Virginia journalists murdered while broadcasting.

Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Virginia journalists murdered while broadcasting.

I was shocked by this as I suppose many Villagers were also. My heart goes out to the lovers/friends/co-workers/ etc. of these two very young people.

On a personal note, my brother-in-law Jim took his own life in a rural part of Virginia about ten months ago around November of 2014. Jim had been very active in transcendental meditation in India and Iowa for decades but his mentor died in India about seven years ago and brought Jim back to Northern VA to live with my older brother and Jim's sister Laura. Laura is Jim's brother and my older brother Robert's wife. Jim started unraveling over time not having that anchor and probably had some mental health problems to begin with. He starting hanging out in Virginia gun shows and gun ranges. My older brother kicked him out of their house when he refused to get rid of the guns and was often very distant. He then started suggesting that Laura was an alien. Not the Canadian kind but the ET type.

Bad things went to worse but since he was smart about not telling people that he was a threat to himself or others, my brother and sister-in-law could not get him into a mental health facility under VA law.

He killed himself in a rural area of VA after driving up with many of his belongings which in writings found by the Sheriff's Office he had said he needed to continue his journey. I guess he thought his ghost could use those belongings after he shot himself.

My brother and sister-in-law had been frightened of her brother for quite some time as he had been kicked out of their home three years or so before taking his life and had disappeared from their lives.

I took a trip in May of 2015 to visit my older brother and sister-in-law in northern VA a few months before they were set to move to another DC suburb on August 15, 2015. I suppose worrying about my being a target had been on there mind as that was the first time anyone else in the family had stayed for a few days in their VA home.

I do not know what the mental health situation of the shooter of the two journalists was/is.

I only met Jim at my older brother Robert's wedding in 1992 in the Palo Alto area of CA in the hills above Stanford University.

https://www.nami.org/

Facts About Mental Illness and Violence - Mental Health Reporting - UW School of Social Work
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
Eternal Member

Such a horrible tragedy !!
Old 08-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Such a horrible tragedy !!
It will probably be in the news for quite some time because of how so many of the newscasters can empathize with the two victims. They could see that potentially happening to them.

The media seem to be handling this quite well though IMHO.
Closed Thread

Tags
brother, older, jim, sister-in-law, time, health, virginia, laura, mental, gun, area, india, started, home, northern, years, ago, people, journalists, belongings, kicked, suppose, rural, jims, life

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.