Veterans from Vietnam & earlier

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2019, 09:30 AM

I too as of the Vietnam era and so many of my classmates were drafted, killed and came home missing limbs and/or with tremendous physical and mental problems. My heart still hurts for each of them and what they went through. I have much respect for each who served but always more for the Vietnam Veterans. It was such a turbulent time and they were in the middle of all of it. I graduated HS in 1967 and went on with my life , while so many friends who went to Vietnam missed that part. I feel the utmost respect for you and any documentary, book or news item about Vietnam still makes me weep for them. Bless them.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

I was just wondering how anybody would know that you were a veteran if they just met you. Or if they just saw you somewhere did you have a hat or a shirt informing the public that you were a veteran. Just wondering as there are many professions and also have put their lives on the line example Police Department fire department border patrol. There are also many professions that save lives like doctors Etc. I usually don't see many of them wearing their hats and shirts although are some. I know this is not true for all veterans. Is it go as a young person I was in a VFW Post with my father and ask him a question about one of the people there. I asked about the guy who is sitting by himself and not involved with the rest of the fellows talk to you about politics and things. My father told me that the guy who sat there by himself not getting involved was one of the fellows that hit the beach at Normandy. Never talked about it never wanted recognition just did his job. Some of the loudmouths we're the guys who handed out underwear at Fort Dix. This is not true for everybody but this is my personal experience I like to thank everybody that served and did their time
Old 12-30-2019, 11:47 AM

What I think: "I didn't do it for you."

What I usually say: "It was mostly fun, except for those few moments of stark terror."

What I want to say: "Where was this when I came home."
Old 12-30-2019, 01:13 PM

Each & everytime I am fortunate enough to hear, "thank you for your service", I am both humbled AND proud to have served . I served four tours of duty in Southeast Asia (SEA) as a B-52 pilot flying over 260 combat missions over South and North Vietnam.

I had a difficult time knowing what to say when the phrase, "thank you for your service" was first used to show appreciation for our men & women who have served this great country. Most of us never expected to have people recognize us in any special way, because we never felt as if we had done anything special......nothing that any other true American would not have done. We were never concerned about the draft because we all felt that we needed to serve this great country in anyway we could for the honor of living in the good ole' US of A.

For those of you who still make the effort of thanking us for our service, please keep it up and know that we appreciate and cherish your kind thoughts.

I believe that the original question that started this post was, What goes through your mind when a stranger says to you - “thanks for your service” ? I don't think that is the question, the question is, "what goes through your mind AFTER a "fellow American" says thanks for serving your country. It makes this ole' body stand a couple of inches taller and puts a big smile on my face.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:14 PM

I always appreciate it and thank them. What I think about is how things have changed. Thanking the military and law enforcement is a recent phenomena. I can remember getting frowns and harassment 50 years ago just because I had the give away short haircut.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:28 PM

As a Korean War Veteran, I did not endure the negative reaction that Vietnam veterans received when they returned to the U.S. The solders did not start that war or any other war, it's the politicians that are willing to send our young men to fight and die. Many of those same politicians avoided the service by family connections or other various means. One of my proudest days was my trip to Arlington Cemetery on a Honor Flight. Every where we went, people clapped and shook our hands when they learned who we were. Even young school children on field trips stood and applauded as we passed by in wheel chairs. I spent 16 months in Korea, and it " Was an honor to serve".
Old 12-30-2019, 04:24 PM

Always appreciated and always respond with a thank you back. Had a couple negative remarks, but nothing that really bothered me as I was just thankful to be back in a first world country with running water and electricity. I was in the boonies most of the time. Don’t even hold any animosity towards those hundreds of thousands that used the system to not have to serve. Great respect for those that went to jail or Canada because of their objections to the war. Peace.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:49 PM

I really appreciate reading the postings on this. I am female and was married to an Air Force guy who flew RF-4's over North Viet Nam in 1969. Because he was based in up country Thailand I went over as a civilian and got a job teaching children in an Air America school. It was the most influential year of my life........ seeing guys who made it back to the base every day and never knowing if my husband would return after his flight of the day/night. Anytime I see a Vet I always feel that appreciation for what they did. Folks who don't get out of this country and have to be in hardship places/circumstances miss something.......just my opinion. And thanks with a big hug to each of you who did your share to make this a better planet for all of us.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Why would anyone want thanks for their service?
No one ever thanks me for my service.
Why? Because I and most Brits never make a show of it.
Proud of it? You bet!
But. We did our service because that was what was expected of us.
No one thanks my friends who put it all on the line as firefighters. or my cousin who was a policeman.
What is this obsession with all this 'thanks?'
It's rapidly entering the realms of 'Have a nice day,' with in 99.9% of cases, the same insincerity!
JMO.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Why would anyone want thanks for their service?...
Who said anything about the service folks wanting thanks? I think it’s more that other folks want to offer it.

Quote:
...What is this obsession with all this 'thanks?'
It's rapidly entering the realms of 'Have a nice day,' with in 99.9% of cases, the same insincerity!
JMO.
I’m not so sure those offering the ‘thanks’ would agree with you.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,355 Times in 2,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Who said anything about the service folks wanting thanks? I think it’s more that other folks want to offer it.

I’m not so sure those offering the ‘thanks’ would agree with you.
If they don't want it, why advertise it?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Proud of it? You bet!
No one thanks my friends who put it all on the line as firefighters. or my cousin who was a policeman.
JMO.
I don’t know, why is Europe still thanking American servicemen for saving their freedom? Why would they be so grateful for liberty????
Old 12-30-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
For those who were met at the airport, with things thrown at them, spit on, no one would hire you because you were in that war. Its a different respect today.

While at Shades, a little girl about 5 or 6 came running up to me, and asked if she could hug me. Her father smiles, I said yes. She whispered my daddy said nobody thanked you when you came home. I just want to hug you and tell you thanks for protecting my family.

Nam Vets are finally getting some honor for defending their country. Most were drafted, some didn’t come home, some are homeless, and then some who came home, but are dying from effect of the war. Those children whose parents serve are taught what our generation returned to.

You rarely hear a Nam Vet speak about the war. But we still believe it was an honor to serve.

Welcome home Brother
I thought it was rather perfunctory and disingenuous until I read your post. Now I realize the misperception was mine, and there are tears in my eyes. My late husband was a Viet Nam Vet and proud of his service. I was always so proud of him. He, like so many others, was gone too soon. My thanks to you all for your service.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Proud of it? You bet!
JMO.
I totally disagree. I thank every serviceman and woman I see when we go through airports and when I see one with a hat on that shows what branch of the military they were in. I also stop whenever I see a fireman or a police officer and thank them for their service.
These people put their lives on the line every day for us. They deserve our thanks. It’s not like “have a nice day.” Maybe if you said it, it would be, but not when I say it.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 PM

The day I enlisted was also the day that they processed 4000 men thru the facility in Philadelphia, All Services represented as well as those drafted into service. when we were done and being sent to get busses for our new assignments we were told to exit by the rear alleyway.
We walked past the trash,the garbage heaps,the smell on the wet pavement, BECAUSE there was a demonstration of war protestors out front.
I cannot forget that all the protestors went home that night, and that many in groups like mine went off to basic and then off to war. Many did their time and came home, many like three of my classmates died and others came home broken and wounded. So I thank the other vets their service. I am happy to see the newer vets getting their thanks ,and also thank us older vets for their service as well.
Closed Thread

Tags
veterans, intended, disrespect, service”, “thanks

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.