Vaccine and masks?

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2020, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts
Default Vaccine and masks?

The new vaccine is better than 90% effective according to reports on testing.

Question: Will you still wear a mask after you get the vaccination? I know my answer but I am interested in the opinions of others that have been very adamant regarding the use of masks and their demand that EVERYONE wear masks.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Only so many ways to say yes or no. And all have been said on here 100 times,,,,
Old 11-10-2020, 08:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Only so many ways to say yes or no. And all have been said on here 100 times,,,,

I don't recall any discussions about wearing a mask AFTER the vaccine is available. Just curious as to whether or not folks will still believe that a mask mandate should be enforced. Not to get into a political discussion, the new reign seems to believe in a mask mandate and I was wondering if anyone thinks it is necessary if a vaccine is available.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
I don't recall any discussions about wearing a mask AFTER the vaccine is available. Just curious as to whether or not folks will still believe that a mask mandate should be enforced. Not to get into a political discussion, the new reign seems to believe in a mask mandate and I was wondering if anyone thinks it is necessary if a vaccine is available.
I seriously doubt that there will be any kind of national mask mandate. First it probably violates states rights. Secondly, who and how would it be enforced? Would the police arrest people who are walking down the street without a mask? I don't know that anyone would want to get involved with that.

I will be happy to get rid on my mask once I get the vaccine. The chances of my getting would be 10% or less and the chances of my giving it to someone else would be even less than that.

The idea of a vaccine is to get us back to normal.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:50 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:

Question: Will you still wear a mask after you get the vaccination? I know my answer but I am interested in the opinions of others that have been very adamant regarding the use of masks and their demand that EVERYONE wear masks.
Considering it will take 2 doses of the current Pfizer Vaccine. Distribution may be an issue initially, must be shipped and stored in containers at -100 degrees. A sufficient supply may not be available till mid-2021. We will continue to mask and socially distance. Our current circle of friends both in The Villages and Northest have been virus free by following these protocols. Yes we do go out dining.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Considering it will take 2 doses of the current Pfizer Vaccine. Distribution may be an issue initially, must be shipped and stored in containers at -100 degrees. A sufficient supply may not be available till mid-2021. We will continue to mask and socially distance. Our current circle of friends both in The Villages and Northest have been virus free by following these protocols. Yes we do go out dining.
The question is would you wear your mask AFTER receiving the vaccine? The time that it will take to be distributed is irrelevant. How it is shipped and stored is irrelevant. if it takes two doses you have received the vaccine after you have received your two doses.

So once the vaccine is shipped here and stored at -100 degrees and you have your two doses, whether that is next week, next month or November of 2021, would you continue to wear your mask?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:13 AM

No vaccines an still no mask. Can't get rid of something if your not exposed to it to buildup antibodies
Old 11-10-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

The announcement of a vaccine does not stop the virus. The virus will also not be stopped the day the first vaccinations are given. The virus will only be stopped once a sufficient number of people have developed immunity either through exposure or vaccination.

Given that, I would choose to wear a mask for several months while vaccinations take place. Once several (three, six, nine?) months have passed and the US has had time to develop immunity I will begin to avoid businesses who continue to mandate masks.

Personally, I will never accept wearing masks as a new normal. Masks are only a temporary measure to get us to a vaccine.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettys1 View Post
No vaccines an still no mask. Can't get rid of something if your not exposed to it to buildup antibodies
Good luck with that. Why don't you just try to get into a hospital that has some Covid patients, or find someone that is infected and see if you can catch it.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:

I was surprised at the number of states that have mandatory mask laws, didn't realize we here in Florida are one of the few that do not (along with Missouri and a few of the western states), so I actually expect stricter laws here as the "media" on all channels has been reporting that the new administration will crack down on mask "laws" and such, so my guess would be stronger mask laws everywhere and possibly a nation wide mask law instead of state by state ? I do think it will be a very LONG time until vaccine is widely available, just filling the needs of all the health care field workers will be one challenging job when you think of ALL the people who work in ALL hospitals and clinics, ALL dentist offices, ALL EMT's. police, fire, etc. etc. They will have to be first of course; I think it will be a long time, want groceries ? MASK ON I am thinking... many more months ! Just my thoughts.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

It'll be difficult to determine who has had the vaccine and sees no need to continue wearing a mask from those that merely choose to not wear masks

currently people that don't wear masks are shunned by those that believe masks should be worn by all

I hope to live my life 'mask free' once I have had the vaccine

That said, to avoid those ugly disapproving looks, I'm thinking of having a large capital letter V imprinted in green ink on a few tee shirts so folks will know why I'm no longer wearing a mask

(PM to Mrs. Rhodes), see, I actually did pay attention in class and learned something when we discussed Hawthorn's works
Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I seriously doubt that there will be any kind of national mask mandate. First it probably violates states rights. Secondly, who and how would it be enforced? Would the police arrest people who are walking down the street without a mask? I don't know that anyone would want to get involved with that.

I will be happy to get rid on my mask once I get the vaccine. The chances of my getting would be 10% or less and the chances of my giving it to someone else would be even less than that.

The idea of a vaccine is to get us back to normal.
I'm sure national mask law would be a legal debacle that would go to Supreme court; but not well informed on the nuances of the law concerning national emergencies and the power of the president in those circumstances (possible an executive order WITH a well defined time frame ?). HOW that would be enforced is a challenging question, but we all saw (over and over) a woman with no mask and and sitting completely alone, being dragged by two policemen from high school bleachers where she had been watching her son play ball, so who knows ? Can't imagine doing that all over. Perhaps police would just hand out tickets in the same manner they put tickets on auto windows for expired meters ? A minor violating at most ?
Old 11-10-2020, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

When reading some posts it seems like some believe the mask prevents one from being infected.

We all know the purpose of the mask is to stop the wearer from spreading the virus......right?

There is no doubt there will be a "recommendation" coming about when it would be safe to discontinue wearing masks....after the vaccinations begin in significance.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:12 AM

I think that it will be a process, starting small and enlarging the circle. For example, once we are vaccinated we would probably be comfortable being in a small gathering of vaccinated friends without masks. Larger groups I could trust would come next, such as church. However, I will not feel safe in shopping establishments without a mask until the science community indicates that it is safe. I am most anxious for it to be safe to sing with others again! I don't know when I will fell safe doing that.
Old 11-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

After I get the second dose of the vaccine I will still wear a mask for about two weeks and they not wear a mask unless it is mandatory.
Closed Thread

Tags
masks, vaccine, wear, adamant, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.