Weighted Blanket

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2019, 02:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Weighted Blanket

Has anyone tried a weighted blanket for sleep issues? They run around $100 and up. There are interesting thoughts on them, but don’t have any hands on experience. It’s 0321, I have tried sleepy time tea, melatonin, with little results.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Just looked them up, as I had never heard of them.
The one I saw gives a 60 day triall, full refund if not happy. I would try it and see.
Personaly, I just put the television on. Works better than Mogadon for me!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I bought my son one. He likes it but did say you cannot turn while it is on you. So if you like to toss and turn, this would not be for you.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts
Default I like mine

It is perfect for me.

But, you have to understand why. As a burn survivor (22%) it reminds me of the pressure garments I wore for months. At some level I am aware that it is there like a new born in a tight blanket wrap or a dog in a thunder coat. It provides some level of security. It provides a level of comfort.

I have no idea how it would feel for someone else except my wife who throws it back on my side.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM
Sage

They come in different weights. I bought one for my wife who had mentioned her desire for one. I got the lighter of the two offered and it was still too heavy. She returned it and got a child’s size and weight that works better for her. So make sure you get a trial period and exchange ability.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 AM
Sage

For sleep issues...I do CBD oil gummies and sleep wonderfully now. You can get them at the CBD store over near the Lowes on 441/27. I don't personally have experience with the blankets but have heard they work. I for one, wouldn't buy one as many nights I throw my covers off...some how added weight doesn't sound restful to me. If you get one come back and report how you like it!
Old 03-29-2019, 03:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

I normally sleep 2-4 hours, usually not consecutively. I am a light sleeper, due to 45 years of ON Call.

I am up and down during that time. I am a constant toss and turn. I sleep extremely warm.

Purchased a 15 pound weighted blanket from Prime.
Full Queen. It feels heavy when you pick it up, but really does weigh 15 pounds.

In the last 4 nights, not only did I sleep 5.7 to 6.4 hours, I never woke during that time. I found that until I fell asleep, I could easily turn to get comfortable.

The weight is evenly distributed in the whole blanket, so not much weight is really on you. What I found surprising is, the blanket is not warm at all, almost gives a Cooling effect. On one of our cooler nights I had a sheet, and the weighted blanket, was chilled enough to add a regular blanket.

If I would change anything it would be to get a twin size, so it does not have to take up entire bed.

So not sure if it works for all, but so far this is the best sleep I have had since my twenties.
Old 03-29-2019, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

I've always felt more comfortable "tucked in" than with the sheets loose. Probably for the same reason some folks like weighted blankets. It's a psychological thing, I think. I also prefer heavier blankets than light ones, and have a hand-crocheted half-size afghan my sister made covering my side of the bed. On top of the quilt, on top of the blanket, on top of the sheet. Once we move to Florida I'll probably just use the sheet and quilt, but I don't think I'll ever feel comfortable with anything lighter than that. Not even if I'm sweating my patooties off.
Closed Thread

Tags
weighted, blanket, it’s, experience, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.