Washing Machine Odor

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2020, 06:17 AM

Mold around the door gasket,clean it with vinegar,and run a clean cycle with baking soda monthly,leave the door open after every use
Old 09-21-2020, 06:19 AM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
This has nothing to do with the smell of a wash machine but if your old one dies have it repaired. I bought one of the new ones & when it was only one year old the lady across the street was buying a new set of washer & dryer. I ask if I could have her old washer which she gave me. I gave my new one away free just to get rid of it. I will spend hundreds of dollars to have that one fixed if need be before buying another new one. I have a new one up north, (my motor burned on the old one). At that time did not know how bad the new ones were or would have put a new motor in it. I do not swear but I sure came close to it with the new machine.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:22 AM

If you can remember way back when all laundermats use front load washers. Doors left open at night.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 AM

Wash your underwear by hand before you put it in the washing machine.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:25 AM
Default Could this be the issue?

I’ve always done the laundry in my household and the only times I have experienced an odor in the clothes is if I left them wet in the washer to long. I forgot about the wash and hours later open the lid to a foul smell. Never happened when moving to dryer soon after cycle complete. Could be a simple solution for your friend. Good luck
Old 09-21-2020, 06:32 AM

A wash machine repairman suggested that I never close the lid after washing clothing nor should lid be closed when you leave for any length of time. Every washer retains water in the bottom, which can produce a smell - mold etc depending on type of detergent used or fabric softener. Since following his suggestion, have had no issues. Worth a try????
Old 09-21-2020, 06:43 AM

My wife and I are on our second front loading machine. The odor problem is likely from mildew growing around/under the door gasket. Unlike the older machines these front loaders seal tightly when the door is closed and never "dry out" allowing mildew to grow. The solution is simple, leave the door open between uses to allow the drum and gasket to dry. Don't waste your money on "cleaners".
Old 09-21-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Leave the door and the detergent door open after use. Clean by using bleach per washer instructions.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Neighbors came over to sit on lanai and chat on this NICE (fall coming ?) evening. Telling them about question on TOTV, they said go to Bob Vila's website, search wash machine odor, it sure has ALL about it, the problems, how this all started, how many people do NOT measure detergent carefully every time, how people ignore careful cleaning of the all the dispensers for softener, detergent, bleach, etc. Check it out. I did when the neighbors left tonight, sure enough, I think the info there will help anyone solve this very inexpensively. The commercial cleaners are another expensive accessory to buy.... but the Vila website explains how it can all be solved with a bleach only wash, followed by a vinegar only (must be both to get the proper chemical reaction) cycle... it's all there on the web site with much other good info. !
You need to be careful using vinegar. It’s an acidic and can have a detrimental effect on rubber which is the seal around the door. This issue was just discussed in a recent issue of consumer reports. The drain holes in the front door gasket need to be clean or the water will not drain completely. Leaving the door open slightly is the least expensive remedy. If the issue is that the machine is not draining all the water that will cause an odor as well.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Leave the door and the detergent door open after use. Clean by using bleach per washer instructions.
It’s nit just a front loading machine. Mine is nit and I occasionally get the odor. Leaving lid open and a tablet of Affresh now and then works.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:48 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Like many have said, leaving door open is important, but front load machines have a big rubber piece at the front that holds water. I go in it and wipe down all the leftover water under that rubber because it will develop mold. I also wipe down the glass on the door before I leave it open.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 AM

Just bought new Maytag top loader about 4 months ago. I agree. Just leave the lid open after washing so the tub dries. Have no odors so far.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:51 AM

If it’s a front load machine, your friend should leave the door open when not in use. This allows it to dry out. Also, clean the machine occasionally per manufacturers instructions.
Old 09-21-2020, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake57 View Post
If it's a front load machine, there should be a sanitize cycle; run that on hot with about a half a cup of Clorox every couple of months. There is also a filter on the front of the machine that has to be cleaned out of lard that is left over from liquid detergents ( and over measuring as other poster suggested.) This needs to be done every year or two depending on frequency of use. Look for the liquid detergents that have a little HE symbol on the front-stands for high efficiency. I always leave the door ajar and even pull out the little drawer for detergent so they can dry out a little between loads.

Now top load machines, I don't know so much.
Yes if the washer is a front loader it needs to dry out after doing laundry for the day. So when I had the front loader I left the door ajar and also opened the detergent drawer. We never had the odor problem in 5 years.
Old 09-21-2020, 07:01 AM

Hi. I had the same problem. I have a high efficiency machine and a water softening system. Made sure all the gaskets were clean, and left the lid open but the odor persisted. On a whim, I started wiping out the drum between washes with a baby wipe. The odor disappeared and has not returned. It was a very inexpensive fix.
Closed Thread

Tags
washing, odor, machine, clothes, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.