Walmart-Electric Carts

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2017, 07:12 AM
Default Walmart-Electric Carts

We made the mistake of going to the Walmart on Wedgewood on Sept. 2 - holiday weekend also Soc. Sec. weekend. There we no electric carts - I'm physically disabled and need one to get around the store. Tried walking it, but can only cover about a fourth of it. At the entrance we went in there were people sitting on the bench waiting for one. None at the other entrance.

It was suggested to write or call Walmart and let them know if you've experienced this problem also.

Here is my letter to Corporate, feel free to copy and paste:
On Sept. 2, 2017 we made the mistake of going to store 4262 Wedgewood LN, The Villages, FL. I'm disabled and HAVE to use an electric cart to get around. The past 6 months or so when we go in we've been lucky to get a cart. My husband has had to go out and follow people to their cars to get one. Because we live in a 'Snowbird' area at first I thought it was because of them. But over the summer it's the same problem. Anyway, on Sept. 2nd we went there and as we walked in there were no carts. There was 5 people sitting on the bench waiting for one. Some had been there for 30 minutes. Don't know the situation at the other door, but my husband walked down there - there was none. Gave him the list, and he did the little shopping we had while I sat on the bench waiting for him.
I know there are carts that have been removed because they need repaired, and not replaced. Since this store is shopped heavily by retired 'older' people you'd think they would be equipped with them.
Don't know if the stores manager gets a bonus for getting expenditures down, but this is not how you do it. There are other stores to shop at, but this is convenient - a one stop store, if need be we will change our shopping habits. Than let's see the profit margin.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Did you copy the store manager on you email to Corporate??
BTW his name is Derrick Taylor, its printed on your receipt. Phone number 352-259-0128.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Platinum member

You might also want to post your letter on Social Media

Walmart - Home | Facebook
Suffering from TV envy
Old 09-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

BJ ZINN. I can identify with your situation, I have experienced exactly the same as you did. Great idea writing an informative letter, I'm sure they will make the situation better. Sam's Club same thing.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I doubt if Walmart will change, they got where they are by providing the lowest prices possible and in by doing so, cut the fat. My suggestion is either buy your own mobility scooter, then you can go anywhere and get around without worry. I remember seeing commercials on TV for Hooveround and would advertise they may be covered by insurance or government benefit and starting as low as $450 without insurance. Another option would be try shopping at Target. From what I've seen, their prices are close to that of Walmart and they have a much friendlier policy towards customer service.

https://www.hoveround.com/

The Villages Florida
Old 09-03-2017, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I doubt if Walmart will change, they got where they are by providing the lowest prices possible and in by doing so, cut the fat. My suggestion is either buy your own mobility scooter, then you can go anywhere and get around without worry. I remember seeing commercials on TV for Hooveround and would advertise they may be covered by insurance or government benefit and starting as low as $450 without insurance. Another option would be try shopping at Target. From what I've seen, their prices are close to that of Walmart and they have a much friendlier policy towards customer service.

The Villages Florida
I think you have a good idea with the trade off over to Target but these MegaStores have the financial strength to care for those who need this service. I don't use a handicapped parking spot or electric cart unless absolutely necessary, so once in awhile. I never waited one minute for a cart at Home Depot, Lowes, or Publix. Why Sam's and Walmart with the problem for me and the OP. The OP made the trip to the store which is not easy when you are hurting and couldn't completed the mission....not good.
Old 09-03-2017, 12:39 PM
Platinum member
Question Prices questioned.

Quote:

The Villages Florida
I am wondering where you got the figure of $450 without insurance. The chair you pictured cost over $3,000, new, with the possibility of getting one for half that price on e-bay.

The cheapest scooter Hoveround has is a three wheeled scooter (not chair) for $799. (This is a flimsy 3-wheel scooter.)

You can shop around used scooter places and find some affordable scooters, but you must be concerned about the condition of the electric motors and batteries.

The problem for the original poster in getting a personal scooter is that it is apparently not needed full time, and having one removes the ability to use the golf cart to ride to the store. I, too, have had problems getting a scooter at Wal-Mart.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
I am wondering where you got the figure of $450 without insurance. The chair you pictured cost over $3,000, new, with the possibility of getting one for half that price on e-bay.
Hi Carl, maybe I misread it. It's in the description of the chair pictured on their homepage, the one above. They write:

The MPV5® is one of the most maneuverable power wheelchairs available today. Its unique, Round for a Reason® design enables easy navigation around tight corners and narrow spaces in your home. Hoveround's optional recline seat upgrade offers a higher seat back and adjustable recline providing additional comfort and support. (starting at $450- Not Medicare Reimbursed) When paying by credit card, you have the option of choosing FREE standard shipping or our White Glove Delivery for an additional fee during the check out process.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Platinum member

These stores try their best to assist shoppers. They can't be expected to have 50 electric carts sitting around. Have a seat and wait for one to become available
Old 09-03-2017, 05:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Hi Carl, maybe I misread it. It's in the description of the chair pictured on their homepage, the one above. They write:

The MPV5® is one of the most maneuverable power wheelchairs available today. Its unique, Round for a Reason® design enables easy navigation around tight corners and narrow spaces in your home. Hoveround's optional recline seat upgrade offers a higher seat back and adjustable recline providing additional comfort and support. (starting at $450- Not Medicare Reimbursed) When paying by credit card, you have the option of choosing FREE standard shipping or our White Glove Delivery for an additional fee during the check out process.
Afraid so. The "optional recline seat option upgrade" is $450. The chair is $3,195. Deals may be available through Medicare.

Tags
store, people, carts, waiting, bench

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.