Veterans regarding their purchase of a new car rebate

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Unfortunately these discounts are usually nothing more than a promotional discount. I've seen these discounts given on Walk-in Tubs too. I think it's kind of slimy, but on the other hand..........maybe the Vet would not have negotiated hard enough to get the discount which would have been labeled as something else.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I bought the Hyundai Kona in my avatar in April from Hyundai of Central Florida in Clermont. I first went to Jenkins Hyundai in Leesburg only because they were close so I could see a Kona in person, they are brand new and I had not seen one on the streets. I really didn't expect Jenkins to be competitive. I had already read many reviews on 'Yelp' and found the two dealers were vastly different in pricing. I found google and dealerrater website reviews gave most everyone excellent reports, but I found 'Yelp' to be more accurate.

I was right, the Limited version with leather seats and turbo engine and a few other upgrades has a msrp of $26,025. I had already read on Hyundai of Central Florida's website they were selling the same car for $24,700 and they had no dealer fees or dealer options, that was their final price.

Jenkins price straight from the sales manager himself was $27,700, that included tax, tags, dealers fees and options.

I then went to Hyundai of Central Florida in Clermont and met with salesman George Spencer, who I had been emailing for several days with questions about color, different models and prices and he was always quick to respond.

Their website price was $24,700, they had no dealer fees and no dealer options, the floormats were the only added item and it was included in the price where Jenkins added $120 for floormats. We had agreed upon a price for my trade-in and just before I was to sign the contract, he asked 'are you a veteran' I said yes. He then wrote on contract minus $500, and my final price was $24,200, with tax, title and tags my out the door price was $24,400. When I got home I did look up that Hyundai was offering a $500 veterans discount.

George did need a copy of my DD214 and he was going to meet me the next day halfway in Leesburg, but I ended up just emailing him a copy. They were $3300 cheaper out the door than Jenkins. I just checked Hyundai of Central Florida's website and the Limited version is now advertised at $23,999, it's a great deal for a car with so many options and upgrades. I almost went with the lime twist color, but decided white was good.

The Villages Florida
Old 07-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
I have a issue need advise on. Purchased a new car, from a local dealer, i am a veteran, dealer was aware i am a veteran because the van has to be modified to for a military handicap. i was never told about a veterans discount of $1,000.00 that was available. When i became aware of the discount i asked for it. Their explanation, it was included in the discount you were given from MSRP. Is that good enough ? Shouldn't I have been notified of the availability of the veterans discount. When I requested same I explained if granted the military militara discount advertised I would have donated it with the dealer to a local veterans organization .
When you negotiate an out-the-door price with a dealer, he always includes the rebates in his price, but doesn't always tell you what rebates are available. That is why you need to research the rebates before you start to negotiate. It is standard practice for the rebate money to go from the manufacturer to the dealer, not to the customer.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Leased my car two years ago and was aware that I was eligible for Veterans discount. Asked dealer about it and it was shown as military reduction on my paperwork thus lowering price in addition to other discounts I was given.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflynn1 View Post
Recently purchased a new car. I am a veteran. Dealer was aware I am a veteran because car needed to be modified for military handicap. Car also has disabled veteran plates. Negotiated purchase price. Dealer NEVER mentioned veteran discount.
After sale saw add in the showroom, ie: daily sun, that dealer provides $1,000.00 REBATE on all new (type of car) to veterans.
When asked about the rebate dealer stated , it was included in the discount. They would be willing to take the car back rather than give the Military discount in addition TO THE DISCOUNTS NEGOTIATED. The availability of a veterans discount was never disclosed.? Am I being too grumpy about this and did YOU get YOUR veterans discount. ?
Dealers always include all rebates in their negotiated price. It is standard practice for the rebate money to go from the manufacturer to the dealer, not to the customer.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:17 AM
Platinum member

