Watching Hurricane Florence -Myrtle Beach webcam

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2018, 04:17 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Our oldest has a home in Southport, NC, 21 miles south of Wilmington. Homes are on or near a barrier island.
There was a mandatory evac Wednesday.
Their home rests on 12 foot stilts.
As of this morning, the WebCams we're not functioning.
No worries, it's only a house.
Nice to see someone who has their priorities in order. As long as they stay safe the house can be replaced. Hoping for the best for them.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Interesting read on one of the web cams used on a live feed -> Old Coast Guard Tower In The Atlantic Is The Unlikely Star Of Hurricane Florence Coverage - The Drive
Old 09-14-2018, 03:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Nice to see someone who has their priorities in order. As long as they stay safe the house can be replaced. Hoping for the best for them.
Thanks, our family has total respect for things that we cannot change. At this point the eye is just north of their house, as I type this.
The storm surge is predicted for 7 to 11 feet. This is a newer built area on the coast, so houses have a better chance. Web cams are up, but as long as the hurricane is stalled you can see very little.
One has to keep a sense of humor, told him I was not a fan of his kitchen, so Florence ( ironically his grandmother's name ) may take care of that.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Another perspective:

A webcam shows violent winds of approaching Hurricane Florence - YouTube
Old 09-14-2018, 06:58 AM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Thanks, our family has total respect for things that we cannot change. At this point the eye is just north of their house, as I type this.
The storm surge is predicted for 7 to 11 feet. This is a newer built area on the coast, so houses have a better chance. Web cams are up, but as long as the hurricane is stalled you can see very little.
One has to keep a sense of humor, told him I was not a fan of his kitchen, so Florence ( ironically his grandmother's name ) may take care of that.
I share that perspective. I have always figured that you can either accept and move on or cry and moan but still be in the same position. My heroes are the family that evacuated the hurricane and went to Disney. Here we are worried about those in the hurricane path and we have friends of ours who are being impacted by the gas explosions in MA. Have to believe there is a reason for everything and deal with it.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:27 AM
Veteran member

Just returned from a week in Charleston, Carolina Beach, Greenville, NC and Savannah. We were looking at colleges with our granddaughter. We stayed right on the beach in Carolina Beach. So sad to see the destruction that is happening to those areas when just 4 days ago they were so beautiful and serene.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Wow, this is a great webcam! And it’s eerily calm and quiet this morning.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:57 PM
fw102807

I can't believe how bad it is and how long it is going to be there. The good thing about Irma is that it went through quickly. God help them.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:35 PM
Gold member

Don't believe everything you read or even see with the media coverage. Unfortunately, because of the media trying to sensationalize everything with such phrases as "Storm of the century" or "Storm of a lifetime" for just about every major storm, people simply don't believe them or when the government tells them to evacuate. I am sure everyone has seen the fake reporting by The Weather Channel yesterday. If not here it is

People Are Cracking Up At This Video Of A Weather Channel Reporter Being A Little Dramatic During Hurricane Florence
Old 09-15-2018, 06:50 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Don't believe everything you read or even see with the media coverage. Unfortunately, because of the media trying to sensationalize everything with such phrases as "Storm of the century" or "Storm of a lifetime" for just about every major storm, people simply don't believe them or when the government tells them to evacuate. I am sure everyone has seen the fake reporting by The Weather Channel yesterday. If not here it is

People Are Cracking Up At This Video Of A Weather Channel Reporter Being A Little Dramatic During Hurricane Florence
That's true but the flooding is in fact very real. The worst part of this hurricane was not the winds but the prolonged rain.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
That's true but the flooding is in fact very real. The worst part of this hurricane was not the winds but the prolonged rain.
Very true and the flooding was predicted for the past week. Almost all of the counties near the coast in NC and SC issued MANDATORY evacuation orders 3 or 4 days before landfall yet you see on TV what has happened up there. Many, many people stayed and now emergency responders have to risk their lives to rescue them. I lived in NC for 26 years. I still own property in both NC and SC. People have become very hardened and skeptical because of the way the media has overblown so many of these events in the past and the people there simply don't believe them. The people there also think the government agencies issuing these evacuation orders are overreacting and basing their decisions on media reporting.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:

This is so disappointing...this post.

I have heard the "Storm of a lifetime"..not so much Storm of the Century".

In every case it is followed by a qualifier......FOR THIS AREA, or some other kind of qualifier.

The Weather channel does an outstanding job, but as with regular news, we as listeners have a responsibility to actually listen, understand the context before we jump on the internet and mock accurate reporting taken out of context. I have heard the Weather Channel in the last few days to caution people to not judge by the category number.

They predicted flooding and you go tell those who lost their homes how ****ed you are that certain words were used.

It is so dissapointing to me that with this or regular news how we feel the urgent need to criticize people who are smarter, and more in tune than those who listen and look for something that is not there.

Hard to conceive of anyone taking the time to post something like this. Make a donation to those who lost everything in the storm
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Very true and the flooding was predicted for the past week. Almost all of the counties near the coast in NC and SC issued MANDATORY evacuation orders 3 or 4 days before landfall yet you see on TV what has happened up there. Many, many people stayed and now emergency responders have to risk their lives to rescue them. I lived in NC for 26 years. I still own property in both NC and SC. People have become very hardened and skeptical because of the way the media has overblown so many of these events in the past and the people there simply don't believe them. The people there also think the government agencies issuing these evacuation orders are overreacting and basing their decisions on media reporting.
Exactly WHAT people are you referring to ? Insensitivity and lack of compassion runs amok
Old 09-15-2018, 07:10 PM
Gold member

[QUOTE=Bucco;1581468]Exactly WHAT people are you referring to ? Insensitivity and lack of compassion runs amok[/QUOTE

I am merely referring to people who didn't leave. I have relatives and friends there that didn't leave as well. We told them to get out but they wouldn't. They simply didn't believe the reports
Old 09-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,616 Times in 5,196 Posts

I don't blame people who ignore the authorities and refuse to evacuate their homes. People are not stupid and they know that they are consistently lied to every year. Here are some of the lies.

"This a mandatory evacuation" (no, it is actually voluntary).
"Looters will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law" (no, actually they may be arrested, but when they go to court, the judge will admonish them and let them go with almost no punishment).
"If you stay in your home, we will not come to rescue you" (no, we will come to rescue you even though we said we wouldn't).

I'm not recommending that people ignore the authorities, but, they should understand that people know when they are being lied to. Do not insult their intelligence. Tell the truth.
Closed Thread

Tags
hurricane, myrtle, webcam, beach, couldn’t

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.