Watch out for new Police trap

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 07:20 PM
Default Watch out for new Police trap

The Police are out in force on the Florida Turnpike sitting on the shoulder with their lights flashing. They don't have anyone pulled over. There is no emergency. They are just waiting for some idiot like me to come along and NOT move over to the left lane. Then they get you. $160 fine and points on your record. Drivers beware.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Platinum member

Great!!..
Old 03-22-2015, 07:44 PM
Sage

Move to the other lane when you see flashing lights and you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM
Gold member

It's an expensive lesson, one you won't forget.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:12 PM
Platinum member

I certainly could be wrong, but are you sure that is what they were doing? I've never heard of police or troopers doing that. It seems very dangerous. Sitting on the side of the road with lights flashing can cause an accident. I think there may have been another reason for them being there. Are you saying you were stopped and received $160 ticket? What does the ticket say?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
nkrifats

Maybe someone had been pulled over earlier and he was finishing paper work. The law is clear when lights are flashing and what to do. Not a trap
Old 03-22-2015, 08:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

It's pretty simple. Whether it's a single police vehicle, tow truck, mowers, or what ever on the shoulder, move over. It's the law. If you can't move over, slow down. What really surprises me are the useless that refuse or make no attempt to get out of the way for emergency vehicles
Old 03-22-2015, 08:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Beware! If you don't obey the law you may get a ticket. Move over or slow down...its the law!
Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Isn't that the law? Move to the left lane when approaching emergency vehicles? Doesn't sound like a trap to me. Of course, you've never had the opportunity to be standing next to a car on a car stop and traffic pass so close to you, one misstep and you become a statistic. The law was written to protect Police Officers, Fire Dept. personnel, EMT's, tow truck personnel, FL. Dept. of Transportation, etc., etc., etc. - starting to get the idea?
Old 03-22-2015, 08:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
I certainly could be wrong, but are you sure that is what they were doing? I've never heard of police or troopers doing that. It seems very dangerous. Sitting on the side of the road with lights flashing can cause an accident. I think there may have been another reason for them being there. Are you saying you were stopped and received $160 ticket? What does the ticket say?
Actually, it has been done before. When the law first passed a few years ago the Ft. Lauderdale police set up the same situation as described. Because the law was new, and nobody had ever heard of it, they got over a hundred cars within a short period of time. They "explained" that the only reason they did it was to educate the citizens about the new law. Why they didn't just give out warnings instead of a ticket they didn't explain.
No, I didn't get one of those tickets.

Slaughter on 10th Avenue (and more) -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMo6w...gbuFRTT06nS9pn
Old 03-22-2015, 09:30 PM
Platinum member

I am very pro police, but that's one of the stupidest and dangerous traps I've ever heard of.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,878 Times in 2,424 Posts

I find it difficult sometimes to pull over on fl. Turnpike or the freeway (I like the sound of that FREEway) with bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes. When there no traffic you have to watch for the cars coming 90 MPH in the left lanes.

Warning tickets don't pay court system. The system made up to collect money, what to collect more money enact new law.

Ever notice when out driving they never catch the AH that flys by, cutting you off, weaving from the left to right back to left speeding and passing cars like he's in NASCAR race, on top of that not using his blinker light.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Gold member

It's not like it's a new law. I've know about it since 2002.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:36 PM
Sage

I had always ass-u-me-d that it was illegal for police to use their lights unless it was a true emergency.

What if someone saw the lights and while slowing down lost control and died?
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Isn't that the law? Move to the left lane when approaching emergencyother move overcles? Doesn't sound like a trap to me. Of course, you've never had the opportunity to be standing next to a car on a car stop and traffic pass so close to you, one misstep and you become a statistic. The law was written to protect Police Officers, Fire Dept. personnel, EMT's, tow truck personnel, FL. Dept. of Transportation, etc., etc., etc. - starting to get the idea?
You are right. It's to protect the very people you mentioned above. Florida's law is real simple. Either move over or slow down 20 mph while passing. To the few entitled ones it's too much to ask till they kill someone.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.