War Between The States

Closed Thread
Old 02-02-2020, 03:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
"The Recent Unpleasantness", is an expression used in the 19th century in the southern United States as an idiom to refer to the American Civil War and its aftermath.

Because I am the one who used this idiomatic expression earlier on this thread and it was misunderstood, and my post was deleted, I felt the need to explain it. It is an expression that I read and remembered, not something I made up as light hearted. It also does not refer to any political situations that happened recently. The term "The recent Unpleasantness" was a euphemism used in literature prior to 1900 to refer to the American Civil War. Please feel free to google it.

the recent unpleasantness - Google Search
Yes, I knew that and understood your first post. I suspect others did also.
Old 02-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Here is a good 20 minute video on some of the "reasons" for the Civil War. It is by a high school teacher and history scholar in Buffalo NY by the name of Hip Hughes. If only he were my history teacher I might have paid attention in history class.

YouTube
Bingo!
Thanks!
Steve
Old 02-02-2020, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Most people who do not live in the South do not know this. I will tell about my ancestors experience. They were farmers in Missouri and owned no slaves . Just like all wars it was about the government’s decision, not the decision of the people. So why did southerners fight in the war?
General Order No. 11 (1863 - Wikipedia)
My ancestors were forced from their home, livestock confiscated, homes and crops were burned. Women and children walked from Missouri to Texas to seek refuge from the war with many dying along the way. This is why they fought....To protect their livelihood and families from becoming destitute. This is why some still proudly cling to the Confederate flag; to honor those who suffered and lost everything they had. Yes, we lost the war but just as slavery was not something to be proud of, the treatment of citizens of the South was nothing to be proud of either. As they say, war is Hell and it’s effects are not easily forgotten.
First of all, your link doesn't show/say anything...except to go to THIS link.

General Order No. 11 (1863)

You're welcome.

Secondly, your ancestors wouldn't have had to move, had they not sided with those traitors who wanted to destroy the UNITED States of America...and wanted to maintain the abhorrent practice of slavery.

That info is in my correct link.

Finally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo
Yes, we lost the war but just as slavery was not something to be proud of, the treatment of citizens of the South was nothing to be proud of either.
Trying to equate the two as even being similar (one being a choice...the other NOT)...is beyond the pale.

And as a quick reminder of THE FACTS...

CLICK HERE

Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM
Sage

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to interfere with this thread, but whenever CNM replies with a quote, as in #33, I cannot read the quote. It comes out orange print on the tan background. Especially, when using the tiny font it is simply unreadable. Anyone else have that issue? If not I'll not mention it again.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not trying to interfere with this thread, but whenever CNM replies with a quote, as in #33, I cannot read the quote. It comes out orange print on the tan background. Especially, when using the tiny font it is simply unreadable. Anyone else have that issue? If not I'll not mention it again.
Yes, he has chosen a "skin" that isn't very compatible to the default. But you can press your mouse to the top of his post and drag it down to highlight the whole thing, and then it's completely readable.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Also - perrjojo's ancestors lost the war BECAUSE slavery was not something to be proud of, not despite that fact.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yes, he has chosen a "skin" that isn't very compatible to the default. But you can press your mouse to the top of his post and drag it down to highlight the whole thing, and then it's completely readable.

Actually, I haven't "chosen" any skin, as I have always used the standard one that was here...when I signed up (tan/green).

I do bold and use dark orange on what I quote, but it shows up on a green background for me though.

Dark orange letters on a green background...should be pretty easy on the eyes.

I've always had issues reading quotes, from folks who use red letters...with a green background myself.

I've heard a couple of other people mention that they can't read my posts because of the font being small, so have even started making the normal responses in either font size 2 or 3 (versus the standard '1').

I believe everyone that has had problems reading them, have been using Apple products and one person said they were able to adjust their own device for this site...and the problem went away.

Maybe a mod can chime in...and suggest something?

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 02-02-2020 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:06 PM
Sage

Here is my skin setting.

