Walgreen's Pharmacy

Closed Thread
Old 06-18-2015, 10:15 AM
Platinum member
Default Walgreen's Pharmacy

We've noticed that script renewals at Walgreens don't always carry forward when we move back and forth between NY and TV. As an example when we leave NY we might have 11 renewals left. We get to FL and they'll fill the script once and it will then show -0- refills remain. One Walgreen's employee said it was due to a lack of reciprocity bet FL and NY but that can't be accurate because then they wouldn't be able to fill even the one out of state script. My doctor commented that Walgreen's like CVS contracts with different companies to run the pharmacies within their stores and that in his opinion dropping refills was more likely a defect in their computer system. Question, has anyone else noticed this shortcoming in Walgreen's when filling script renewals? If so how do you prevent it. Yes I know they'll fax a renewal to your physician when needed but why should that be necessary when you have the required renewals to start with. If it's simply a clerical error by the employee entering info into their computer system, there's no way to fix that but that should be the rare exception I would think.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryoung View Post
We've noticed that script renewals at Walgreens don't always carry forward when we move back and forth between NY and TV. As an example when we leave NY we might have 11 renewals left. We get to FL and they'll fill the script once and it will then show -0- refills remain. One Walgreen's employee said it was due to a lack of reciprocity bet FL and NY but that can't be accurate because then they wouldn't be able to fill even the one out of state script. My doctor commented that Walgreen's like CVS contracts with different companies to run the pharmacies within their stores and that in his opinion dropping refills was more likely a defect in their computer system. Question, has anyone else noticed this shortcoming in Walgreen's when filling script renewals? If so how do you prevent it. Yes I know they'll fax a renewal to your physician when needed but why should that be necessary when you have the required renewals to start with. If it's simply a clerical error by the employee entering info into their computer system, there's no way to fix that but that should be the rare exception I would think.
Yes. I had to have the pharmacist actually make a phone call to the other pharmacy to get the number of refills. This isn't the only shortcoming I've notice of Walgreen's locally especially the one at Colony. My doctor will send over a prescription electronically at 1:00 p.m. I'll call at 3:30 to see if it is ready. No, not ready will get it ready in one hour. I don't hear from them, wait 3 hours then receive automated phone call that there is a hold up they are faxing my doctor. I call again they are faxing him to try to get a 90 day prescription instead of the 30 day the doc wrote the prescription for. I tell them don't do that he wants me to only have 30 days to try the med out. Ok, will get ready in one hour. No phone call. Call the next morning. Prescription still not ready, will get it ready. In two hours I receive an e-mail there is a hold up. Go to pharmacy in drive-up and have to wait for them to get it ready. This happens often and I'm getting really tired of it.
Old 06-18-2015, 10:38 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,306 Times in 541 Posts

OP, we have the same problem with Target Pharmacy. Somehow all their computers are not synchronized and I suspect the same is with Walgreens.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Nope. Has not happened to me from Orlando, to the Jersey Shore, to The Villages and even Puerto Rico. If it's in the database, they refill it and I designate where I am picking up the prescription. I have heard if you are a "narcotic" / controlled substance person (Morphine, Xanax, etc), your Dr. has to call it in again to the receiving pharmacy. Walgreens is outstanding...no other pharmacy like them!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 AM
Platinum member

If narcotics were involved that would be both reasonable and logical, but they're not. I also agree that Walgreen's pharmacy services are generally outstanding compared with CVS in particular. My mother insists upon using CVS and every refill there is a new adventure but that's a subject for a new thread.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:28 AM

At Walgreens in Colony getting every refill is an adventure.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck90199 View Post
At Walgreens in Colony getting every refill is an adventure.
Walgreens will mail your prescriptions to you. I also use the Colony Walgreens and only have to Use the store for controlled products. You can order on line or set up auto refill and express pay. Very convenient.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:39 AM
Gold member

Walgreens at Rolling acres and 441 is excellent as are their pharmacists.
In Massachusetts it was explained to me that once you transfer a prescription to new location you can not automatically get it the next time at the original place. Didn't bother me just figured I'd email my doctor with new request when necessary......didn't have to, it was refilled automatically at original place. Never was told that since, switch back and forth all the time. Must have been clerk misinformed.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:45 AM
Sage

