Vietnam vs Florida

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2021, 01:32 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Has the flu EVER stressed our health care system like Covid has? Just wondering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The plague did. The flu did not.

And here's some really nifty news:

COVID-19, all strains from beginning in late 2019 til now, have caused or contributed to the death of more people who died from the BIG Spanish influenza (or complications of the Spanish flu) epidemic of 1918.
So the flu pandemic in 1918 did NOT stress the health care system at the time like Covid has done? I would love to see the documented basis for that assertion, when you compare the medical care available then versus now, and that the flu pandemic of 1918 killed 1 in every 150 people versus Covid which has killed 1 in 500. Here is a link to an article on CNBC that was published today with that data. Now I am going to undercut my own use of the data with this article as a reference, although the numbers cited from the article are consistent with what I have read in the past. Why am I undercutting the reference? The article was written by a Berkeley Lovelace Jr. and is entitled "Covid is officially America’s deadliest pandemic as U.S. fatalities surpass 1918 flu estimates". As you will see, the article title and the facts don't match up.

Reading through the article and not just the headline the author includes: "In 1918, for example, the U.S. population was less than a third of today’s with an estimated 103 million people living in America just before the roaring 1920s. Today, there are nearly 330 million people living in the U.S. That means the 1918 flu killed about 1 in every 150 Americans, compared with 1 in 500 who have died from Covid so far."

A pandemic which, by the author's own data, killed more than 3 times as many people (based upon the population size) was less deadly than Covid? So no, this is not the "deadliest pandemic" but it appears that the headline was more important than the facts. Had the title indicated that more people died than the Spanish flu, that would have been accurate based upon the presented data.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Why? It's not yet been approved, unless you're immunocompromised...
I'm not immune compromised but hasn't the booster been approved for those over 65? Now I'm starting to reconsider why my PCP office made an appointment for me.

Last edited by coffeebean; 09-21-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yeah, but most aren't wearing N95 masks...
Let me put it this way.........if it were me who is not able to be vaccinated, you can bet I would be wearing an N95 mask when out and about in public. I guess not everyone who is not able to be vaccinated for medical reasons feels the need to protect themselves with a protective mask, so that is on them.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heims01 View Post
Hopefully people that near death would get vaccinated. The problem is healthy people get Covid, give it to other people, and move on. This should be a PUBLIC HEALTH issue and not a political issue. Get the shot unless a real doctor says you shouldn't and let government pay that doctor for that opinion.
But the science shows that vaccinated carry similar viral loads to the non vaccinated. Worry about yourself.
Old 09-21-2021, 01:55 PM

Study now shows that 50% of "Hospitalized" covid cases are actually mis identified. 50% of the number being put out are patients, many asymptomatic, who are in the hospital for something different (ie appendix).
Old 09-21-2021, 02:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The plague did. The flu did not.

And here's some really nifty news:

COVID-19, all strains from beginning in late 2019 til now, have caused or contributed to the death of more people who died from the BIG Spanish influenza (or complications of the Spanish flu) epidemic of 1918.

By "contributed to" and "complications of" I mean - people who would have lived longer, with a reasonable quality of life, but because of the illness, developed or exacerbated pre-existing medical conditions such that they ended up dead anyway.

So being 30 pounds overweight wouldn't have killed them, 20 years later. But being 30 pounds overweight AND having COVID-19, was the one-two punch that got them.

Having asthma wouldn't have killed them. But the combination of having asthma and getting COVID put them into a perpetual asthma attack that they were unable to get out of, and they died.

Pre-existing conditions are not usually deadly in and of themselves. But combined with a flu or virus, can be deadly. They would NOT have died, if they had NOT contracted the flu or virus. The virus isn't the actual thing that killed them. But it was the trigger, the thing that caused "death" to suddenly become a eventual result.
This is so very true. Why is it that there are people who continually question and debate the number of deaths from or with Covid? I have said all along that people can live a long and happy life with a comorbidity while being treated with medication. Give them Covid along with the same comorbidity and that could very well cause their demise. Did they die of Covid or with Covid? Dying "with" Covid in that case should add to the total number of Covid deaths, IMHO.

Another example.......dying in a car accident that was not survivable while being positive for Covid should not add to the Covid death numbers. Again, my opinion.
Old 09-21-2021, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
I can't believe that the moderator is continuing to allow this liberal political post. I guess only conservative posts get banned.
I think you mean "thread", not post. A thread is the entire discussion. A post is a single response in the thread.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
I'm not immune compromised but hasn't the booster been approved for those over 65? Now I'm starting to reconsider why my PCP office made an appointment for me.
I may be cancelling my appointment for the booster. I'm waiting to hear from my PCP.
Old 09-21-2021, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,272 Times in 4,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Study now shows that 50% of "Hospitalized" covid cases are actually mis identified. 50% of the number being put out are patients, many asymptomatic, who are in the hospital for something different (ie appendix).
The press reporting something incorrectly? NO WAY!

-Tom Petty
Old 09-21-2021, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
This is so very true. Why is it that there are people who continually question and debate the number of deaths from or with Covid? I have said all along that people can live a long and happy life with a comorbidity while being treated with medication. Give them Covid along with the same comorbidity and that could very well cause their demise. Did they die of Covid or with Covid? Dying "with" Covid in that case should add to the total number of Covid deaths, IMHO.
Most are talking about things like an MI, or hospice patients, who were sent there to die...

And those have already added to the total # of Covid deaths...

Quote:
Another example.......dying in a car accident that was not survivable while being positive for Covid should not add to the Covid death numbers. Again, my opinion.
But they do...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-24-2021, 07:37 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
You know this how?
Because the Press Secretary, Jen Psaki, admitted so just 2 days ago. It was on the news.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:53 AM
Veteran member

It didn't start out as a political post, but lots of people made it so. I especially loved those who tried to tell us that 51,240 deaths isn't 51,240 DEATHS when you compare it to precentages of something else. Oh, well, best to keep this shut down.

Last edited by Ben Franklin; 09-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Because the Press Secretary, Jen Psaki, admitted so just 2 days ago. It was on the news.
Well, in that case, it must be true...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Franklin View Post
Wow. Throw out some stats and this is what ensued. Amazing. Oh, and the "died with COVID" idea. I love that one. When one wants to deny, just make something up by using anecdotal info. SMH.
So that doesn't fit your world view, eh?
Old 09-26-2021, 08:45 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Well, in that case, it must be true...
She slipped up as she rarely speaks the truth.

Tags
vietnam, enemy, covid, won, number

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.