Veterans from Vietnam & earlier

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 06:52 AM

Marines - 9th Engineer Bn, 1968, Viet Nam
Old 12-30-2019, 07:10 AM

I went into the Navy through NAS Jacksonville in February of 1969. I never had to go to Nam but instead flew in P3C anti-submarine aircraft. I do not regret not going into combat. I spent 10 years active and another 15 years in the Reserves.

When I hear the "Thank you for your service" line, I feel somewhat not deserving since I got lucky and did not go to Vietnam. My experience in the Navy was one that I will always cherish. I honor all those that were in "Harms Way" from the war. I have a friend in AZ that lost a leg in the war and is one of the finest men that I have ever met. Thank you for the subject.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:12 AM

I hear it alot.
Usually just nod and smile. Often tempted to say: ..Hey Pal....I am not a hero , we went where we were told to go and did .what we were told to do when we got there.
Jack Thorne
1262nd A.S.U.
US ARMY
Old 12-30-2019, 08:29 AM

agreed
Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGER 2011 View Post
...Often tempted to say: ..Hey Pal....I am not a hero , we went where we were told to go and did .what we were told to do when we got there.
Jack Thorne
1262nd A.S.U.
US ARMY
Isn’t that what most military heroes do?
Old 12-30-2019, 09:00 AM

As a veteran of three combat tours in Vietnam it is always great to hear someone express their gratitude for my service. What I found difficult over the years was how to respond. Most often I just said "Your Welcome". However, a few years ago my wife suggested that I say "Your Worth It". I have found it quite interesting to see the reactions of those who thanked me. I do believe everyone living in this great nation, past and present, are worth my service.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Gold member

Where it really shines, and never seems like a cliche', is when it's said by young people to the veterans on Villages Honor Flight in airports or in Washington, DC. I volunteer an Honor Flight guardian, and it brings tears to my eyes when a young person, or a group of teenagers, comes up to my veteran and one by one shakes his/her hand and express their appreciation. Truly heartwarming. Personally, I'm always a little bit uncomfortable with it when directed toward me, but it's a lot better than it was in the 70's.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM

:bigbow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Sometimes I wondered where were these people when I rotated back to the world. Most of the time lately I wonder if people actually mean it or are just being polite. I probably should not feel this way but I do.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:11 AM

Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
Sometimes I wondered where were these people when I rotated back to the world. Most of the time lately I wonder if people actually mean it or are just being polite. I probably should not feel this way but I do.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:12 AM

I enjoy being thanked for the year I served in Viet Nam. When I was drafted I was mad that I left a good paying job, but felt honor in serving at my country's request. Looking back, I am proud that I served in the Army for a cause my country felt (at the time) was necessary. I have no regrets, but still get emotional when I visit the Viet Nam Memorial and view the names of the young men and women that were KIA or MIA.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:13 AM
Veteran member

Semper Fi. Always happy to hear thank you for your service.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:14 AM
Default Another thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
From the other side, I never served but I am very thankful for those that did, and when I get the chance I will thank them. I am going to watch the replies, in case my thank you is being misinterpreted.
I appreciate the thoughtfulness of the person who says that to me. Another way of saying it is to say "I appreciate your service". Sounds almost the same but it also makes it a bit more personal, a one on one.

"With age comes wisdom if one pays attention to learning it."
Old 12-30-2019, 09:15 AM

Dear Sir,
I was of the Vietnam era and had friends drafted. I hated what you all had to go through, and admired what you did. Myself and many others stood in awe of your service. I felt so useless being home as a girl, while you al suffered terrible things over there. To this day I get teary-eyed when seeing a Vietnam Veteran, or hear stories of the trials you endured. Please know we are not all like this folks you speak of. Thank you with our whole beings for serving our country.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM

I appreciate the comment very much, especially since I served during VietNam and we did not get much respect at the time. As a retired Navy Veteran my reply is always "It was my pleasure to serve"--and I mean it.
Closed Thread

Tags
veterans, intended, disrespect, service”, “thanks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.