We've used Walgreens at Colony since we move here 6 yrs ago and never any problems. We travel back to our home area most every summer and again...have had RX's filled up there when needed with no issues. One time I needed an RX when we were in Ohio, which was filled there, then Colony Walgreens called to say that same RX was ready for pickup so I had 2....which was great as then I had a spare. It was for a prednisone pack that I keep on hand for RA issues.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:23 AM
Veteran member

Since we have been here we have used Walgreens & Walmart. Had trouble with both so we switched to The Medicine Chest in LSL. I think they are the best kept secret in TV.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
Since we have been here we have used Walgreens & Walmart. Had trouble with both so we switched to The Medicine Chest in LSL. I think they are the best kept secret in TV.
As a pharmacist who has worked retail for many years, I believe you tippyclubb. When husband (also a pharmacist) and I get moved down there full-time that is where we will go also. Nothing like personalized service from a good independent pharmacy!

Regarding refills of prescriptions, I have transferred many prescriptions for my customers back and forth between PA and FL. All refills that are left on the prescription are transferred. Now, if it's a controlled drug (like diazepam, xanax, sleep meds, etc - called C III, IV & V) it may only be allowed to be transferred once depending on state laws, etc, so you may lose your refills on those depending on the number of transfers requested. The key word is "may" as different states have different laws. For narcotics, which are a special type of controlled drug (like morphine, oxycodone, etc - called C II) no refills are allowed on these prescriptions and they cannot be called in over the phone. Also, keep in mind these controlled drug prescriptions are only good for 6 months - any refills not used within the 6 month period are voided. All other prescriptions are good for up to one year from the date written on the prescription by the doctor. Hope this explains some of the confusion without being too confusing
Old 06-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Looks like a mail order drug store might be the way to go.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
As a pharmacist who has worked retail for many years, I believe you tippyclubb. When husband (also a pharmacist) and I get moved down there full-time that is where we will go also. Nothing like personalized service from a good independent pharmacy!

Regarding refills of prescriptions, I have transferred many prescriptions for my customers back and forth between PA and FL. All refills that are left on the prescription are transferred. Now, if it's a controlled drug (like diazepam, xanax, sleep meds, etc - called C III, IV & V) it may only be allowed to be transferred once depending on state laws, etc, so you may lose your refills on those depending on the number of transfers requested. The key word is "may" as different states have different laws. For narcotics, which are a special type of controlled drug (like morphine, oxycodone, etc - called C II) no refills are allowed on these prescriptions and they cannot be called in over the phone. Also, keep in mind these controlled drug prescriptions are only good for 6 months - any refills not used within the 6 month period are voided. All other prescriptions are good for up to one year from the date written on the prescription by the doctor. Hope this explains some of the confusion without being too confusing
As a practicing internist in NY, at least for 5 more days, I can address the NY laws. Prescriptions can be transferred with 1 refill, after that a new RX is required out of state. Schedule II narcotics cannot be transferred, require a written RX with a max of 1 month supply, and depending on the state may not be accepted at all from an out of state physician. In NY, benzodiazepines (valium, xanax, ativan, etc) are treated the same as schedule II narcotics, required a written RX in NY and no refills, max 1 month supply. However, benzodiazepine RX written and filled out of state (except Calif.) may have refills, until state law changes there. Welcome to the tip of the government regulation iceberg---it only gets worse from here on in.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippyclubb View Post
I looked at their website for Medicine chest and it looks like they are not open evenings or weekends. Am I seeing this right? That would take lots of adjusting on my part to get my prescriptions filled during just those business hours.
Old 06-21-2015, 12:38 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I looked at their website for Medicine chest and it looks like they are not open evenings or weekends. Am I seeing this right? That would take lots of adjusting on my part to get my prescriptions filled during just those business hours.
Yes, that is correct. I don't find their hours to be a problem. When I call a refill in its ready in a few hours as opposed to 24 hours at Walmart. I have never waited more than a couple minutes to drop off or pick up a prescription.

Tags
walgreens, renewals, script, computer, fill, refills, system, employee, noticed, rare, filling, fix, shortcoming, exception, dropping, opinion, defect, question, physician, simply, renewal, needed, required, start, clerical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.