Wedding gift?

Closed Thread
Old 07-23-2021, 07:03 AM

We had 2 nephews get married in the last few years. Our gift was $500.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:08 AM
Default calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm1222 View Post
How Much Money Should I Give for a Wedding Gift | The Wedding Envelope

Here's a link to a website that calculates what you should give based on relationship, travel, etc.

That was pretty cool
Old 07-23-2021, 07:09 AM

Ditto
Old 07-23-2021, 07:25 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,238 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanman View Post
A card with $100 is a generous gift even today. You are paying to travel to be with family and that’s the most important thing-being there. We are going to Colorado for a family wedding in September. We will give a nice card and most likely $100 as a gift.
So funny I have a wedding in CO in Sept as well
Old 07-23-2021, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Thank you to those who were courteous enough to answer. In answer to your question, I hit a 999 instead of ooo should have been approximately 3,000 to attend. Flight to NY was almost $700, car rental in NY IS $500, (for a compact budget car) HOTEL IN NY IS $500 FOR only 3 nights, (discounted rate)transportation to Orlando airport $200 both ways, pet sitter $150, a round of golf with my sister $100 two days prior to wedding, food, gas, etc all add up. I only asked because it's been yrs since I've attended a wedding. I asked a couple friends and they haven't attended a wedding in yrs so we're not sure either. Now I have my answer. Thank u
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartnsoul View Post
Haven't attended a wedding in awhile. I know yrs ago it was $100 in a card. How much is it today for say a niece?
And I know this isn't revelant but is costing approximately $3,999 to attend
I have $500 to my nieces and nephew but since they have all been married about 20 years now, the ante may have gone up. I usually give $300 for non-family weddings. But, then again, being from NY/NJ we’re used to everything being higher there…
Old 07-23-2021, 07:45 AM

There are a number of questions that you should be considering. Am I going to travel to attend the wedding? The answer should consider will all of the attendees have received the vaccinations. How much do I really like the individual getting married. How much do I really like some of the people that I will see. How much is it going to cost to get there.

After pondering all of these questions, then based upon your financial ability you put a check in an envelope and mail it and graciously decline attending or you put the check in the envelope travel and incur all the expenses and hand the check with a kiss on the cheek.

Remember only kiss on the cheek if they are fully vaccinated. I hope this helps you make a decision.

Quote:
Haven't attended a wedding in awhile. I know yrs ago it was $100 in a card. How much is it today for say a niece?
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thank you to those who were courteous enough to answer. In answer to your question, I hit a 999 instead of ooo should have been approximately 3,000 to attend. Flight to NY was almost $700, car rental in NY IS $500, (for a compact budget car) HOTEL IN NY IS $500 FOR only 3 nights, (discounted rate)transportation to Orlando airport $200 both ways, pet sitter $150, a round of golf with my sister $100 two days prior to wedding, food, gas, etc all add up. I only asked because it's been yrs since I've attended a wedding. I asked a couple friends and they haven't attended a wedding in yrs so we're not sure either. Now I have my answer. Thank u
Found this;

How Much Do You Spend On A Wedding Gift?
The amount of money you spend on a wedding gift depends on your relationship with the bride and groom. You’ll want to consider how close you are to the happy couple before purchasing a gift so your selection is appropriate. When it comes to general gift etiquette though, try not to spend less than $50 on a wedding gift no matter your relationship with the couple. Follow our suggested spending categories below, organized by your relationship with the bride or groom:

Close Friend or Close Relative: $150+
Friend or Relative: $100-$125
Co-Worker, Distant Family-Friend, or Distant Relative: $50-$100
Old 07-23-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran member

Wow! It’s amazing how much people give for weddings. I say each situation is different. Depends on what you can afford, are willing to give and the nature of the relationship. Can’t base it on what others say. Even if you can afford to give hundreds and thousands it’s not always a good choice.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:15 AM
Default Gift

We try to figure the cost Per/person for the event then double that. We then add a little for extra.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I have always been taught that it is appropriate to "cover the cost of your plate". Thus if two are attending, and you estimate that the venue is costing the family $125pp, you should try to give $250 (and more if it is someone very close to you). That said, if the travel expenses alone are a stretch for your budget, give them a meaningful gift from your family - a piece from your family history if you are able to share something (the vase from your grandmother), or even a high-quality copy of a cherished family photo in a beautiful frame (ie the wedding photo of the great grandparents the bride descended from that are your grandparents?) along with a handwritten note.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
If they are on a gift registry, Bed Bath Beyond etc, you can select a gift they want within your budget and have it shipped to their house.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterray1 View Post
would one come on TOTV and ask this question? We dont have kids and give to our nieces and nephews for all the holidays. We know what to give. You dont?
Wow....you can't get much nastier than that!! Shame on you!
Old 07-23-2021, 09:09 AM
Default Wedding gift?

I have been wondering the same exact thing. What to give to a girl who was a neighbor and who I loved as a child, but has been out of the neighborhood living with her boyfriend for a few years already. her parent moved away two years ago and I’m sure we’ll never see any of them again. Now, at least 5 years later, she’s finally getting married with the reception on a Friday night in a steakhouse on Long Island, for about 200 people, 1 year after the original wedding was postponed due to covid. I haven’t been to a wedding in years. What is appropriate for a single person to give for a typical, Italian, New York wedding. Anyone from New York knows what New York weddings are like.

Quote:
Old 07-23-2021, 09:46 AM

Tos

Last edited by Pginbr; 08-07-2021 at 09:08 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
wedding, approximately, $3, 999, revelant, niece

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.