Want To Do Something With Bare Concrete Driveway - Suggestions Please

Closed Thread
Old 05-16-2020, 08:45 AM

We are having our driveway done even as we speak. We are using Florida Deck and putting acrylic texture (cement) (not paint!) which only requires resealing every 3 years. So far, we are extremely pleased with the work and timeliness and service of this company. Not cheap but I think it's going to look great! It will be complete in a few more days. You're welcome to come by and look and if you call them about doing your driveway they will give you 4 pages of addresses of homes they have done. They also don't ask for any money up front. You pay when you are satisfied with the job. Oh, and I have absolutely no connection with this company at all...
Old 05-16-2020, 08:52 AM

I absolutely love our finished flooored garage. No stains and I just blow it out daily. Bright and always clean. That doesn't happen with cement.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,077 Times in 2,744 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Been here 19 years. We like it plain concrete, seen our neighbors spend a fortune on their driveways over the years. It's a driveway, you drive your cars on it, leave it concrete, put the money to upgrades inside your home that you'll enjoy over the years, or into great vacations.
Totally agree. I suppose if $$ was unlimited we would consider upgrading the driveway. But with limited funds, we would get much more pleasure spending our discretionary money on a Caribbean vacation doing some scuba diving and sitting on the beach drinking exotic cocktails with little umbrellas in them : )
Old 05-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

My driveway is fairly steep and when I checked into having it resurfaced or painted I was advised not to do it from a guy who came out for an estimate. He said on a steep driveway bare concrete is better than a painted one for not being slippery when wet.
I did have the garage floor (which was slippery when wet) resurfaced with shark grip.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:56 AM

No matter what you choose to do, it will require maintenance and money. I have owned two houses and put down pavers. I love the look and do not have any slippery issues. First house, I used Pooters, LLC..... big mistake. Stay clear of them. On half the driveway, the border pavers slid off in to the sod because he did not cement the borders properly. That caused all the pavers in the middle to shift leaving huge gaps. Second house came with pavers, not sure who put them down, but they are still beautiful. They need to be sealed about every couple of years, so I am told, so I had that done for $950. Concrete cracks, just normal especially in Fl. If you put down a coating and the concrete cracks... well, now an eyesore. If I were to buy a new house, I would leave my driveway as is!! Invest the money in beautiful landscaping that you and your neighbors can enjoy! Just my opinion.
Old 05-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Thumbs up Love my driveway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just what the title says. We'd like to finally put some sort of surface on our bare concrete driveway, and probably sidewalk and other connected concrete areas. We're not looking for real fancy patterns, but will consider anything that keeps the driveway looking decent, is washable, and is durable.

Thanks.
Earlier this month I had my driveway, sidewalk and garage floor done by American Concrete Staining Inc. I love it! They were informative, prompt, professional, courteous, cleaned up after themselves, and affordable. A good friend recommended them to me, and now I’m recommending them often. Give Pricella a call: 352-308-7213
Old 05-16-2020, 10:00 AM
Veteran member

Depending on which county you are in, you may not be permitted to do anything other than paint your driveway and you must use only approved colors. I’ll keep mine as is.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:04 AM
Default What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
Have had 9 new homes in Florida some with long driveways . I’ve had beautiful landscaping but never spent a dime on the driveway and I or visitors never noticed. FYI my homes were also decorated well but I never spent a dime on garage floor and I or visitors never noticed . What’s The Point
What's the point you ask. I'll tell you what's the point! The point is you're absolutely correct. That's the point! I have a pressure washer. I bought it 5 years ago. Clean the driveway and concrete outside and inside my courtyard every year or so as well as the sides of the house. Looks great and no complaints. Gives me something to do and it makes me feel productive.
Old 05-16-2020, 10:27 AM

Driveways by Jay just gave us an estimate for driveway and garage floor
We saw him working and loved the way he did it
Old 05-16-2020, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Decrative Concrete of Central Florida.....352-620-9561. Talk to Cliff and as many others as you feel necessary I guess. All this stuff is personal. Those that don't do anything try and convince you that their opinion is the only one that counts, those that DIY provide a viable option if $$ is a factor. Our neighborhood has a combination of all of the above (and pavers) and it only matters what you want. It's your driveway and garage and it's your $$. Do what makes you feel good

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-16-2020, 11:18 AM

Aesthetic Concrete Design. 352-308-7410. Amy and Ronica. Will do a design for you or show you pictures of what they have designed. The girls do a great job. You do have to reseal every couple of years. Can do it yourself with a long handle paint roller. buy sealer at Sherwin Williams.
Old 05-16-2020, 11:51 AM
Default Plain Concrete

Since we may decide to move to another TV home, going to just leave driveway concrete. If you theme out your driveway and want to sell it, this may be a deal breaker to a buyer.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I agree with JoMar. We had Cliff Rider at Decorative Concrete use sharkskin paint on our driveway, sidewalk, garage floor, and back patio. It looks great and is non-slip when wet. He applies a sealant every year. Still looks great.

You can power wash concrete every year, and that’s fine; however, we like the end result. Depends on what you like and whether you want/can spend a little money on it.

His number is (352) 427-2589. Disregard the leaves on the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	4CA1BE04-AC14-45D3-A7F1-9E2C31638009.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	84145  
Old 05-16-2020, 01:32 PM

I recently bought a home and it has stamped concrete. It was redone a year ago and its a darker color than it was when I did google earth. So it must of been painted or resealed in a color? Is their any way that can be changed and not costly?
Old 05-16-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just what the title says. We'd like to finally put some sort of surface on our bare concrete driveway, and probably sidewalk and other connected concrete areas. We're not looking for real fancy patterns, but will consider anything that keeps the driveway looking decent, is washable, and is durable.

Thanks.
My personal opinion is to leave it as is and use the money for something else. Pavers are expensive and require maintenance. The other choices are less money and still require maintenance. Just be sure to work thru your ARC before you do anything.
Closed Thread

Tags
concrete, driveway, bare, durable, connected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.