mail, not by you. They are just doing what they get paid to do.

Also, keep in mind that advertisers only expect a 3-4% response on a direct mailing. So if they mail to 1000 people, you and 965 other people are tossing the ad.
I think you missed my point. I don't care about junk mail . I only go to the mailbox because I may get a legal notification from someone like the IRS or a court. But, I should be able to cancel my USPS account and require legal documents to be delivered to me by another method. The Government will not allow you to cancel the account, because they want a monopoly on legal notifications.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneroses View Post
In case you'd like to know how many sales luncheon meeting invites are coming to your mailbox - LOL - of if you're looking for the arrival of a significant piece of mail, you might be interested in the USPS "Informed Delivery".

You can check to see if your zip and address is eligible and sign up on the link.

June

Thank you for this very helpful post. I signed up and am forever in gratitude of of your thoughtfulness
Old 06-26-2017, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

June

Thanks much. We have had mail put in the neighbors mailboxes, and if they are traveling, might not receive it for a while. At least now we will know if we should have mail and can "call" the sorter on it to check and see if our mail was misfiled.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I think you missed my point. I don't care about junk mail . I only go to the mailbox because I may get a legal notification from someone like the IRS or a court. But, I should be able to cancel my USPS account and require legal documents to be delivered to me by another method. The Government will not allow you to cancel the account, because they want a monopoly on legal notifications.

I'm curious, What is this alternate method of delivering mail?
Old 06-27-2017, 02:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Gilbert View Post
I'm curious, What is this alternate method of delivering mail?
How about FedEx or ups? It seems ridiculous that the Federal Government, via USPS, delivers billions of pieces of junk mail to millions of people, and also uses the same system to deliver official legal documents to people who are required to acknowledge receipt for them. If the IRS or a court sends you a letter through the USPS, then you have been legally notified of the content of that letter. My point is that, I should be able to opt out of USPS, so that anyone who sends me an official document would be notified that they need to deliver the document to me by another method. If I could opt out, then I wouldn't ever need to go to the mailbox and they could remove the mailbox. Have you ever wondered why you don't get junk mail from FedEx or ups? It is because your tax dollars are effectively paying for the delivery of the junk mail. So, you as a taxpayer, have to pay for the delivery of junk mail, and you have go to the mailbox and remove the junk mail, while you check to see if someone has decided to send an official document or notification to you that a court will consider legal notification.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-27-2017 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
How about FedEx or ups? It seems ridiculous that the Federal Government, via USPS, delivers billions of pieces of junk mail to millions of people, and also uses the same system to deliver official legal documents to people who are required to acknowledge receipt for them. If the IRS or a court sends you a letter through the USPS, then you have been legally notified of the content of that letter. My point is that, I should be able to opt out of USPS, so that anyone who sends me an official document would be notified that they need to deliver the document to me by another method. If I could opt out, then I wouldn't ever need to go to the mailbox and they could remove the mailbox. Have you ever wondered why you don't get junk mail from FedEx or ups? It is because your tax dollars are effectively paying for the delivery of the junk mail.
"To the average citizen, limiting the chore of transferring unwanted junk mail from the mailbox to the recycling bin to Monday through Friday would be very welcome news. Yet the average person also doesn’t have much pull in Washington. That’s because—unlike the paper industry and businesses that create all the mail, as well as the union workers who sort and deliver it—normal people don’t hire lobbyists to tell Congress to stop wasting money subsidizing the delivery of unwanted paper to their homes."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carriel...for-junk-mail/
Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:

June

I would like to return to the original theme of this thread, USPS Informed Delivery.

It worked like charm for me. This morning, I received an email containing "images of the letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon." Nothing important today.

Thanks again, June.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I would like to return to the original theme of this thread, USPS Informed Delivery.

It worked like charm for me. This morning, I received an email containing "images of the letter-sized mail that will be arriving soon." Nothing important today.

Thanks again, June.
I have been using it, love it! But just clicked on it to add a house.... the site is down ;(
Old 06-27-2017, 03:42 PM
Sage

Thanks to the op for the info. I signed up yesterday, but have not yet received an email from usps.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:32 PM
Gold member

Thanks OP and others. I registered yesterday. Today my mailbox contained a solicitation from a financial advisor, and a Harbor Freight catalog. No email notification and my USPS on-line account said that nothing has arrived. So, should this take longer, or is it not working right?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

June

Thank you so much for this information. I signed up. It will save me lots of wasted trips.
Closed Thread

Tags
usps, informed, delivery, june, interested

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.