USPS Informed... do you use it?

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2018, 09:03 AM
Default USPS Informed... do you use it?

I signed up for USPS Informed in November. I have it on my computer and iphone as an app.

What is it???

The Post Office will, on your app, show you pictures of each piece of mail that is delivered to your mail box and will also show you a picture of a package delivered to you (at home or mail box). I get my updated posted usually before 9am each day (except Sunday). Because of the time of day I get the notice, I guess it originates out of the Lady Lake main post office versus the contractors who place the mail in our Mail Station box.

As I understand it, Homeland Security, has for sometime had pictures taken of each piece of mail and the USPS makes these pictures (only for your mail or more correctly your address) available to you.

Since we have our mail "on hold" for several weeks the app is very useful to see what we've been receiving so we stay up to date on Christmas Cards, etc. Interestingly, though, are the number of misdirected pieces of mail that we have awaiting us. One is a Christmas Card (assumed to be card) addressed to someone in Lady Lake whose address starts with the same house number as ours, but very different street. The second piece of mail was to someone in our hometown, but it was slapped with a forwarding mail sticker to our Florida address. Both will have to wait until I return so I can send these 2 pieces of mail on their merry way.

Big Brother's watching me, so I get to watch him/her!
Old 12-21-2018, 09:20 AM
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)

I love it. We were away all summer and a neighbor was picking up our mail. There was only one piece I needed her to open to see what it was. There were a couple addressed to a different name at our address but the mailman must have redirected them as we never got them.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

I use it. Sometimes it's nice to see your junk mail before you pick it up and throw it away. It also saves me a few trips to the mailbox when I don't feel like driving over there.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano_hoosier View Post
I signed up for USPS Informed in November. I have it on my computer and iphone as an app. <snip>
The correct name for this free service is Informed Delivery. I have been using it for well over a year and like it.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

I love getting junk mail about my junk mail.....seriously, though, it does sometimes save me a trip to the mailboxes that day.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I use it and love it.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran member

I use and lets me know when to go to the mailbox. Saves me trips
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 AM
Veteran member

I like it
Old 01-18-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
I use and lets me know when to go to the mailbox. Saves me trips
I use it as well for just that reason. Don't know how many times in my life I have gone to pick up mail in anticipation of getting something I was expecting (checks, little orphan annie secret decoder pin, etc.), only to find nothing but junk mail or nothing at all. It's not perfect, however, as you occasionally see the "Mailpieces that we do not have an image for are included in today's mail", which is super informative and helpful.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:41 AM
Veteran member

I used to look at it until I found that the pieces will not necessarily be in your mailbox that day. I have received numerous pieces 2-3 days later, and they even tell you on the app to allow up to a week before reporting missing mail.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:05 AM
Gold member

I use it every day. No unnecessary trips to the mailbox.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-18-2019, 08:24 AM

I use it. I think it's great you can view your mail before you pick it up.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
I used to look at it until I found that the pieces will not necessarily be in your mailbox that day. I have received numerous pieces 2-3 days later, and they even tell you on the app to allow up to a week before reporting missing mail.
I have also noticed this, BUT it never happens (to me) for First Class mail. This issue seems to be limited to mail which paid Bulk Rate, not First Class.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I downloaded the app and tried to sign up for it, but some5hing happened and it said I have to take it to the post office to activate it (?)

That was 6 months ago, and I haven’t made it there yet.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:11 AM

If in The Villages, you have to visit the Lady Lake Post Office (sort of behind Sams Club) as the Post Office branch in the Historic Area does not have the activation device that is needed. I had the same problem regarding activating from my iPhone so ended up going to the nearest PO (Historic area) and they shuttled me off to the Lady Lake PO. After doing my thing at the PO it took about a week before I started seeing mail headed to my PO box.

Tags
mail, box, address, piece, pictures

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.