I am sorry I can't help with the ice machine, but would the gel packs that you freeze do? You can buy them at Walgreens, and they come in all different sizes. Get two, and always have one in the freezer. Worked well for my knee.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

First, a veteran's "rebate" is usually from the manufacturer. It would actually be detrimental to the dealer to not offer it, if it is from a manufacturer. Not all manufacturers offer veteran's rebates. If it is, on the other hand, a "discount", then it really doesn't mean anything other than a discount that anyone could get. When getting reimbursed by the manufacturer for the rebate, the dealer must give documentation (a DD214, usually) to the manufacturer. No documentation, no reimbursement.
Second, when comparing prices, always go by the official Monroney sticker when first comparing vehicles. I currently own a Ford Escape Titanium, with a sticker around $36,000. I have seen other Escape Titaniums for as little as $34k and as much as $37k. There are differences is in equipment specs, but they are all Ford Escape Titaniums. Some have Nav systems. Some have automatic parking systems. There are loads of differences.
This is not exclusive to Ford. All manufacturers offer models with different equipment levels within the model name. It can get very confusing, even for those of us with extensive automobile industry experience.
If your 2019 Chevy Thundermobile XL has a Monroney sticker price of $25,305, it will be the same price no matter where you buy it. The ONLY variable will be the transportation charge, which is always shown separately, just above the final sticker price. I am talking about the Monroney sticker price, not the negotiated or advertised price. It is a federal law that has been in existence since the 1970's.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Sage

Rebates are a way for manufacturers to effectively reduce the Monroney sticker price after it has been issued at the beginning of the model year. So, a buyer should always apply any available rebates to the Monroney sticker before negotiating with the dealer. Some dealers will not always volunteer information about available rebates while negotiating with the customer. But, they will always apply the rebates to the sales contract to their advantage.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM
Location: California, Massachusetts, California, Virginia, Morocco, Massachusetts, Buttonwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Rebates are a way for manufacturers to effectively reduce the Monroney sticker price after it has been issued at the beginning of the model year. So, a buyer should always apply any available rebates to the Monroney sticker before negotiating with the dealer. Some dealers will not always volunteer information about available rebates while negotiating with the customer. But, they will always apply the rebates to the sales contract to their advantage.

Kinda sorta. Let me give example. Keep in mind, we are talking about a manufacturer's rebate.

Dealer 1 sells a car and passes the rebate through to the customer.

Dealer 2 tries to keep the rebate for himself. He is now at a $xxxx price disadvantage.

What is irritating is that some dealers will try to manipulate the pricing to appear to be selling for less.

In some states, the mfg's rebate is non-taxable. So the rebate must be disclosed separately, for taxation purposes.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:13 PM

I also just bought from Hyundai of Central Florida and Jenkins would not even come close. They must get a lot of easy sales out of the Villages. I did have to produce a copy of my DD214. Also no dealer fees. Worth the short drive for me. Bought my last one from Deland, but they have now changed owners and do not deal as well.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokey View Post
I also just bought from Hyundai of Central Florida and Jenkins would not even come close. They must get a lot of easy sales out of the Villages. I did have to produce a copy of my DD214. Also no dealer fees. Worth the short drive for me. Bought my last one from Deland, but they have now changed owners and do not deal as well.
I know what you mean about Villagers are easy prey. As I was sitting there waiting for the sales manager to give me his best price (joke), I saw at least 2 older couples walk to the back and sit down at a salesman's desk. It seems if a salesman smiles, is friendly and the place is neat and clean, they must be good. Hyundai of Central Florida is about as modern as dealers go and as you found, they are worth the drive.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

https://www.hyundaicfl.com/
Old 07-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Before going to buy a new car I look at the manufacturer’s website and search for a veterans discount and what is required to get it. In my experience it is deducted from the MSRP of the car. IMO no Dealer is giving you an additional discount unless he is deducting it from the markup over Dealer cost. Buying a car has been mostly a con game that hasn’t changed in decades of car buying.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.