Washing Machine Odor

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2020, 03:13 PM
Smile Mold Smell

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I have a friend whose washing machine developed an odor that contaminated her clothes. So, she bought a new washing machine, but the new one has the same problem. The odor seems to occur even when she uses only hot water or only cold water when washing her clothes. There is no odor anywhere else in the house, or even in the laundry room. Does anyone know what the problem may be?
We have a "water saving front loader" and found that you have to be preventative by keeping the door open, wiping the rubber, and emptying out any extra water from the detergent container after every use.

After using the washer cleaner, you can try the above, but you may not be able to remove the smell once it has taken hold.

Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2020, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,591 Times in 5,188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
After 99 posts of advice, I imagine the OP will advise his lady friend to leave the door open.
You got that right. And, I spent $2.99 extra for an overnight shipment of Affresh, and Amazon lost the order!
Old 09-21-2020, 07:04 PM

I purchased a top loading GE washer a year ago. It has a good agitator and I can set my own water levels or use precise fill. Generous size tub size. I have no problems with it at all.
Old 09-21-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,020 Times in 5,321 Posts

Wife has always done bleached whites last and never had a problem.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 PM

We learned to always leave the door open a lot until drum and door gasket is DRY, never shut it all the way after it’s dry, And we use pod detergent rather than liquid Which you can use too much. Orders solved. If you have Oder now, first use a cleaner or vinegar cycle, clean The big door gasket on the inside flap where soap and mold can accumulate from closing door. And clean filter if yours has one, then follow above and the odors won’t come back. Remember MAIN CAUSE, leave door open, not just pushed to but OPEN.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:43 PM
Location: Hunsville, AL/Pittsford,NY/Bedford, NH/Castle Rock, CO, Lawndale&Ft MacArthur,CA/Alexandria,VA etc

Easy fix always keep the washer door open when not in use. Mom taught me that 45 years ago
Old 09-22-2020, 08:07 AM

We have same problem. We put a small towel in the door so it helps to keep air flowing in there which makes in less stinky. We also put it on a cleaning cycle with no clothes once a month or so. That has helped. I hope this is useful. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2020, 08:14 AM

Front load? These units are known for creating odor from bacteria. Youtube has advice to eliminate odors. Worked for us. Also stop using liquid detergent and switch to Tide with bleach.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum2591@gmail.com View Post
Read the manufacturer’s manual. Should have a clean cycle and tell you what to use to eliminate it. We installed a whole house water purification system and it eliminated the odor.
I don't think it is the purification system that eliminated the odor. We don't have one of those systems and have never had an odor from our front load washer. Use the cleaner tablets/granules and leave the washer door ajar. That should keeps the odor away without having to invest in a purification water system.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Once the Manufacturers realized the error in their design the gasket was redesigned and bingo the issue was solved. May we all wash in Peace? Amen!
Old 09-22-2020, 11:28 AM
Default Washing machine odor

We had the same problem. Not only keep the lid or door open but put WHITE VINEGAR in the bleach dispenser with each load. It will be gone in no time. Works great!!
Old 09-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuthB View Post
I have a front loading HE LG washer. Friends that have the same washer have had severe problems with odor. I have never had that problem. These washers seal tightly with the door closed and if not opened or used daily they build up odors from bacteria thriving in the warm moist environment. The answer is to always leave the door wide open this allows air circulation and helps to allow the interior to dry between loads. Give your washer a deep clean with either an empty load with clorox or with a product designed to clean the machine. Then you can maintain it by keeping the door open (not ajar)
Keeping the door ajar about an inch has worked for me for the past 4 years full time and prior to that, 3 years as a seasonal resident 3 months a year. I've had no odor from the machine.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
How in the world did reputable manufacturers screw this up so badly?
Make 300 dollar washer and sell it for $1000 plus.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:12 AM
Veteran member
Default washer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
I hope you succeed, I truly do. I shopped till I dropped, I tried Roper, I searched the internet, I called a person I know "back home" who works in a distribution center for only commercial laundry places.... I gave up and bought this so-so Maytag, water "saver", and don't let them tell you this "new" kind of agitator is "soooo much better" than the old style ! NO WAY, this one is the one that really knots up clothing, and there is no FULL tub of water to keep it from beating and tying things in knots. Do anything to keep yours running. And, if you find out where a truly old fashioned one is actually sold to retail customers, help everyone by letting them know where and the price. My Maytag is a little less than one year old and yet I'd try to sell it if I could get an old style Whirlpool, one I could fill with water to the top and soak items all night if needed and the "old style" agitator ! Only one place could offer one very small Hotpoint that was pretty much "traditional", but it was too small to do something like bedding or throw rugs.
Maybe some manufacturer will realize there is such a market for traditional ones ??
The manufacturers already know we want the old style full tub and agitator and they would love to sell it to us but they can't. The Environmental Protection Agency has made this the law that we must use these "water saver" and "safety" washers. That is how and who is responsible for this disaster.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
The manufacturers already know we want the old style full tub and agitator and they would love to sell it to us but they can't. The Environmental Protection Agency has made this the law that we must use these "water saver" and "safety" washers. That is how and who is responsible for this disaster.
I guess I'm in the minority because I LOVE my front loader HE washer. It is a Whirlpool and I have had not problem with the washer and have very clean fresh smelling clothes. I also have a dryer which takes less than half the time to dry a full load. The spin cycle on the washer makes the clothes nearly dry when the cycle is complete. LOVE these appliances.

Tags
washing, odor, machine, clothes, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.