Washing Machine Odor

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2020, 04:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Is it a Top Loader or Front Loader? A front loader, a few models have a gasket around the door then hold the detergent in the folds of the gasket and there is that smell. Even with the monthly Affresh Pill run through the smell will still be there. Our 4 plus-year-old Samsung front loaders get the cleaning pill on the first of the month and we leave the door slightly cracked open after each wash which allows the washer to dry totally. There is also a small door on the front with a hose that drains something inside and that gets done every first of the month. I also run a dehumidifier in our Laundry Room as a matter of good practice and it helps because we choose to dry a lot of our clothes by just hanging them instead of running everything in the Dryer.

Look on YouTube at Washer smell if the things I wrote for you don't help. The answer is something simple for sure. Good Luck.
The new washer is a front load and only a few months old. I don't know about the old washer. Will try the Affresh first.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:10 AM

Yes the door should be left open , the air needs to circulate the odour yu can smell is stagnant water. In the UK we have. always had this type of washer , and I have never had a smell , the door is always left open. Maybe once a year I run it hot with bleach and washing soda
Old 09-21-2020, 05:21 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
I hope you succeed, I truly do. I shopped till I dropped, I tried Roper, I searched the internet, I called a person I know "back home" who works in a distribution center for only commercial laundry places.... I gave up and bought this so-so Maytag, water "saver", and don't let them tell you this "new" kind of agitator is "soooo much better" than the old style ! NO WAY, this one is the one that really knots up clothing, and there is no FULL tub of water to keep it from beating and tying things in knots. Do anything to keep yours running. And, if you find out where a truly old fashioned one is actually sold to retail customers, help everyone by letting them know where and the price. My Maytag is a little less than one year old and yet I'd try to sell it if I could get an old style Whirlpool, one I could fill with water to the top and soak items all night if needed and the "old style" agitator ! Only one place could offer one very small Hotpoint that was pretty much "traditional", but it was too small to do something like bedding or throw rugs. Maybe some manufacturer will realize there is such a market for traditional ones ??
Here is the Consumer Reports list of traditional top loaders it has tested recently:
Washing Machine Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports

Here is the Consumer Reports list of High Efficiency top loaders it has tried recently:
Washing Machine Ratings & Reviews - Consumer Reports

Here is the Consumer Reports summary of pro and con for various sorts of washing machines:
Best Washing Machine Buying Guide - Consumer Reports

Here are the Consumer Reports reliability ratings for washing machines, based on over 100,000 ratings by members. You mention wanting an old style Whirlpool, but note that Whirlpool has the lowest reliability ratings. For top-loading High Efficiency washing machines, LG has the only Excellent reliability rating:
Brands That Make the Most Reliable Washing Machines - Consumer Reports

Last edited by MandoMan; 09-21-2020 at 05:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:25 AM

Thank you for the information
Old 09-21-2020, 05:27 AM

Years ago My summer job was as a pastry chef and every Sunday at 4:30 am I had to make 200 pecan sticky buns for brunch. Early on Kitchenaid changed the shape of the dough hook and the new one didn’t come close to the bowl sides. I wrote to kitchenaid and asked who designed the new shape, a man or woman? ( figuring back then more women were using the machine). I don’t think I got an answer. . Which leads me to ask, who designed these new washing machines that are inferior IMO to the old top loading ones? My guess: sex doesn’t matter but it was someone who didn’t use a machine regularly. For reasons mentioned the front loading are a nuisance but for someone with a bad back they are also a pain!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:28 AM
Default Consumer Reports article on the moldy front load problem.

"Mold in your washing machine, the mystery and the menace."

April 2020 link to the problem. Consumer Reports.
Mold in Your Washing Machine: Mystery & the Menace - Consumer Reports
Old 09-21-2020, 05:30 AM

Re: Water Saver models top load models. I hate them but that's what we've got so here's solution. Repairman said on loads where I want more water just use the bedding cycle. It'll fill up the tank. Otherwise some clothes don't even get wet. I should bought a Speed Queen. I also use Affresh periodically.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
If it is a front loader the Odor comes from mildew around the door seal. The cure is to leave the door open after washing to let it dry out. You can also wipe the seal with a cloth after you are done to keep it dry. This is a common problem with front loaders search the internet.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 AM
Default Washing machine odor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake57 View Post
If it's a front load machine, there should be a sanitize cycle; run that on hot with about a half a cup of Clorox every couple of months. There is also a filter on the front of the machine that has to be cleaned out of lard that is left over from liquid detergents ( and over measuring as other poster suggested.) This needs to be done every year or two depending on frequency of use. Look for the liquid detergents that have a little HE symbol on the front-stands for high efficiency. I always leave the door ajar and even pull out the little drawer for detergent so they can dry out a little between loads.

Now top load machines, I don't know so much.
I do the same, prop open door and drawer. No odor over 4 years.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:45 AM
Veteran member

Two more things that you have to do to keep your washer clean. First is the rubber gasket around the front door has a very large flexible lip you must get a sponge and preached and clean the inside bottom of the river as it collects water that eventually molds up. The second thing you must do is takeout the detergent drawer from the upper top of the machine occasionally this can either be accomplished by pushing a lever that's inside or possibly two dimples on the left or right side. The two or three little cups that hold softener or separate detergent will have mold on them eventually . clean them in the sink. And of course do a hot cycle again everyone says and neither use some Clorox or affresh wishes three tablets for about five bucks the other thing is don't use too much detergent you don't need it. None of us work on farms all day.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
I had one of these new-fangled front load washers back north. Hated it! Never had the smell. However, I did use the cleaner tablets every 6 months or so...just because. BUT, the thing that really helped was wiping down the rubber gasket that seals the door. It stays wet and that’s where the odor comes from. I got in and under the gasket and wiped it as dry as I could. Try that!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Simple solution, just leave the door ajar.
When is a door not a door? When it's ajar!
Old 09-21-2020, 06:04 AM

It’s a problem with front loaders. Easy fix: there is a magnetic hook available from amazon ( I’m sure Lowe’s or Home Depot) cost was about $15. It goes on front door latch and holds it open a few inches. After using machine I quickly dry the inner rim and inside door, attach the door hook, also open the little softener/bleach door to air dry. Once a month, Tablets to “clean” the tub ( also available from amazon, Lowe’s or Home Depot
Odor gone.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:11 AM

Hello....just leave the door open and let the washing machine dry out before closing the door. We’ve been doing that for12 years and have never had a problem with oder.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

How in the world did reputable manufacturers screw this up so badly?
Closed Thread

Tags
washing, odor, machine, clothes, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.