War Between The States

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
True in some cases. Not in others. There are books and magazine articles as well as scholarly works of all kinds from the Confederate side of looking at issues. And lots of novels. There are said to be 50,000 books alone on the US Civil War.

Popular Civil War Southern Perspective Books
Very true. I wish on so many levels people would learn and relearn the history of this great country, the good, the bad, the ugly. I really feel that we are losing all, starting within the educational system, and ending with the same. Very sad!
Steve
Old 02-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

"The Recent Unpleasantness", is an expression used in the 19th century in the southern United States as an idiom to refer to the American Civil War and its aftermath.

Because I am the one who used this idiomatic expression earlier on this thread and it was misunderstood, and my post was deleted, I felt the need to explain it. It is an expression that I read and remembered, not something I made up as light hearted. It also does not refer to any political situations that happened recently. The term "The recent Unpleasantness" was a euphemism used in literature prior to 1900 to refer to the American Civil War. Please feel free to google it.

the recent unpleasantness - Google Search

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-01-2020 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:58 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I thank God the War between the States ended as it did and pray this gifted country never faces another brother against brother "recent unpleasantness," that stole the lives of 620,000 Americans.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Make room for one more

Old 02-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
With study and reading you will find that the majority of individuals who fought in the "War of Northern Aggression" (Civil War) for both the North and the South did not even own any slaves. So I guess they just fought for those who did. I seriously doubt they did that.
Most people who do not live in the South do not know this. I will tell about my ancestors experience. They were farmers in Missouri and owned no slaves . Just like all wars it was about the government’s decision, not the decision of the people. So why did southerners fight in the war?
General Order No. 11 (1863 - Wikipedia)
My ancestors were forced from their home, livestock confiscated, homes and crops were burned. Women and children walked from Missouri to Texas to seek refuge from the war with many dying along the way. This is why they fought....To protect their livelihood and families from becoming destitute. This is why some still proudly cling to the Confederate flag; to honor those who suffered and lost everything they had. Yes, we lost the war but just as slavery was not something to be proud of, the treatment of citizens of the South was nothing to be proud of either. As they say, war is Hell and it’s effects are not easily forgotten.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Per the moderator's suggestion...

It's simply amazing at the revisionism going on.

The "state's rights" that keep being referenced, is having the 'right'...to own other human beings.

Or does anyone really believe, that it was just a coincidence that the states trying to secede...were ALL slave-holding states?

If you do, I have this bridge...
I cant read what the moderator wrote. Background is too light.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Charles Schorn, who received the Congressional medal of honor for capturing the last flag at Appomattox was the buglar, and an 18 year old German immigrant who lived in Pomeroy, Ohio. He was a barber...we laughed because of his last name, Schorn.

He was my children's great great great grandfather. My husbands ancestor.

Charles Schorn (1842-1915) - Find A Grave Memorial

Pomeroy is right smack dab on the Mason Dixon line, the Ohio River. Nobody I know, North or South, and we have a passel of friends who grew up in the South, ever supported slavery. We have got to stop casting blame at people now living and making problems where there are none.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,882 Times in 2,428 Posts

I like when somebody writes book for money and people read it. Some think just cause it's book it's got to be true (just line the on internet) when the truth be known the author in it for the money. The more controversial the more opinionated and the more money. book about the villages good example.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

"Different States had different reasons for joining the 'Confederacy. They were States Rights, Lincoln's election, economic issues, slavery." Quote from Civil War historian John Coski. Actually the State where the war began (South Carolina) was more upset and concerned about States Rights than anything else. They took Ft. Sumter from the US and the rebellion began. Lincoln then called for volunteers to stop the rebellion.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:38 AM
Veteran member

This is a history thread. Don't know what Latinos and modern day hate crimes has to do with the Civil War. I suppose some may say that is where it all started but that is simply not the case.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

I think that is a little over board. If you want to find those kinds of posters or people just get on twitter. I was born and raised and have lived most all my life in the South. My Father taught us to respect all races. I saw a lot of racism while serving my Country in Vietnam. In many cases it came from different races. I was there when both MLK and R. Kennedy were killed. That was a bad time and I felt for all.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
This is a history thread. Don't know what Latinos and modern day hate crimes has to do with the Civil War. I suppose some may say that is where it all started but that is simply not the case.
Point taken, and I agree. I posted what you object to.....without context, you are 100% correct.

I was responding to a poster who referred directly to this forum. I simply objected to the hypocrisy.

Never implied anything except to respond to that post, which is also deleted.

As a student if history, I get it, but learning from history does not stop with specifics, as we see much of the same conditions now as we did them. I do see a relationship between the feelings in the Civil War era and today, a very direct relationship.

Social media simply puts everything in capital letters.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Here is a good 20 minute video on some of the "reasons" for the Civil War. It is by a high school teacher and history scholar in Buffalo NY by the name of Hip Hughes. If only he were my history teacher I might have paid attention in history class.

YouTube
Old 02-02-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Here is a good 20 minute video on some of the "reasons" for the Civil War. It is by a high school teacher and history scholar in Buffalo NY by the name of Hip Hughes. If only he were my history teacher I might have paid attention in history class.

YouTube
Looks like he got this presentation style from Robert Wuhl who had a classroom history show on HBO about 15 years ago. It kept you interested by using pop culture references. Here's a small sample.

Assume the Position 201 Judge Slowly - YouTube
Old 02-02-2020, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

The election of Lincoln is what caused the southern states to secede. Lincoln promised (or threatened, depending on which side you were on) the end to slavery in the country. The South wanted to maintain their freedom to own slaves. The North's primary issue was with the secession. They wanted to keep the states united.

So the two "causes" of the Civil War: the south's demand to keep slavery and the North's rejection of the secession.

The two were intertwined, but there would have been no war, if the south's insistence upon keeping slaves hadn't divided the nation into "north vs. south" in the first place.
Closed Thread

Tags
states, war, referenced, human, beings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.