War Between The States

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2020, 04:08 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

ColdNoMore.
Thank you for this thread and posts. You give me hope that we are still on a good path in America. I still have friends, family and neighbors that hold views that the confederates should have won. I also thank TOTV for allowing this thread to continue. Any topic too sensitive to talk about can never get better.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
Just as a point of history the North wasn't, didn't fight to end slavery, they were fighting to preserve the Union. So don't think at that time the the North was so high and mighty. The south wanted to secede from the Union for more reasons than the "right" to "own" slaves as property. Granted that turned out to be the primary reason in history. It was a really crappy time in America's history, and to say that hatred and bigotry is as prevalent today as it was then is pure garbage and what the far left would like you to believe. How many of you see it in your daily lives instead of what the media spews out on an almost daily basis? Personally I see more good in this world than evil, been that way my whole life......maybe I've been living in a bubble for the past 63yrs,........or just maybe I don't take the media and any talking heads to heart.

OK.....now let's see who will be the first to bring modern politics into the fray.
Steve
Taxes were a major reason.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Cold No More: The default for quotes is a beige background. So dark orange on beige is incredibly difficult to read for those of us who have not selected any other colors for anything and use the forum's default. We don't see a green background. But as I said - we can just highlight the quote and see it clearly, black text on ivory background, just like reading a real piece of paper
Old 02-03-2020, 11:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Cold No More: The default for quotes is a beige background. So dark orange on beige is incredibly difficult to read for those of us who have not selected any other colors for anything and use the forum's default. We don't see a green background. But as I said - we can just highlight the quote and see it clearly, black text on ivory background, just like reading a real piece of paper
Thank you OBB. Apparently, he is using the Old Version of TOTV, which will go away anyway. Orange on Sahara Tan just won't get it and I doubt I will do the extra step of highlighting. Just plain old black text is good enough for most of us.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:14 AM

Can I proclaim my social justice warrior superiority by arguing for a war fought 160 years ago?

Asking for a friend.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishon View Post
Can I proclaim my social justice warrior superiority by arguing for a war fought 160 years ago?

Asking for a friend.
From my point of view you can tell your "friend" that history is probably the most important area to understand and discuss.

I believe that history does teach as do most, but so often a negative historical event was the result of ignoring the past. I think those that posted are not "arguing" but discussing and offering viewpoints of that time in our history.

Disagreeing on events is not a bad thing EVER. Study is never bad.

TO demean those that study history and see it different than you instead of offering a thought out rationale for your opinion is, to me, a symptom of a total lack of understanding of the past, present or future.

TO ignore history and decide it is not to be talked about or studied, or understood by perspective is shallow and a blunt way to kill off debate.

Americans need to understand that that history is not just facts adding up to an agreed-upon narrative but rather a never-ending debate.

Debates like this forum started out are great. Some posters say forget it because it does not fit my idea of what it should be. I say, LISTEN AND LEARN. I spent most of my life in the world of government and those who I considered great men or women were not simply those I agreed with, but those who respected historical implications of the present on the future. If I did not agree, I still listened and learned and probably learned better lessons from those who disagreed with my viewpoint.

Every new idea needs context and knowing history helps provides context.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

As I showed with my attachment, I'm using the "default" and the quotes...has a green background.

You may want to check your own skin options.

Regardless, once I'm forced to use the newer version, which I'm not going to yet as I don't know if I can get back to the original/this version...I'll pick something different.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
From my point of view you can tell your "friend" that history is probably the most important area to understand and discuss.

I believe that history does teach as do most, but so often a negative historical event was the result of ignoring the past. I think those that posted are not "arguing" but discussing and offering viewpoints of that time in our history.

Disagreeing on events is not a bad thing EVER. Study is never bad.

TO demean those that study history and see it different than you instead of offering a thought out rationale for your opinion is, to me, a symptom of a total lack of understanding of the past, present or future.

TO ignore history and decide it is not to be talked about or studied, or understood by perspective is shallow and a blunt way to kill off debate.

Americans need to understand that that history is not just facts adding up to an agreed-upon narrative but rather a never-ending debate.

Debates like this forum started out are great. Some posters say forget it because it does not fit my idea of what it should be. I say, LISTEN AND LEARN. I spent most of my life in the world of government and those who I considered great men or women were not simply those I agreed with, but those who respected historical implications of the present on the future. If I did not agree, I still listened and learned and probably learned better lessons from those who disagreed with my viewpoint.

Every new idea needs context and knowing history helps provides context.

Excellent points.

I could live with just a "lack of understanding" (after all, some folks through no fault of their own...will just never "get it"), it's when a conscious decision is made to purposely refuse to understand and/or acknowledge facts...is where I have a problem.
Closed Thread

Tags
states, war, referenced, human, beings

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.