As shown, I am using "Forum Default."
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Skins.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	82785  
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
First of all, your link doesn't show/say anything...except to go to THIS link.

General Order No. 11 (1863)

You're welcome.

Secondly, your ancestors wouldn't have had to move, had they not sided with those traitors who wanted to destroy the UNITED States of America...and wanted to maintain the abhorrent practice of slavery.

That info is in my correct link.

Finally...

Trying to equate the two as even being similar (one being a choice...the other NOT)...is beyond the pale.

And as a quick reminder of THE FACTS...

CLICK HERE

My ancestors did not side with anyone but merely wanted to farm their land and live in peace. Thank you for educating me on how much smarter you are than I.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Also - perrjojo's ancestors lost the war BECAUSE slavery was not something to be proud of, not despite that fact.
My ancestors did not fight in the war. They were Victims of the war with no real ”skin in the game” other than where the happen to live. Unfortunately any war has many innocent victims.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
My ancestors did not side with anyone but merely wanted to farm their land and live in peace. Thank you for educating me on how much smarter you are than I.
There are some here who think in just black and white.... and before anyone gets their panties hot, that's just a saying.

Quote:
My ancestors did not fight in the war. They were Victims of the war with no real ”skin in the game” other than where the happen to live. Unfortunately any war has many innocent victims.
Again, some just think in black and white, with no middle ground,
you're for or against, you're a racist, bigot or not, I'm right you are wrong..............they just can't see, or don't want to see, learn, the whole picture. This discussion on The Civil War is a perfect example. These are the people you cannot argue or discuss delicate subjects with.
I'm always up for a good discussion but when people show their disrespect, and condescending, demeaning attitude towards others when they think and act "smarter", my way or the highway crap, the civil discussion ends.
Steve

Last edited by anothersteve; 02-02-2020 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
They weren't "victims" they made a choice to back the nation's traitors, just read the redirect in your own link...or the correct one I provided.

And a general comment: It has nothing to do with anyone "acting smarter," it's simply a matter of a thirst for knowledge, having an open mind, a willingness to do research and looking for actual facts...from legitimate sources.

If someone isn't willing to make even that modicum of effort, then it is totally disingenuous and incorrect to ascribe some type of demeaning/condescending/superior attitude toward those...who are willing to do it.

A few of us who try to back up what we're saying with links, are constantly belittled by some who refuse to look at anything that might conflict...with their own strongly held bias.

THAT'S what a debate/discussion is supposed to be about, not just simply offering opinions and then trying to project onto others...what you yourself are doing.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
OK guilty. I guess "someone" had to start.
Steve
Not true.

No one "had" to start bringing politics into it...you chose to do it.

Post #11 of this thread (poke here)

At least you admit to it, so you get a brownie point for that.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
They weren't "victims" they made a choice to back the nation's traitors, just read the redirect in your own link...or the correct one I provided.

And a general comment: It has nothing to do with anyone "acting smarter," it's simply a matter of a thirst for knowledge, having an open mind, a willingness to do research and looking for actual facts...from legitimate sources.

If someone isn't willing to make even that modicum of effort, then it is totally disingenuous and incorrect to ascribe some type of demeaning/condescending/superior attitude toward those...who are willing to do it.

A few of us who try to back up what we're saying with links, are constantly belittled by some who refuse to look at anything that might conflict...with their own strongly held bias.

THAT'S what a debate/discussion is supposed to be about, not just simply offering opinions and then trying to project onto others...what you yourself are doing.

There is and was plenty of discussion, with a few links I might ad, by others, of the facts of,
and the history of The Civil War....FROM IT'S VERY BEGINNINGS . And for anyone with a modicum of knowledge about it no links are or should be necessary if you are smarter than a sixth grader.
Steve
Old 02-02-2020, 11:31 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Not true.

No one "had" to start bringing politics into it...you chose to do it.

Post #11 of this thread (poke here)

At least you admit to it, so you get a brownie point for that.
You seem to be smarter than a sixth grader, where exactly did you think your thread would go?
Closed Thread

Tags
states, war, referenced, human, beings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.