Are we all really just cannibals?

Closed Thread
Old 10-24-2022, 06:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,125 Times in 873 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Cannibal means a person who eats the flesh of another human. I sort of doubt we are going to turn into that. I also doubt we are all going to be chewing the cud like cows anytime soon. Our teeth tend towards omnivore.
Agreed with all Velvet said. I think moderation in all things (NOT CANNIBALISM!!!) is my best bet.
Old 10-24-2022, 06:51 AM

Seems like most who replied didn't read the entire article. Yes, animal husbandry is one of the greatest sources of methane which is much more harmful to air quality than CO2. As well as depletion of forests that absorb excess CO2.

But no one picked up on the idea of animal cruelty that is involved in meat eating. To me that would be the biggest reason to become a vegetarian. And most of us, however, know the issues involved for nutritional deficiencies that vegans (no dairy) face, requiring some supplemental vitamins -- I think it's Vitamin K-2.

In any case, I thought it was an interesting article if provocative that made a lot of sense.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

I'm 77. In the 70s, people could track wherever I was by following the empty coke cans and pastry wrappers. I drank, smoked and did whatever drugs I could. The girl I was living with at the time was allergic to corn and oil and had to watch what she ate. One day I accompanied her to a health food store called Vim and Vigor across from Carnagey Hall. As you walk in there were a number of juicers and people sitting at the counter consuming whatever they were grinding. Half the people were orange from the carrot juice, and they all looked sick.
I couldn't wait to get out of there and wrap my hands around a hamburger.

My point of view is your doing it for health reasons or it makes you feel better go for it.
But if you're doing it to add a couple of years to your life your dead already.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Better question What if Bill Gates was buying all the cattle land so he could rid us of beef (polution crap) and make us eat ...... eeeewwwww I just can't say it.

but you get my drift.
Apples???
Old 10-24-2022, 07:37 AM
Default Extreme cruelty

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeOldeCurmudgeon View Post
Seems like most who replied didn't read the entire article. Yes, animal husbandry is one of the greatest sources of methane which is much more harmful to air quality than CO2. As well as depletion of forests that absorb excess CO2.

But no one picked up on the idea of animal cruelty that is involved in meat eating. To me that would be the biggest reason to become a vegetarian. And most of us, however, know the issues involved for nutritional deficiencies that vegans (no dairy) face, requiring some supplemental vitamins -- I think it's Vitamin K-2.

In any case, I thought it was an interesting article if provocative that made a lot of sense.

Factory farming of animals for eating is cruel inhumane and horrible. What the animals endure in the housing shipping and gruesome killing in inexcusable. And I won’t go into details. There is an expression that if there were glass walls in slaughter houses no one would eat meat.

I have not eaten meat or seafood for nearly 50 years and am extremely healthy
Old 10-24-2022, 07:53 AM
Default Remember

Soylent green is people!!!
Old 10-24-2022, 07:59 AM
Default False assumption

Quote:
Read this interesting article questioning what would happen if the human race turned vegetarian / vegan. This is not to say I am one, though I try to eat less meat, but it would have both positive and negative consequences. At present it is simply unrealistic but it seems to me that eventually, perhaps some centuries into the future, we will be viewed in the same way we view cannibals today.

What Would Happen If the World Suddenly Went Vegetarian?
Interesting article - thank you for sharing. However, anyone assuming that all pasture land can simply be converted to crop production has never attempted to farm. A piece of land may support grazing yet have unsuitable topography, soil, or water resources for growing food crops. The amount of additional soil erosion and depletion from crop conversion could also be sizable, significantly affecting fertility after a relatively short time. (As a girl in the 1970s, I remember my father pointing out scarred areas of land where almost nothing but broomsedge would grow, & saying he remembered folks growing corn there during the Great Depression.) Would like to see some figures based on a more realistic model.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:18 AM

Vegetables are what food eats.
Old 10-24-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Secondhand vegetarian diet. Only eat animals that are vegetarian. No meat eaters. Seafood is the reverse.
So you can be a second hand veg by eating deer? Asking for a friend who is a vegetarian.[/QUOTE]

It works for me. Have your friend give it a try. Just one bite, one juicy, tender, delicious bite.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:08 AM

Quote:

But no one picked up on the idea of animal cruelty that is involved in meat eating. To me that would be the biggest reason to become a vegetarian.
Totally with you on this. We're talking about sentient creatures who feel stress, pain, and fear. I don't have a problem with a young steer living on a pasture getting humanely slaughtered for meat and maybe (maybe?) the factory farms are up and up with animal welfare. But if that is so, why is it such a secretive business?

A few weeks ago I was at a motel and a woman was walking her pet pig. She was leash trained, she liked getting petted, and the woman let me feed her a carrot. They're a lot like your dog yet eating dogs is considered crazy and inhumane.

If I had the option I might just eat humans vs. animals.....just sayin' Might have to smoke them for awhile to soften up the meat though.

Joe
Old 10-24-2022, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,536 Times in 1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
Agreed with all Velvet said. I think moderation in all things (NOT CANNIBALISM!!!) is my best bet.
"NOT CANNIBALISM"? We are meat (most of us). We taste like pork (or so I've been told). Cannibals call humans "long pig". Ever cut your finger and suck off the blood? Pretty tasty, huh.
Old 10-24-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Read this interesting article questioning what would happen if the human race turned vegetarian / vegan. This is not to say I am one, though I try to eat less meat, but it would have both positive and negative consequences. At present it is simply unrealistic but it seems to me that eventually, perhaps some centuries into the future, we will be viewed in the same way we view cannibals today.

What Would Happen If the World Suddenly Went Vegetarian?
Don't eat anything with a face, although I do. Chickens are kept in cages where they can barely move. Slaughtering and killing are inhumane. Then there are the hunters who wound animals that get away and suffer. After killing, some hang their head on their walls, taxiderm them for rugs or make furs where the heads and paws clearly show. I'm reincarnating to Venus where the animals have the guns.
Old 10-24-2022, 11:19 AM

Surely you mean carnivore. A cannibalistic human... eats other humans.
Old 10-24-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:

This is why I became a vegetarian 5 years ago this past August. I read a book that was written by the CEO of the Humane Society (at the time, now someone else is the CEO) called "The Bond, Our Kinship with Animals, Our Call to Defend Them. I thought the book was going to be about puppy mills. It was about puppy mills as well as a lot of other inhumane things that animals go through. I've tried to take the step to becoming vegan but haven't been able to give up cheese, yet.

I was never a big fan of red meat or seafood. But it took me a long time to get used to not eating chicken, turkey or cold cuts. Today there are a lot of vegan options that taste like the real thing. (There are also a lot of recipes if someone would rather make these things themselves.) Although some of them aren't good. It's trial and error and personal taste.

B vitamins are important for vegetarians and vegans too.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I am an unrepentant carnivore, but love my vegetables as well.
Especially the ones I grow myself.
Many moons ago, ate some of the animals we raised as well.
Did they have names?
Closed Thread

Tags
cannibals, unrealistic, simply, present, consequences

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.