Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2020, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Default War Between The States

Per the moderator's suggestion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Again, the topic is flag etiquette/rules in The Villages.

If you want to have a non-political discussion about the Civil War, feel free to start a new thread.

It's simply amazing at the revisionism going on.

The "state's rights" that keep being referenced, is having the 'right'...to own other human beings.

Or does anyone really believe, that it was just a coincidence that the states trying to secede...were ALL slave-holding states?

If you do, I have this bridge...
Old 02-01-2020, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

With study and reading you will find that the majority of individuals who fought in the "War of Northern Aggression" (Civil War) for both the North and the South did not even own any slaves. So I guess they just fought for those who did. I seriously doubt they did that.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
With study and reading you will find that the majority of individuals who fought in the "War of Northern Aggression" (Civil War) for both the North and the South did not even own any slaves. So I guess they just fought for those who did. I seriously doubt they did that.

Instead of depending on short soundbites you may of heard (very likely from relatives) to obfuscate and downplay slavery, you might want to educate yourself...with a little real research.

I encourage you to read...this entire article.

You may even find one myth...that makes you feel better.

5 Myths About Slavery (click here)

Quote:
2. Myth #2: The South seceded from the Union over the issue of states’ rights, not slavery.

This myth, that the Civil War wasn’t fundamentally a conflict over slavery, would have been a surprise to the original founders of the Confederacy.
In the official declaration of the causes of their secession in December 1860, South Carolina’s delegates cited “an increasing hostility on the part of the non-slaveholding States to the institution of slavery.” According to them, the Northern interference with the return of fugitive slaves was violating their constitutional obligations; they also complained that some states in New England tolerated abolitionist societies and allowed black men to vote.

As James W. Loewen, author of “Lies My Teacher Told Me” and “The Confederate and Neo-Confederate Reader,” wrote in the Washington Post: “In fact, Confederates opposed states’ rights—that is, the right of Northern states not to support slavery.” The idea that the war was somehow not about slavery but about the issue of states’ rights was perpetuated by later generations anxious to redefine their ancestors’ sacrifices as a noble protection of the Southern way of life. At the time, however, Southerners had no problem claiming the protection of slavery as the cause of their break with the Union.

3. Myth #3: Only a small percentage of Southerners owned slaves.

Closely related to Myth #2, the idea that the vast majority of Confederate soldiers were men of modest means rather than large plantation owners is usually used to reinforce the contention that the South wouldn’t have gone to war to protect slavery. The 1860 census shows that in the states that would soon secede from the Union, an average of more than 32 percent of white families owned slaves. Some states had far more slave owners (46 percent in South Carolina, 49 percent in Mississippi) while some had far less (20 percent in Arkansas).

But as Jamelle Bouie and Rebecca Onion point out in Slate, the percentages don’t fully express the extent to which the antebellum South was a slave society, built on a foundation of slavery. Many of those white families who couldn’t afford slaves aspired to, as a symbol of wealth and prosperity. In addition, the essential ideology of white supremacy that served as a rationale for slavery, made it extremely difficult—and terrifying—for white Southerners to imagine life alongside a black majority population that was not in bondage. In this way, many non-slave-owning Confederates went to war to protect not only slavery, but to preserve the foundation of the only way of life they knew.
Old 02-01-2020, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Old 02-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 02-01-2020, 05:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

And those who try to suppress the memories of the past are complicit in that condemnation.
Old 02-01-2020, 05:41 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Such a brush off of a serious time...Not a "recent unpleasantness" but very important era in this country.

Those same feeling have been, and continue to be resurrected.

We recently on this forum, had an ideal example of the rebirth. A troll, whose entire existence revolves around these feeling invaded. The killings in the last few years reflect the growth in these feelings.

Brushing off such an important subject is irresponsible, in my opinion. Not understanding the under current of hate that bubbles is..well, not sure what to call it, but closing our hearts and minds to this kind of thing allows the continuance of this upswing, and insures it will continue.

Call it what you want, but it was and still is based on hatred. Closing your mind because it is not comfortable will not make it go away, but enhance it.
Methinks the phrase "recent unpleasantness," has absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread...but is referencing something else.

I take my hint from the new signature...which is purely political.

Who knows for sure though...as I've been fooled before.

BUT, I am no longer fooled by the depths of the general hatred/anger/prejudices of which you speak, since we watch it play out day after day...in front of our very eyes.

The good news being, that those who sought to destroy the effort "to form a more perfect Union" way back when, got their butts kicked...and decency prevailed.

As usual though, you've pretty much nailed...the rest of it.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Make room for one more

Old 02-01-2020, 07:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Just as a point of history the North wasn't, didn't fight to end slavery, they were fighting to preserve the Union. So don't think at that time the the North was so high and mighty. The south wanted to secede from the Union for more reasons than the "right" to "own" slaves as property. Granted that turned out to be the primary reason in history. It was a really crappy time in America's history, and to say that hatred and bigotry is as prevalent today as it was then is pure garbage and what the far left would like you to believe. How many of you see it in your daily lives instead of what the media spews out on an almost daily basis? Personally I see more good in this world than evil, been that way my whole life......maybe I've been living in a bubble for the past 63yrs,........or just maybe I don't take the media and any talking heads to heart.

OK.....now let's see who will be the first to bring modern politics into the fray.
Steve
Old 02-01-2020, 07:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just as a point of history the North wasn't, didn't fight to end slavery, they were fighting to preserve the Union. So don't think at that time the the North was so high and mighty. The south wanted to secede from the Union for more reasons than the "right" to "own" slaves as property. Granted that turned out to be the primary reason in history. It was a really crappy time in America's history, and to say that hatred and bigotry is as prevalent today as it was then is pure garbage and what the far left would like you to believe. How many of you see it in your daily lives instead of what the media spews out on an almost daily basis? Personally I see more good in this world than evil, been that way my whole life......maybe I've been living in a bubble for the past 63yrs,........or just maybe I don't take the media and any talking heads to heart.

OK.....now let's see who will be the first to bring modern politics into the fray.
Steve
Excellent post Steve.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post

Steve

LOL

YOU are the first to do it.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

American Civil War | The Great Courses

There are some really good materials out there on the American Civil War.

I listened to all of these lectures.

This was available at the Lady Lake Library. Not sure if it is now. They would have many books on this subject though as well as DVDs.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Just a point, but the victor always get to write history!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

LOL

YOU are the first to do it.
OK guilty. I guess "someone" had to start.
Steve
Old 02-01-2020, 08:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Just a point, but the victor always get to write history!
True in some cases. Not in others. There are books and magazine articles as well as scholarly works of all kinds from the Confederate side of looking at issues. And lots of novels. There are said to be 50,000 books alone on the US Civil War.

Popular Civil War Southern Perspective Books
Closed Thread

Tags
states, war, referenced, human, beings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.