Watch out for new Police trap

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
Isn't that the law? Move to the left lane when approaching emergency vehicles? Doesn't sound like a trap to me. Of course, you've never had the opportunity to be standing next to a car on a car stop and traffic pass so close to you, one misstep and you become a statistic. The law was written to protect Police Officers, Fire Dept. personnel, EMT's, tow truck personnel, FL. Dept. of Transportation, etc., etc., etc. - starting to get the idea?
It doesn't sound like a trap to me. My husband was a firefighter for 32 years. This law was written to save lives of emergency personnel.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:23 AM

I doubt it. After he was through with me, he took off quickly only to set up again up ahead.
Old 03-23-2015, 12:27 AM

Scold if it makes you feel righteous. I admitted I was an idiot. I only post this as a heads-up to fellow idiots.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegiance View Post
I had always ass-u-me-d that it was illegal for police to use their lights unless it was a true emergency.

What if someone saw the lights and while slowing down lost control and died?
Why would someone lose control while slowing down (and die, no less)?
Slowing down is quite different from jamming on your brakes.
When you see flashing lights, you have plenty of notice.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

As a few others have mentioned, the law is for drivers to move into the left lane when anyone is stopped by the shoulder, not just official vehicles with flashing lights.

Very often there will be an unmanned troooper's car where there is road construction. Obviously, it's there to remind everyone to slow down.

One law that is terribly abused everywhere, but even more so in this area, I've noted, is the law to keep to the right except to pass.
Why do so many drivers constantly drive the passing lane, regardless of the type of road they're driving???
As an example, I'm not speaking about 441 with heavy traffic in three lanes, however.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:32 AM
Veteran member

I encountered the same situation about 6:30 yesterday morning on I-75. It wasn't daylight yet and traffic was light so I had no problem moving over 1 lane. My problem was that the lights from the 2 patrol cars were so blinding, it took a minute for me to get my vision back after passing them.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmJBrown View Post
Scold if it makes you feel righteous. I admitted I was an idiot. I only post this as a heads-up to fellow idiots.

I read your post and thought you were very humble about it. It was a good reminder for people that you need to move over. So many of the posters on this forum are judgmental and self righteous always looking for opportunities to "scold".
Old 03-23-2015, 07:33 AM
Sage

Wmjbrown, thank you for having the humility to get beaten up for warning us.
That said, I take very seriously moving over and slowing down. Saw too many videos of officers hurt by impact from oncoming cars...and personally saw several out of control vehicles on interstate. It is a good law.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I find it difficult sometimes to pull over on fl. Turnpike or the freeway (I like the sound of that FREEway) with bumper to bumper traffic in all lanes. When there no traffic you have to watch for the cars coming 90 MPH in the left lanes.

Warning tickets don't pay court system. The system made up to collect money, what to collect more money enact new law.

Ever notice when out driving they never catch the AH that flys by, cutting you off, weaving from the left to right back to left speeding and passing cars like he's in NASCAR race, on top of that not using his blinker light.
Sounds like all drivers in TV that you're talking about.

[quote=Allegiance;1033089]I had always ass-u-me-d that it was illegal for police to use their lights unless it was a true emergency.

What if someone saw the lights and while slowing down lost control and died?[/QUOTE]

Died while slowing down? That's a good one.

[QUOTE=shcisamax;1033175]I read your post and thought you were very humble about it. It was a good reminder for people that you need to move over. So many of the posters on this forum are judgmental and self righteous always looking for opportunities to "scold".[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Wmjbrown, thank you for having the humility to get beaten up for warning us.
That said, I take very seriously moving over and slowing down. Saw too many videos of officers hurt by impact from oncoming cars...and personally saw several out of control vehicles on interstate. It is a good law.
The OP opened himself up for scolding and being beaten up by referring to his not knowing the law and getting caught as a "trap". Minor infraction stops can turn into major felony stops. I can't begin to tell you how many felony stops I had that resulted from minor infractions like expired tags, head light/tail light infractions, cross over the center line, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle, etc., etc. Traffic laws are written to protect everyone; know and obey the laws and you won't get caught.

And if you can't tell, I'm very pro police.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,348 Times in 2,389 Posts

The word "trap" brought on the scolding!
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I am Pro Police too - but c'mon you responders that take delight in (so-called) scolding. I have been on ToTV for 2 years prior to moving here, and now past year being a TVr myself. Seems as if there is a % of folks here that LOVE to debate or be holier-than-tho. It's very easy to sit behind that/this keyboard and slam. Of course this is the USA and we all have those rights, but let's be civil. I'm quite certain that behavior as that inhibits some folks from opening themselves with posts that may result in 'scolding'. IMO the OP provided a service, highlighted an event, and opened discussion - only to get scolded by some. OK - now it's your turn to slam me...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:11 AM

This is why Law Enforcement wants you to move over.. http://www.the-chesapeake.com/wp-con...d-cruisers.jpg
Old 03-23-2015, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I am Pro Police too - but c'mon you responders that take delight in (so-called) scolding. I have been on ToTV for 2 years prior to moving here, and now past year being a TVr myself. Seems as if there is a % of folks here that LOVE to debate or be holier-than-tho. It's very easy to sit behind that/this keyboard and slam. Of course this is the USA and we all have those rights, but let's be civil. I'm quite certain that behavior as that inhibits some folks from opening themselves with posts that may result in 'scolding'. IMO the OP provided a service, highlighted an event, and opened discussion - only to get scolded by some. OK - now it's your turn to slam me...
Old 03-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Sage

Many police cars are hit while issuing citation on side of road. If they continue these traps lives will be lost. It's the law of large numbers combined with bad drivers.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WmJBrown View Post
The Police are out in force on the Florida Turnpike sitting on the shoulder with their lights flashing. They don't have anyone pulled over. There is no emergency. They are just waiting for some idiot like me to come along and NOT move over to the left lane. Then they get you. $160 fine and points on your record. Drivers beware.
Thanks for letting us know.

Last edited by Walter123; 03-23-2015 at 11:29 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.